I Touch Myself - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
The Computer Guru Section Post all your computer related issues, FAQ's, How To's in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
4um ModR8r

I Touch Myself

At my new build. My roomate, who is even more geekier than me, and I sat down last weekend and built a system for less than 2k. PC based, Windoze 7 - 64. I'm on it now. I was on a Dell XPS 600 from 2006 that cost me over 3k bucks. Got all my shit in from New Egg shipped to work on Friday, Had commitments on Saturday and now I sit in front of the fastest MoFo I have ever seen. Mind you , that's just me.

Anyway, I'm about as happy as a sack full of puppies. World of Warcraft is seamless,,,, Gotta find the newest bad azz PC game now.

Here's my specs. It ain't all that but it is to me.

Antec Performance One Series P193 V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

EVGA 03G-P4-2664-KR GeForce GTX 660 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 X 2 for 16gb

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2BAA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
For OS only

Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive For applications only

Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
For Storage

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN

Forgiveness is one of the greatest gifts God ever gave us.
(Anonymous friend)

sometimes it's just that simple...dont complicate corn flakes...
(Hydrashoks - from the ZRXOA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Μολὼν λαβέ
cya,
Goobr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Venom CO

Send a message via AIM to R1Buttercup Send a message via Yahoo to R1Buttercup
Dammit Ben I was like hmmmm at first lol!! Nice build

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sig by GearHeaded

THE NURSE
The real

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Nice build.

Be careful with those WD Raptor hard drives. I have had 4 of them, and all 4 failed.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 10:59 PM
look for special phrase here

must be nice to splurge 2k on a computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Quit shaking your head, you're creating a draft!

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
4um ModR8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
must be nice to splurge 2k on a computer
It dern sure was buddy! That was the outcome of spending 2 months in Romania and now I've learned, I'm cuttin' back out on July 8 for another 8 week stint there. Jeez I don't wanna go back over there but the bucks make it worth it. I'll be able to get my own place when I get back this time,,,, thanks to you and several others.

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN

Forgiveness is one of the greatest gifts God ever gave us.
(Anonymous friend)

sometimes it's just that simple...dont complicate corn flakes...
(Hydrashoks - from the ZRXOA)

Μολὼν λαβέ
cya,
Goobr
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Nom Nom Nom

WOW is about the worst real life proof of a system build. Try planetside 2 or crysis I would recommend PS2 as it is free. You should add a second SSD 128 and go raid 0 improves boot time if you use a raid controller with a built in processor. Mine is down to 15 seconds now.

Mike just Mike is all.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 AM
I wreck my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoriderx7x View Post
WOW is about the worst real life proof of a system build. Try planetside 2 or crysis I would recommend PS2 as it is free. You should add a second SSD 128 and go raid 0 improves boot time if you use a raid controller with a built in processor. Mine is down to 15 seconds now.
I understood just about half of all that...

I'm old.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 09:47 PM
damn turkeys

Send a message via AIM to rorytsm Send a message via Yahoo to rorytsm
what kind of raid setup did you guys do? i can honestly say i've never seen a combo of HD's like that. i'm about to go redundancy crazy, like raid 10 or something for my next build since my raid 5 just shit out on me last fall and cost me 17 years of saved collecting and work.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Tin Foil Hat

Not an Intel fan, personally. I've always love the black series AMDs. You can save some cash and still get a kick ass 8 core. I've also always been a fan of EVGAs cards, tied in with the Asus mobos.

I'm also confused as to why you wouldn't want your programs on a SSD too? You know that's probably going to be the most taxing to the system. Do you plan on running multiple VMs? Maybe multiple OS's?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Quote:
It's like kankles for your head!!

Your local HPT and EFI live tuner.

Last edited by NoxImus; 06-28-2013 at 10:55 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 PM
damn turkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxImus View Post
Not an Intel fan, personally. I've always love the black series AMDs. You can save some cash and still get a kick ass 8 core. I've also always been a fan of EVGAs cards, tied in with the Asus mobos.

so you like amd's and like evga cards which are close to exclusive to nvidia, but amd and nvidia components have had a nasty history together. you're either lucky or haven't built that many systems.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Tin Foil Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytsm View Post
so you like amd's and like evga cards which are close to exclusive to nvidia, but amd and nvidia components have had a nasty history together. you're either lucky or haven't built that many systems.
I built three of our work PCs, my own, and a buddy of mines. I've never had an issue pairing the two companies. Actually my own system running SLI evga 690s, runs like a beast.

My server for TS and some old L4D servers doesn't really count as a "PC". I run mint on that.

Quote:

Last edited by NoxImus; 06-28-2013 at 11:00 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Tin Foil Hat

Quote:
I built three of our work PCs, my own, and a buddy of mines. I've never had an issue pairing the two companies. Actually my own system running SLI evga 690s, runs like a beast.

My server for TS and some old L4D servers doesn't really count as a "PC". I run mint on that.

Quote:

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:03 PM
damn turkeys

Quote:

i would categorize that under lucky personally. i would like to think that in the past 5 years the companies have made vast improvements on pairing their components because of the market demand as you have suggested. that being said, i still go by the benchmarks and i have yet to see an amd out perform and intel of similar branding in the same tests. cheaper? yes, less overall performance? yes.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Tin Foil Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytsm View Post
i would categorize that under lucky personally. i would like to think that in the past 5 years the companies have made vast improvements on pairing their components because of the market demand as you have suggested. that being said, i still go by the benchmarks and i have yet to see an amd out perform and intel of similar branding in the same tests. cheaper? yes, less overall performance? yes.
The first PC I built was maybe 6 years ago, back when the 295 was a big deal.

The pixel per second and rendering capabilities for gaming for the i7 just doesn't do it for me when you look at cost.

For example: FX8350 vs i7 3770, I'd do AMD all day. But its kind of like asking a Chevy guy if he would ever buy a ford and arguing with him why he should. In the end either processor is a good choice. It all really depends on your budget, and what you want it to do.

Part of me has wanted to do an i7 build, I'll be honest about that. But I'd want to go all out, and my bank account says no.

Quote:

Last edited by NoxImus; 06-28-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode