Public WiFi and Security - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
The Computer Guru Section Post all your computer related issues, FAQ's, How To's in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
4um ModR8r

Public WiFi and Security

Sort of an oxymoron eh?

I'm headed out of country in 2 weeks for a 5 week stint in Romania, then off 2 weeks and back to Romania for five more weeks. More than likely a 3rd trip will be in order.

Obviously I'll need to manage my finances, bill pay, banking and that sort of stuff but I don't want to do it over public WiFi. I can't afford a hardware VPN at home but I have read that services like GoToMyPC are safe and secure. That is, I install GoToMyPC host on my home desktop, leave it running and access it via public WiFi with my laptop. What say you IT gurus? Eric, Tony???

I'm very familiar with GoToMyPC as we use it at work to access client's workstations that don't have VPN. I don't mind paying for it if it's somewhat secure.

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN

Forgiveness is one of the greatest gifts God ever gave us.
(Anonymous friend)

sometimes it's just that simple...dont complicate corn flakes...
(Hydrashoks - from the ZRXOA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Μολὼν λαβέ
cya,
Goobr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 PM
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Have you looked into LogMeIn or their free VPN product Hitachi? I have it configured with another proxy client to use my office workstation's browser to connect to my internet connection at home for secure browsing... You can always RDP into your home computer if you have it setup on your firewall (allow 3389 or randomize the port to be even more secure)

Plenty of ways to skin this cat for free, and over public WiFi... Goodluck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21 | INSTAGRAM @igoldeneye21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40
Being a biker is not a welfare sport.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
4um ModR8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGoldeneye View Post
Have you looked into LogMeIn or their free VPN product Hitachi? I have it configured with another proxy client to use my office workstation's browser to connect to my internet connection at home for secure browsing... You can always RDP into your home computer if you have it setup on your firewall (allow 3389 or randomize the port to be even more secure)

Plenty of ways to skin this cat for free, and over public WiFi... Goodluck!
No, I haven't looked at LogMeIn, but I will. Thanks for the tip dude.

I like skinnin' free cats.

Dang,,,, I didn't think of RDP. Nice catch.

(Anonymous friend)

Μολὼν λαβέ
cya,
Goobr

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Did you say R1?

Send a message via AIM to designflaw Send a message via Yahoo to designflaw
I would also look into teamviewer. You install it on ur PC and from anywhere in the world can access it via login.teamviewer.com.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
4um ModR8r

Will do. Thanks!

(Anonymous friend)

Μολὼν λαβέ
cya,
Goobr
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Super Duper Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobr View Post
Sort of an oxymoron eh?

I'm headed out of country in 2 weeks for a 5 week stint in Romania, then off 2 weeks and back to Romania for five more weeks. More than likely a 3rd trip will be in order.
Good luck Ben! Make sure to get some good pictures of those beautiful Romanian women.

TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM
I miss my R1

There are also teamviewer apps available for Android smartphones/tablets (and I assume iOS as well)

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
4um ModR8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzombie View Post
There are also teamviewer apps available for Android smartphones/tablets (and I assume iOS as well)
Yep, iOS is supported. I compared and researched TeamViewer and LogMeIn today. TeamViewer is free for non-commercial use. LogMeIn has a freeware version but doesn't support file transfer. Most every comparison I read was in favor for TeamViewer. I decided to go with it.

I have the host set up on my home desktop and client set up on my personal laptop. She-bang, no problems and I'm sorta surprised at how fast it updates. I'm comfortable enough now to install on my new work laptop.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

(Anonymous friend)

Μολὼν λαβέ
cya,
Goobr
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
4um ModR8r

And again, thanks for the suggestions. I'm in Bucharest now and just hit up my home PC. No sweat, not a problem and I do believe TeamViewer is faster than PCAnywhere. Must have an R1 engine in it.

(Anonymous friend)

Μολὼν λαβέ
cya,
Goobr
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:37 AM
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Kind of late to the party. But, there's also Proxy and VPN products such as HideMyAss and others if you don't want to connect to your computer at home. But, need to be careful with some of these, as there are many proxy server companies out there that aren't on the up and up. You want to encrypt all communication to/from your computer in these environments.

Be careful with common protocols such as RDP, SSH, HTTP, etc. on your home network when you open these ports to the outside. These are very common ports that are targeted by bots, script kiddies and other crackers/hackers. If you're planning to use one of them, change it to a completely different uncommon port and really lock your external facing system down. Also, be sure to setup heavy logging, and put a script on your system to temporarily shut down access any time you get a certain number of failures in a short period of time.

• RIP to our fallen brothers. You will all be missed and remembered:
    • crazyclimbr - March 4, 2007
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode