Reunited after 10 years - Page 2 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Non R1 Motorcycle Section For all the Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, Ducatis and all the rest.

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
R1 & Done
 
docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 148
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
Wow from the looks of the pics you would think it was a super low mileage bike. Iíve had 2 zx7 and wow fairing parts were expensive for that baby. Hard to believe how heavy the pieces are on that bike. But it was the shit in my eyes right up until the R1 came out. Actually the R7 was is and always will be a dream but I knew it just wasnít going to happen. Lol so the R1 has been my passion since 1998. Iíve always been a Yamaha fan with the exception of the love I had for the zx7. Itís so weird seeing one in person nowadays they look like a dinosaur. Lol but it sure is a pretty one.
A very good friend of mine owned it and he took great care of it. The R7 is awesome, Iconic Motorbikes has one right now. They deal with classic sportbikes, imma a huge fan of there stuff. I do love the R1 over the ZX7R for sure, I actually bought this bike to take to an advanced riders course but that is post poned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgecko View Post
We appear to have a similar taste in bikes, This was my ZX7
Beautiful man, still have it?

**CURRENT**2006 CBR100RR-- 2007 GSX-R 1000---2009 Yamaha R6---2006 Yamaha R1 50th---1967 Camaro RS---1968 Pontiac GTO---99 Camaro SS---2001 Trans AM WS6---2002 Escalade---2002 Camaro Z28---2008 Corvette Z06 SELLING 2002 ZX7R AND 2002 ZRX1200R
docrocket1967 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
R1 & Done
 
docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 148
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy boy View Post
Nice bikes brother! Love that kawi!
Still riding my 03 gixxer with almost 150k
That is awesome. Mind posting some pictures? Have you had to do anything major to it over the years or just routine maintenance? I love hearing about high mileage sport bikes

**CURRENT**2006 CBR100RR-- 2007 GSX-R 1000---2009 Yamaha R6---2006 Yamaha R1 50th---1967 Camaro RS---1968 Pontiac GTO---99 Camaro SS---2001 Trans AM WS6---2002 Escalade---2002 Camaro Z28---2008 Corvette Z06 SELLING 2002 ZX7R AND 2002 ZRX1200R
docrocket1967 is offline  
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:58 PM
THEONEGTIVR6
 
Jaketheone46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florence Ky
Posts: 1,267
Wow that is awesome a 03 gsxr 150k ??? Wow
Hey Iím now curious as to why you picked up a zx7 for the advanced riders course when you have the R1 and a gsxr 750 both of which Iíd prefer for a advanced course myself. Just curious??

04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby
Jaketheone46 is offline  
 
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:28 PM
I eat my R1
 
Jimmy boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrocket1967 View Post
That is awesome. Mind posting some pictures? Have you had to do anything major to it over the years or just routine maintenance? I love hearing about high mileage sport bikes
I would but my pictures for reasons unknown post upside down? Only on this forum. Iím not very computer literate either
https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/atta...1&d=1547274170


This is what I mean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C243EC19-A7C2-4E86-8F86-79E005EBF508.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	994823   Click image for larger version

Name:	4A0D2FE3-257A-495B-AF62-44D3D68E64B6.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	994825  
Jimmy boy is offline  
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
R1 & Done
 
docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 148
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
Wow that is awesome a 03 gsxr 150k ??? Wow
Hey Iím now curious as to why you picked up a zx7 for the advanced riders course when you have the R1 and a gsxr 750 both of which Iíd prefer for a advanced course myself. Just curious??
R1 i dont want to wreck cause it's a 50th

GSXR1000 i dont want to wreck cause it is a unusual paint scheme and it is close to mint and its my eleanor

CBR1000R i dont want to wreck cause it is a limited edition and rare

Yamaha R6 I daily drive it.

Those first 3 are all bikes i drooled over and loved when they came out, now im older and i enjoy them and treat them like queens. I dont really care for Kawasaki and the ZX7R if i wrecked it it wouldnt be the end of the world for me. Ive actually never wrecked but I also dont want to beat on or damage something i have sentimental value towards or dreamed about. Hope that makes sense.

**CURRENT**2006 CBR100RR-- 2007 GSX-R 1000---2009 Yamaha R6---2006 Yamaha R1 50th---1967 Camaro RS---1968 Pontiac GTO---99 Camaro SS---2001 Trans AM WS6---2002 Escalade---2002 Camaro Z28---2008 Corvette Z06 SELLING 2002 ZX7R AND 2002 ZRX1200R
docrocket1967 is offline  
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
R1 & Done
 
docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 148
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy boy View Post
I would but my pictures for reasons unknown post upside down? Only on this forum. Iím not very computer literate either
https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/atta...1&d=1547274170


This is what I mean
It was worth me turning my screen upside down to see, thanks for sharing man it looks like it is in great shape.

**CURRENT**2006 CBR100RR-- 2007 GSX-R 1000---2009 Yamaha R6---2006 Yamaha R1 50th---1967 Camaro RS---1968 Pontiac GTO---99 Camaro SS---2001 Trans AM WS6---2002 Escalade---2002 Camaro Z28---2008 Corvette Z06 SELLING 2002 ZX7R AND 2002 ZRX1200R
docrocket1967 is offline  
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:51 PM
I eat my R1
 
Jimmy boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrocket1967 View Post
It was worth me turning my screen upside down to see, thanks for sharing man it looks like it is in great shape.
Thanks! I had a 90 zx10 that I put 100k on, but it didnít run really well at that point. The suz wonít stop runnin😬 Iíve change a few ecuís and fuel pumps. At 100k change timing chain. It burns a little oil, but still moves out pretty quick. Itíll launch better than my 17r1m too
Jimmy boy is offline  
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:08 PM
THEONEGTIVR6
 
Jaketheone46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florence Ky
Posts: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrocket1967 View Post
R1 i dont want to wreck cause it's a 50th

GSXR1000 i dont want to wreck cause it is a unusual paint scheme and it is close to mint and its my eleanor

CBR1000R i dont want to wreck cause it is a limited edition and rare

Yamaha R6 I daily drive it.

Those first 3 are all bikes i drooled over and loved when they came out, now im older and i enjoy them and treat them like queens. I dont really care for Kawasaki and the ZX7R if i wrecked it it wouldnt be the end of the world for me. Ive actually never wrecked but I also dont want to beat on or damage something i have sentimental value towards or dreamed about. Hope that makes sense.
I see now it makes more sense, the R1 is my passion and always has been since 1998 when they first came out. Before that the zx7 was my love and I had a 94 and a 96 model zx7. My current 04 R1 is my absolute favorite bike Iíve ever owned. Found it a year or so ago absolutely mint with 715 miles on it. 4,500 miles on it now and I love it.

04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby
Jaketheone46 is offline  
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Hope is what makes us Human.
 
Benocehcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Azores,Portugal
Posts: 8,315
Cool story bro! Ian can be ur best friend...He loves yellow too


I forgotten how BIG the headlights were on these 04-06's. Some jap must of got a little off the drawing board with that one


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Not every legend is a myth, some are flesh and blood. Some legends walk among us, but they arenít born, theyíre built. Legends are made from iron & sweat, mind and muscle, blood and vision and victory. Legends are champions, they grow, they win, they conquer.
Benocehcap is offline  
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
R1 & Done
 
docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 148
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy boy View Post
Thanks! I had a 90 zx10 that I put 100k on, but it didnít run really well at that point. The suz wonít stop runnin😬 Iíve change a few ecuís and fuel pumps. At 100k change timing chain. It burns a little oil, but still moves out pretty quick. Itíll launch better than my 17r1m too
That's awesome man. How come you had to change ECU so many times though? When you swap them out will it start right away or does it need to be flashed at that point?

**CURRENT**2006 CBR100RR-- 2007 GSX-R 1000---2009 Yamaha R6---2006 Yamaha R1 50th---1967 Camaro RS---1968 Pontiac GTO---99 Camaro SS---2001 Trans AM WS6---2002 Escalade---2002 Camaro Z28---2008 Corvette Z06 SELLING 2002 ZX7R AND 2002 ZRX1200R
docrocket1967 is offline  
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
R1 & Done
 
docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 148
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
I see now it makes more sense, the R1 is my passion and always has been since 1998 when they first came out. Before that the zx7 was my love and I had a 94 and a 96 model zx7. My current 04 R1 is my absolute favorite bike Iíve ever owned. Found it a year or so ago absolutely mint with 715 miles on it. 4,500 miles on it now and I love it.
715 miles? wow man that's crazy. Got any pictures? How come the previous owner didn't put any miles on it?

**CURRENT**2006 CBR100RR-- 2007 GSX-R 1000---2009 Yamaha R6---2006 Yamaha R1 50th---1967 Camaro RS---1968 Pontiac GTO---99 Camaro SS---2001 Trans AM WS6---2002 Escalade---2002 Camaro Z28---2008 Corvette Z06 SELLING 2002 ZX7R AND 2002 ZRX1200R
docrocket1967 is offline  
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
R1 & Done
 
docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 148
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benocehcap View Post
Cool story bro! Ian can be ur best friend...He loves yellow too


I forgotten how BIG the headlights were on these 04-06's. Some jap must of got a little off the drawing board with that one
Lol sounds good....who is Ian though? lol

Yeah I had a 2010 and a 1999 before this and you are right the headlights do have alot more real estate then other years.

**CURRENT**2006 CBR100RR-- 2007 GSX-R 1000---2009 Yamaha R6---2006 Yamaha R1 50th---1967 Camaro RS---1968 Pontiac GTO---99 Camaro SS---2001 Trans AM WS6---2002 Escalade---2002 Camaro Z28---2008 Corvette Z06 SELLING 2002 ZX7R AND 2002 ZRX1200R
docrocket1967 is offline  
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:39 AM
I eat my R1
 
Jimmy boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrocket1967 View Post
That's awesome man. How come you had to change ECU so many times though? When you swap them out will it start right away or does it need to be flashed at that point?
The first Ecu lasted about a 100k .
Spark and timing would start to scatter when it would get hot. It was difficult to diagnose as well.
Iím not sure if they ever flashed the old bikes. Just put it in and fires right up.
Jimmy boy is offline  
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
R1 & Done
 
docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 148
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy boy View Post
The first Ecu lasted about a 100k .
Spark and timing would start to scatter when it would get hot. It was difficult to diagnose as well.
Iím not sure if they ever flashed the old bikes. Just put it in and fires right up.
Is that a common issue for that year or just a freak thing

**CURRENT**2006 CBR100RR-- 2007 GSX-R 1000---2009 Yamaha R6---2006 Yamaha R1 50th---1967 Camaro RS---1968 Pontiac GTO---99 Camaro SS---2001 Trans AM WS6---2002 Escalade---2002 Camaro Z28---2008 Corvette Z06 SELLING 2002 ZX7R AND 2002 ZRX1200R
docrocket1967 is offline  
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:34 AM
I eat my R1
 
Jimmy boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrocket1967 View Post
Is that a common issue for that year or just a freak thing
I think the real question would be how many sport bikes even hit a 100k before theyíre destroyed from other things?
Jimmy boy is offline  
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 01:56 PM
THEONEGTIVR6
 
Jaketheone46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florence Ky
Posts: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrocket1967 View Post
715 miles? wow man that's crazy. Got any pictures? How come the previous owner didn't put any miles on it?
Well the guy selling it actually had 3 for sale and all 3 were his bikes he bought brand new. A 98 R1,04 R1 and a Ducati. The 98 R1 was his daily I guess you would call it with 3,500 miles on it the 04 (mine) had 715 and the Ducati had 66 miles on it. I guess he just liked taking care of them more than anything. Here’s a pic of mine when it was for sale and one of it now.


04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby
Jaketheone46 is offline  
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
R1 & Done
 
docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 148
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy boy View Post
I think the real question would be how many sport bikes even hit a 100k before theyíre destroyed from other things?
This I have read alot on, more so when searching for the info on how much longevity you can get from a sport bike engine. The more I read the more I found out the engines can actually live into very high miles BUT dont because they are usually wrecked. I would say a solid 90% get wrecked or dont reach over 60K miles

**CURRENT**2006 CBR100RR-- 2007 GSX-R 1000---2009 Yamaha R6---2006 Yamaha R1 50th---1967 Camaro RS---1968 Pontiac GTO---99 Camaro SS---2001 Trans AM WS6---2002 Escalade---2002 Camaro Z28---2008 Corvette Z06 SELLING 2002 ZX7R AND 2002 ZRX1200R
docrocket1967 is offline  
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
R1 & Done
 
docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 148
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
Well the guy selling it actually had 3 for sale and all 3 were his bikes he bought brand new. A 98 R1,04 R1 and a Ducati. The 98 R1 was his daily I guess you would call it with 3,500 miles on it the 04 (mine) had 715 and the Ducati had 66 miles on it. I guess he just liked taking care of them more than anything. Hereís a pic of mine when it was for sale and one of it now.
That's awesome, I laughed when you said it was his daily driver with 3500 miles.... hahaha. The bike looks incredible, would love to find a low mileage older bike like that in a future. I can understand enjoying taking care of them more then enjoying riding them. You will see in my signature I have more then one person could ever drive and enjoy but i enjoy them all in different ways. Some of those ways are just maintaining them appearance and mechanically.

**CURRENT**2006 CBR100RR-- 2007 GSX-R 1000---2009 Yamaha R6---2006 Yamaha R1 50th---1967 Camaro RS---1968 Pontiac GTO---99 Camaro SS---2001 Trans AM WS6---2002 Escalade---2002 Camaro Z28---2008 Corvette Z06 SELLING 2002 ZX7R AND 2002 ZRX1200R
docrocket1967 is offline  
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 AM
I eat my R1
 
Jimmy boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrocket1967 View Post
This I have read alot on, more so when searching for the info on how much longevity you can get from a sport bike engine. The more I read the more I found out the engines can actually live into very high miles BUT dont because they are usually wrecked. I would say a solid 90% get wrecked or dont reach over 60K miles
I would say your numbers are correct. Iíve heard a lot of Busaís Go the distance
When my Kawi hit a 100k most were in disbelief since itís always the bmwís that would get that sort of miles. When I bought the gixxer, it was the highest hp at the time 153 at rear tire and pretty light. I never thought it would hit a 100k due to everything being so light and a lot of hp. I even bet my old mechanic that it would be lucky to hit 60k! Now I think itíll go 200k and since itís not really worth anything, Iím going for it😬😬
Itíll be interesting to me to see if Yammie can go the distance. In 2000 I bought my first one. It was a great bike and I put 8k in the first 8 months, but it got stolen.
Jimmy boy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome