First time Trackday Questions and Answers - Page 4 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Trackdays / Schools A place to improve your skills and discuss trackday and riding school events.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Convention main man

Send a message via AIM to Gawarrior
trust me...it never ends and just gets worse!! hahaha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN

WERA #14 Expert

WERA A Superstock Novice National Champion
WERA B Superstock Novice National Champion
WERA C Superstock Novice National Champion

RIP: Kelly "K_FleXXX" Brown -- Passed - 15 JUNE 06
RIP: Glenn "Elviswarrior" June 16 07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Lock & Load

I'll post a couple of saftey wire pics today when i get to work. I have them from when i first started

CCS #18
post #63 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Lock & Load

Here you go. I guess I only have one picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	safety wire.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	322478  

CCS #18

post #64 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 AM
No Comment ...

Send a message via AIM to hayaboosta
for those that have done safety wire, did you use a drill bit jig? or did you just take your time and break alot of bits? talked to a buddy of mine and he said just go buy ALOT of small drillbits and take your sweet time, but im thinking there has to be an easier way. Another question i have is, On the 04-06, not sure about other years, we had that oil fill bolt that doesn't have a handle, rather a groove, how would one go about safety wireing that? just drill a hole really close to the side and then cut a groove for the wire so you can still get it completely closed? im not sure what the rules are, but i would think you'd need that wired shut. If not, then dont mind my question

381 RIP Grandpa - 8-13-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayaboosta View Post
Then again, im a moron and have no idea what im talking about half the time (true story!)
post #65 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Ginger's Pillar of Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfaster View Post
Here you go. I guess I only have one picture
TY

Is there a common tap size for the bolt? assuming I am using the term correctly as in a tap from a tap and die kit?

Or do you really have to drill the bolt; damn that seems like it would take forever...

what is the bolt in the top of the picture?

I see the wire kit from that site mentioned earlier, did you use that/ are ppl using it, or just do it by hand?
basicly is the little tool worth $20?

My girl may be down, but she's not out

@
ness

Saving up for next season...

Last edited by r1armadillo; 02-04-2008 at 03:32 PM.
post #66 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:14 AM

Do you have to cut the wire and rewire everytime?
If so, seems like the tool would be worth it.

Does anyone sell a predrilled bolt?

@
ness

post #67 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Lock & Load

Yes it's a pain in the ass, so get comfortable, you'll be there for a while. You will break less bits the better you get at it. I use 1/16 th bits. Some cutting oil will also help. Yes you have to cut the wire everytime you change the oil. The tool is only 12-14 bucks. A drill press would make things easier. The bolt at the top of the picture is for draining the coolant on a 04 to 06 r1. You don't have to wire it for track days but you do for racing. I bought a oil fill plug for a 02 r1. It has the handle to drill into and fits the 04's. I have seen people use the stock one but didn't pay attention to it because I didn't use it.

CCS #18

Last edited by pbfaster; 02-05-2008 at 08:59 AM.
post #68 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

hmmm had the desire of track for a while now. might try to get to one this year. guess im just tired of the gravel, cars, blind corners, and most of all when i go down again there will be no bank , cliff, or tree to worry about. Alot of friends tell me i should get another bike for the track but i keep thinking alot easier to wreck on the streets than on the track due to unforseen obsticles.
post #69 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the input Pb.

For the racing AND track day aspect I can NOT believe that I can't find track specific items like a predrilled bolt...
*says sarcasticly to self* how many non-pro racers are out there?...

Jean, I completely agree. I guess the idea is you're going to go faster (at some point) on the track and the potential goes up to wreck. If you wreck a track bike, you still have your road bike. Plus the track bike will get all the "racing" goodies that are "NEEDED" to go faster on the track and therefore makes you better on the road... it's a vicious circle.

@
ness

post #70 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Lock & Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1armadillo View Post
Thanks for the input Pb.

For the racing AND track day aspect I can NOT believe that I can't find track specific items like a predrilled bolt...
*says sarcasticly to self* how many non-pro racers are out there?...

Jean, I completely agree. I guess the idea is you're going to go faster (at some point) on the track and the potential goes up to wreck. If you wreck a track bike, you still have your road bike. Plus the track bike will get all the "racing" goodies that are "NEEDED" to go faster on the track and therefore makes you better on the road... it's a vicious circle.
You can find some predrilled bolts here and there. Ity seemed like everytime I found a sight that offered them they would be on back odrder something.

Have fun on your track day!!

CCS #18
post #71 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 09:01 PM
My R1 excites me...

Send a message via MSN to adaptiv1 Send a message via Yahoo to adaptiv1
I did my first trackday at JenningsGP in Florida. I went thru Ed Bargy's race school...very good. I do know that if ya go to the track's website (jenningsgp.com) you'll find a link to Ed's site...he offers the safety wire kits for most bikes, and they come with pre-drilled bolts, etc.

'06 Raven R1:

Ti-Force full system/PC IIIusb/Graves V-stacks/BMC filter/Dynoed w-custom map/Galfer SS lines frnt & rear w-HH pads/Vortex adj. rearsets/Pazzo shorties/Greggs billet barends/LSL sliders/Redline spools/Hotbodies flushmounts/LED running lights/ClearAlternatives integrated tail/Greggs billet tag bracket/Patricks Performance billet res. covers frnt & rear/GYTR billet oil cap/OEM solo seat/Pilot Powers.

'05 Track Weapon R1: (under construction)
post #72 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the info. That site has a lot of items that I have not seen elsewhere.

Did you go with that kit? Or do it by hand

@
ness

post #73 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptiv1 View Post
I did my first trackday at JenningsGP in Florida. I went thru Ed Bargy's race school...very good. I do know that if ya go to the track's website (jenningsgp.com) you'll find a link to Ed's site...
Did you do the one or two day school? I've done many track days at JenningGP, but I'd love to take his school one of these days.

Rest in Peace Glenn "Elvis" Breaux - June, 17th 2007 and Chad Clifton - June, 25th 2008. You will always be with me when I ride. I will never forget you.

post #74 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Convention main man

do it randy...then go racing!!

WERA #14 Expert

post #75 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Track Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1armadillo View Post
Do you have to cut the wire and rewire everytime?
If so, seems like the tool would be worth it.

Does anyone sell a predrilled bolt?
you can use some of these for the oil drain plug & fill

Team: FSU Racing

Last edited by HKB3; 02-15-2008 at 04:29 PM.
post #76 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:25 PM
No Comment ...

Send a message via AIM to hayaboosta
i tried safety wiring yesterday, what a PITA! after figureing out the pinch bolts which i dont think i have wired right i moved onto the brake bolts, well needless to say i broke 2 bits on one bolt and finally said forget it. i wouldn't of gotten so frusterated but the bit broke off inside the head of the bolt so i had to try to drill another hole and that bit broke off inside also. May soke that bolt in hot water so hopefully it'll swell a little and they'll fall out. the bits were titanium so hopefully they wont swell as much as the aluminum bolts. what do you think?

381 RIP Grandpa - 8-13-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayaboosta View Post
Then again, im a moron and have no idea what im talking about half the time (true story!)
post #77 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Convention main man

Good luck. drilling these things you have to be patient and very careful. It helps to go in and out a lot and not try and drill the hole all at once. Also helps to lubricate the drill bit.

WERA #14 Expert

post #78 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 01:09 PM
A Little BRIT Different

Yes Randy come racing wiv us

Love to see ya its a bunch of fun as you already know

Was you in that mock race at Jennings when we were there last

I wish Jennings was not a 12 hour drive for me as I would really like to get to grip with the track and get better times,,, I was happy for my first time out there but know I can do much better

Looking forward to RA,, are you gonna be there?

Later

WERA #111 Expert Racer, Regional Champion 2009/10

2009 Raven R-1 For Fun when I get time

2009 R-6 Full AMA Supersport Legal
also for sale
post #79 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKB3 View Post
you can use some of these for the oil drain plug & fill

And where can I find these? I did not see these at that guys (edbargySchool) site.
Would be nice as you don't have to twist wire everytime.

@
ness

post #80 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyna View Post
Yes Randy come racing wiv us

Love to see ya its a bunch of fun as you already know

Was you in that mock race at Jennings when we were there last

I wish Jennings was not a 12 hour drive for me as I would really like to get to grip with the track and get better times,,, I was happy for my first time out there but know I can do much better

Looking forward to RA,, are you gonna be there?

Later
Yes, I did do a mock race there awhile back. It might have been when we were there in Jan of '07. I didn't do the one a few weeks ago at Jennings. I hope we can all get together again maybe late Winter next year for another Jennings day. I'll have to pass on RA this year. Money is tight at this time. I'll be putting 2K into home improvements over the next few weeks. Gotta save up for the Gap trip and MotoGP in Sept. I can tell you I'll be back with Nesba for '09 and plan to hit up Road Atlanta and Barber again. My plan is to take the Ed Bargey school next Winter at Jennings and do more track riding in '09.

Rest in Peace Glenn "Elvis" Breaux - June, 17th 2007 and Chad Clifton - June, 25th 2008. You will always be with me when I ride. I will never forget you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode