HOW TO: 04-08 R1 Radiator Fan Bypass Switch - Page 3 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
How To's Please post your detailed How To's threads in here. They'll be of big help to owners of the R1.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 AM
I eat my R1

Nevermind! I'm smarter than i give myself credit for! I had printed it out and put the how to with my supplies.

R1-015 Ghostrider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 PM
I ride Ya-mama-ha..

yeah, I need to do this as well, but am getting 403'd! anyone got this info?
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 07:07 AM
I eat my R1

Locate your fan relay. (On the 07 - 08 model its under the left side fairing near the fuse box).

The relay has 2 heavier guage wires and 2 lighter gauge wires. 1 of the lighter wires is green and yellow. Splice another wire to this wire and run to your switch. (Existing wire still in place connected to relay, just tapping into it with the new wire)

From the other pole of the switch run a wire to a good earth. Make sure its a good earth, there are many fittings on the bike that look suitable but they are not an earth point. Use an existing earth to be sure. I used the one behind the instrument panel.

Done. Fans will still work as per factory but you can now also turn them on at anytime with flick of switch. They will turn off when ignition off so you can't accidentaly run down your battery.

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARBONAR1 View Post

Absolutely.
I have a switch on my 01 and my 06, and I haven't seen temps above 95 since.
Can u please tell me what order I should run the wires in I'm using a
Three prong switch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	631937  
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:19 AM
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alenr1 View Post
Can u please tell me what order I should run the wires in I'm using a
Three prong switch

Use the Load and Supply poles of the switch, doesn't matter which one to which.

The switch will not illuminate though if that is what you wanted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:09 AM
My R1 eats me.

Question Does this work for 09'-14' r1?

Does this guide also work for 09-14 r1? I need to do this mod badly. My bike has gotten all the way up to 250 in traffic and had to turn my bike off. I live in Tampa, Florida so there's a shit ton of traffic on top of being 100 with humidity.

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:01 AM
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Yzf View Post
Does this guide also work for 09-14 r1? I need to do this mod badly. My bike has gotten all the way up to 250 in traffic and had to turn my bike off. I live in Tampa, Florida so there's a shit ton of traffic on top of being 100 with humidity.

Yes works the same.

post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 02:21 PM
I FEEL THE NEED...FOR SPEED.

Send a message via MSN to Arxagelos
Guys did the mode as suggested here, thanks for the great info!!!
I put the switch in front, so it can be easily reached, I didn't cut anything just hold it with two Double-sided tape and a tire up.

Made a video toο.
Redgecko likes this.
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:00 PM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
Locate your fan relay. (On the 07 - 08 model its under the left side fairing near the fuse box).

The relay has 2 heavier guage wires and 2 lighter gauge wires. 1 of the lighter wires is green and yellow. Splice another wire to this wire and run to your switch. (Existing wire still in place connected to relay, just tapping into it with the new wire)

From the other pole of the switch run a wire to a good earth. Make sure its a good earth, there are many fittings on the bike that look suitable but they are not an earth point. Use an existing earth to be sure. I used the one behind the instrument panel.

Done. Fans will still work as per factory but you can now also turn them on at anytime with flick of switch. They will turn off when ignition off so you can't accidentaly run down your battery.
There's any problem with ECU or error code with this method? I was thinking to put one wire from positive pole of battery to the switch and then from switch to positive of the fan, and the negative from fan to negative of battery, it's possible? Or may i have any trouble?
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 AM
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick72 View Post
Just get a large fan that stays in front of where you park the bike. When you get home just turn on the large fan. I'll do that with my girlfriends GS500F because it's air/oil cooled. Then you don't have to worry about doing the switch and it will cool the whole bike, not just the radiator.
Smart simple idea!!!

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:41 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricR190 View Post
There's any problem with ECU or error code with this method? I was thinking to put one wire from positive pole of battery to the switch and then from switch to positive of the fan, and the negative from fan to negative of battery, it's possible? Or may i have any trouble?
No, the bike turns the fan on by grounding the -ve terminal on the relay. You're just doing the same thing with a switch.

The problem with your idea is that the switch and wiring will carry the full power for the fan. Much better to use the existing relay to do that.
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 AM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_R1 View Post
Quote:
No, the bike turns the fan on by grounding the -ve terminal on the relay. You're just doing the same thing with a switch.

The problem with your idea is that the switch and wiring will carry the full power for the fan. Much better to use the existing relay to do that.
So i just need to connect a piece of wire from green/yellow wire of relay to a switch and then from the other probe connect a ground? But my question is, where i need to connect the wire with green/yellow wire? I mean before(ECU-relay) or after(relay-fan) thanks
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:37 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
So i just need to connect a piece of wire from green/yellow wire of relay to a switch and then from the other probe connect a ground? But my question is, where i need to connect the wire with green/yellow wire? I mean before(ECU-relay) or after(relay-fan) thanks
It doesn't matter where you connect to the yellow- green wire. Either end or you could use a splice connector on the wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode