Computer/IT guys come forth - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
The Computer Guru Section Post all your computer related issues, FAQ's, How To's in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
14k+ posts and not one helpful

Computer/IT guys come forth

Hey guys, I've been looking into getting a VPN for a few reasons. I have a few questions regarding them. From my basic understanding it just changes the IP address regularly correct? If that's the case does it still change if my ip address through my ISP is static?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for something that's reasonably priced and is fairly "idiot proof" I'm not the most computer smart person... I know a bit more than basics.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|R1-014 Dragon Squadron|Member # 09|
Covering: West/SW USA: CA, HI, NV, AZ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R1-Forum Genius:
Quote:
Originally Posted by montmont View Post
Alot of people talk down on ebay/Chinese products.. I don't understand why... our bikes come from Japan... same country people, duh...

TEAM SNACH

My Sponsors

Junito70-Bodywork
Grom111-Grom photography
Bgesch- Everything
DavidSFC- Alcohol & Bunny Food
Deja Vu Showgirls- "M"oral support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:34 PM
I miss my R1

It depends on what your goals are... are you interested in using a VPN to avoid getting caught pirating copyrighted materials, bypassing a firewall, etc?

If so, you will need more than VPN software, you will need a tunnel provider.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzombie View Post
It depends on what your goals are... are you interested in using a VPN to avoid getting caught pirating copyrighted materials, bypassing a firewall, etc?

If so, you will need more than VPN software, you will need a tunnel provider.
I'm looking for something (if it exists) that will basically change my IP regularly. I'm not really trying to remain anonymous for pirating or anything like that. Basically I'm trying to avoid getting hit offline by kids that know how to use Cain and Able

R1-Forum Genius:
Quote:
Alot of people talk down on ebay/Chinese products.. I don't understand why... our bikes come from Japan... same country people, duh...

TEAM SNACH

My Sponsors

Junito70-Bodywork
Grom111-Grom photography
Bgesch- Everything

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:53 PM
My R1 eats my $.

Sounds like what you are looking for is a proxy.

A vpn is used generally for connecting two physically separate locations to use the same network all through the internet or connecting from home to your office to access a server and it's network shares.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick72 View Post
Sounds like what you are looking for is a proxy.

A vpn is used generally for connecting two physically separate locations to use the same network all through the internet or connecting from home to your office to access a server and it's network shares.
Yeah, VPN is not what I want. Thank you both for the help.

Any tip/things to look for? I just googled it and it appears there are thousands of options from free to paid. One better than the other? Is that something that's simple to set up?

R1-Forum Genius:
Quote:

TEAM SNACH

My Sponsors

Junito70-Bodywork
Grom111-Grom photography
Bgesch- Everything
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 05:00 AM
#cantstopwontstop

Always go with paid. The service is waaaay more secure/faster/better than a free site.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 05:20 AM
Banned

There is nothing unbreakable as far as the network access goes. If you have files that you want keep private why not consider encryption software. There are few left that are military grade and very illegal in US but available elsewhere. But if loose your key - Goodbye data.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

So, I'm confused... I google for top reviewed paid proxy's and all I get is stuff for VPN's? I thought they were different things?

This is the one I'm looking at. Just based on the reviews. Anyone have something they prefer?
https://www.hidemyass.com/

R1-Forum Genius:
Quote:

TEAM SNACH

My Sponsors

Junito70-Bodywork
Grom111-Grom photography
Bgesch- Everything
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 01:46 PM
My R1 eats my $.

Good question. I haven't had to setup any proxies, I guess they go hand in hand. I do know that if you connect to a vpn and lookup your IP it will pull the IP of the network you are connecting to, which is what you are looking for. Either way it looks like hidemyass.com will be a good solution for you.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! Thank you so much for the help fellas! I'm so sick of getting hit offline

R1-Forum Genius:
Quote:

TEAM SNACH

My Sponsors

Junito70-Bodywork
Grom111-Grom photography
Bgesch- Everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode