Pirelli slicks - SC2 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Trackdays / Schools A place to improve your skills and discuss trackday and riding school events.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Pirelli slicks - SC2

All, I was at auto club speedway yesterday with fasttrack riders and used Pirelli SC2 on my 2005 r1 for the first time. I am not that fast, running intermediate pace around 1:47-1:48. Loved the tyres, but the rear type left side wear marks were completed gone after 1 day. I was running 25-26 hot on the rear.

Any ideas on why the tyre wear is so quick? how can I get more than one trackday out of it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34FDA459-3C09-4C36-B0D3-E1AED2FE23ED.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	998115   Click image for larger version

Name:	C3E08873-2B91-4C84-AB77-C26716E0DBCB.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	998117   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1885(3).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	464.4 KB
ID:	998119  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Astronomer not Astrologer

I think they were a tic hot, you could probably bump up the pressures a few tics. It also depends on how abrasive the track is.

I run the SC1 at 28 hot I the rear, but generally the tracks I ride here have new pavement that is abrasive.

Can you take a clear picture of the wear holes?

P.S. I get ~6-8 days from the rear with a flip in the middle. At a upper I pace. Was chasing the track temps a bit that day but you can see how much cooler that tire is vs yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Raven R1
Mods: Custom Fender Eliminator, Custom Rear Res. Bracket, Custom Clutch Sliders, Spiegler Rennsport SS F/R Brake Lines, Driven Clip-ons, Domino MotoGP Grips, Zero Gravity Smoke DB Windscreen, M4 Y-Pipe, Vance&Hines CS One cans, Shogun Sliders, Graves Stacks, F-T custom image w/Bazzaz QS sensor, Galespeed VRC MC, CL Braking Pads, RaceDAC Data Logger, RaceTech Springs and G3S Rear Shock, F1Composites bodywork.

Last edited by Tad158; 04-20-2019 at 11:33 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

pics of the rear tyre, Makes sense I should have increased the psi. What pressure you run on a hot track?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	206DCA99-A721-444C-8F23-E98C4C82E455_1555789931420.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	998121   Click image for larger version

Name:	3BD3F79F-7BE3-4AF0-A2FD-12613B7186A0_1555789955444.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	998123  

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:45 PM
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90

You can end up chasing issues like this for quite a while.

It looks like the surface is overheating a bit and the rubber is starting to superheat. Naturally Pirelli's have a tendency to have this behaviour moreso than other brands as temperature rises, but it looks more prevalent than usual. It does look consistent across the arch however and we don't see any obvious tearing. Usually if you are overheating due to bottoming or incorrect spring rate, you see it on the edge where maximum load occurs, but both the center, driveline and edges are relatively consistent. I'd be curious if they feel greasy, in particular when you get on the throttle driving out of corners? Do they feel greasier as the session goes on? As suggested a bit more pressure would be where I'd start.

No offence to TAD's post, but that tire looks odd, as though its somewhat underdampened and is pogo-ing in the corners given the inconsistency in the wear causing some tearing.

Of course your suspension is going to play a big hand in this. I can't quite tell from the picture what it is, is it stock?
If that's the case, its possible the shock is starting to fade as it heats up.

If you are looking for data, here are a few pictures for comparison using a K-tech 35DDS, on a rough track with an SC2 that I would argue is pretty close to ideal. Usually there is a bit more smear on the tires, I think it was a cooler day. I'll do 2-2 1/4 days on a rear, which is consistent with other brands, mid pro-level pace. Given the price of tires, strongly consider having that shock looked at or rebuilt. It will cost you a bit for a proper shock/service, but eating a tire a day gets spendy. Start from a known quantity and adjust from there. Also look at your spring rate/weight.

We've all chased setup, its great when you get it, but frustrating when you can't
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181009_191210.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	998125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180907_124134.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	998127  

Last edited by smergy; 04-20-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

thanks for the pics, is it a 2015+ r1 wheel? suspension is stock and i have not noticed any major sliding. I will get the suspension checked out. It was close 100F and i was running 25/26, will try 28 for the next track day.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:10 PM
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90

It is, try 28 and see how it goes, it's possible the soft compound is better at that temperature, but on a rough track you may not get a lot of life. This is just a guess though. Also try bringing a small fan to put some air across the rear shock between sessions and cool it down. Generally stock components are never really designed for aggressive track use

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:11 PM

@ravenr , that tire has a ton of life left in it still. Deff over heated the tire. Like I said I am usually using 28 as my starting point on a hot our abrasive track.
@smergy , yes that was a weird wear pattern, that did end up clearing up once I got the pressure right, was slightly too high (29.5, after I found my old and cheap gage was reading low) resulting in a cold tare plus a slight rebound issue. That was just the last pic I could find of my tire from last year. My point was only to show how much smoother and less melted it looked everywhere else other than that area. The op's tire just looked generally too hot, and adding pressure might have chilled it down enough to get the life he is expressing out of it.

2009 Raven R1
Mods: Custom Fender Eliminator, Custom Rear Res. Bracket, Custom Clutch Sliders, Spiegler Rennsport SS F/R Brake Lines, Driven Clip-ons, Domino MotoGP Grips, Zero Gravity Smoke DB Windscreen, M4 Y-Pipe, Vance&Hines CS One cans, Shogun Sliders, Graves Stacks, F-T custom image w/Bazzaz QS sensor, Galespeed VRC MC, CL Braking Pads, RaceDAC Data Logger, RaceTech Springs and G3S Rear Shock, F1Composites bodywork.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:30 PM
Cabin Fever!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad158 View Post
I think they were a tic hot, you could probably bump up the pressures a few tics. It also depends on how abrasive the track is.

I run the SC1 at 28 hot I the rear, but generally the tracks I ride here have new pavement that is abrasive.

Can you take a clear picture of the wear holes?

P.S. I get ~6-8 days from the rear with a flip in the middle. At a upper I pace. Was chasing the track temps a bit that day but you can see how much cooler that tire is vs yours.
that wear pattern looks like something is not right, a heavier spring or slower rebound maybe? Im not a professional by any means but it looks funky to me
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:47 PM
Cabin Fever!

Garage
to OP, it could be a technique issue as well as temp issue... slowing too much for corners and compensating by harder acceleration out of the corner is gonna chew em up quicker.... my lefts go faster than rights for that reason...Mr. Ken Hill told me I was doing it wrong haha.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Yeah that’s another reason for sure, otherwise I will be a lot more faster. ., need to learn to brake well and carry speed through the turns
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:17 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
for warmer weather sc1 is needed on the rear. you typically chew up the sc2's quicker

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:07 AM
THEONEGTIVR6

I’ve always burned through tires much faster than everyone else in the pack, being a heavy rider on a 1000 can wear through a tire quickly. No idea if the op is a big guy or not though but it can definitely affect how many days you can get out of a tire.

04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaddict View Post
that wear pattern looks like something is not right, a heavier spring or slower rebound maybe? Im not a professional by any means but it looks funky to me
That was my tire, not the op's tire....I have solved that issue...Was not spring was pressure and rebound. Again was mearly showing how much cooler the rest of the tire was compared to the op's tires....

I think I should remove that pic to lessen the confusion.....

2009 Raven R1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode