2019 MotoGP Season **Spoiler Alert** - Page 9 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
MotoGP Forum for the latest in MotoGP news an events.

 101Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:46 AM
wanna B on the Track
 
castrolr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Back to Texas
Posts: 1,023
Send a message via AIM to castrolr1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightSuccess View Post
How is it MM continually pulls away on soft tires from the rest of the grid, still has traction at the end of the race, and has the 2nd place person +12 seconds by mid-race (rhetorical)?

The Best electronics
BigSwole likes this.

"I can't wait till I'm old enough to feel ways about things" (Phillip J. Fry)
castrolr1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #162 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:04 AM
Take the red pill
 
drjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrolr1 View Post
The Best electronics
That's part of it. Ducati and HRC have the best or are making most of the spec hardware and software (Magneti Marelli). The other main thing Honda did from 2018 to 2019 was update their motor. The new motor in the RCV is close to the Ducati, putting down around 300 HP to the wheels. Yamaha are getting their asses handed to them off the corners, top speed and in acceleration. This fact makes Rossi's performance in Qatar and Argentina that much more significant. He was getting blasted on the straights yesterday by Dovi and Miller. .6 from 1st in Qatar, and in the low grip situation in Argentina bagging 2nd. When there is low grip, or kind of slippy conditions regarding wheelspin, Honda seems to have that nailed better than anyone. Yamaha are clearly behind Honda and Ducati in electronics. Marquez ended the race from lap 1 yesterday and was gone by a country mile. COTA will just be a repeat. Just go ahead and give the mafk the trophy. Yamaha need to do something desperately or it's going to be a repeat of 2018. Rossi has a better chassis this year than 2018, and the front end seems like it's where he wants it. He is able to brake late and hard like he wants so they just need to get the electronics working so the bike will hook up better on acceleration. They'll get more drive off the corners and it will make up for the HP deficit they have to Honda and Ducati.
StraightSuccess and emilson like this.

89/115
drjak is offline  
post #163 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:15 AM
wanna B on the Track
 
castrolr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Back to Texas
Posts: 1,023
Send a message via AIM to castrolr1
i'm sure we can look back at our conversation about which company spends the most on their programs.. seems Yami was a few spots down

"I can't wait till I'm old enough to feel ways about things" (Phillip J. Fry)
castrolr1 is offline  
 
post #164 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:58 AM
The Poe Poe!
 
BigSwole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 619
After yesterday's ride by the old man, I'm convinced that if you put him back on the honda the MM has, with time to get used to it, I bet he could win on the regular at 40!!

I really don't think there's that much difference in MM and VR in terms of skill set, even the 15 +/- year difference in age.


BTW, Where's Mysteryman and the other VR hater this year???? Come on guys!!! Come talk some more smack about the old man and how "washed up" he is!!!

Job, Age, and Injuries forced track days to be a thing of the past
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 FJR 1300
2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S Silver/Black, PDK (600 WHP)
2016 RAM 4x4 MegaCab Laramie Sport in Silver
2006 Ram 4x4 (1053 WHP) [email protected] MPH at 7100 lbs. (Sold)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My vids

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BigSwole is offline  
post #165 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:46 PM
wanna B on the Track
 
castrolr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Back to Texas
Posts: 1,023
Send a message via AIM to castrolr1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwole View Post
After yesterday's ride by the old man, I'm convinced that if you put him back on the honda the MM has, with time to get used to it, I bet he could win on the regular at 40!!

I really don't think there's that much difference in MM and VR in terms of skill set, even the 15 +/- year difference in age.


BTW, Where's Mysteryman and the other VR hater this year???? Come on guys!!! Come talk some more smack about the old man and how "washed up" he is!!!
speaking of feisty old men !!!
BigSwole likes this.

"I can't wait till I'm old enough to feel ways about things" (Phillip J. Fry)
castrolr1 is offline  
post #166 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:08 PM
The Poe Poe!
 
BigSwole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrolr1 View Post
speaking of feisty old men !!!
lol Yup! That's me brother!!
castrolr1 likes this.

Job, Age, and Injuries forced track days to be a thing of the past
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 FJR 1300
2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S Silver/Black, PDK (600 WHP)
2016 RAM 4x4 MegaCab Laramie Sport in Silver
2006 Ram 4x4 (1053 WHP) [email protected] MPH at 7100 lbs. (Sold)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My vids

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BigSwole is offline  
post #167 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:08 AM
wanna B on the Track
 
castrolr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Back to Texas
Posts: 1,023
Send a message via AIM to castrolr1
https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/91...edible-problem

Will they listen to MV#25???

"I can't wait till I'm old enough to feel ways about things" (Phillip J. Fry)
castrolr1 is offline  
post #168 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:17 AM
I miss my R1
 
iamzombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 2,888
Why listen to MV#25? He already said the bike was fixed back before the season started (just like last year).


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
iamzombie is offline  
post #169 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:20 AM
Take the red pill
 
drjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrolr1 View Post
I don't get this. He's fast in practice but then the race he is slow. He's been whining and throwing his toys out of the crib for well over a year. He had one of the best crew chiefs in the paddock in Ramon Forcada, but couldn't stand him and had him thrown out of his garage. He changed his number, said he's a new guy, same results. Now it's some new strange problem. It's obvious that Yamaha quit spending money on development for several years but they've flipped up their MotoGP team every which way possible. European testing team, new head of development, let Maverick pick his new crew chief, everything. They are still behind in cornerexit, acceleration, and top speed, but they've made rear tire wear improvements. They even brought in a new laptop jockey, who previously turned their WSBK program around with electronic development. They are putting in the effort now, but need some more lead time.

Meanwhile, #46, continually tells Yamaha what is wrong with the bike. When they listen to him and his development queues, the bike starts improving as does his results. Both Qatar and Argentina, he was over-riding the bike to achieve the results he did.

So one rider is the man in practice, the other is the man in the race. Maverick is always pointing the finger at the bike, the tires, his crew chief, etc, when his results don't come. I don't get it.
castrolr1 likes this.

89/115
drjak is offline  
post #170 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:47 AM
Moderatorasfcvk
 
KMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Huntsvegas
Posts: 45,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post
Maverick is always pointing the finger at the bike, the tires, his crew chief, etc, when his results don't come. I don't get it.

...it's as if Jorge never left! Wait.... he hasn't blamed the helmet, but other than that.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37
Frank and I are Bag of Dicks twins!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KMac is offline  
post #171 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:29 AM
wanna B on the Track
 
castrolr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Back to Texas
Posts: 1,023
Send a message via AIM to castrolr1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
...it's as if Jorge never left! Wait.... he hasn't blamed the helmet, but other than that.......




Speaking of JLO... He believes he is so fast on a Honda that he tried to win a race in Pit Limiter mode

"I can't wait till I'm old enough to feel ways about things" (Phillip J. Fry)

Last edited by castrolr1; 04-03-2019 at 05:06 AM.
castrolr1 is offline  
post #172 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:44 PM
I miss my R1
 
iamzombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post
He changed his number, said he's a new guy, same results.

...

Meanwhile, #46, continually tells Yamaha what is wrong with the bike. When they listen to him and his development queues, the bike starts improving as does his results. Both Qatar and Argentina, he was over-riding the bike to achieve the results he did.
I will say Maverick has changed in a lot of ways that used to make him a lot alike JLo, in that I expected him to lose his sh&t when Franky M crashed him out Sunday, he took it like a proper racer, even went to check that Morbidelli was okay and said it was a racing incident in the interviews following the race.

As for VR46, I didn't think he was over-riding the bike in Argentina, he looked composed and controlled to me. A lot of that may be due to his experience and skill, but in interviews he said he felt good on the bike and that it was setup well, so I will disagree on that point...

Everything else, spot on.
StraightSuccess likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
iamzombie is offline  
post #173 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Take the red pill
 
drjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzombie View Post
I will say Maverick has changed in a lot of ways that used to make him a lot alike JLo, in that I expected him to lose his sh&t when Franky M crashed him out Sunday, he took it like a proper racer, even went to check that Morbidelli was okay and said it was a racing incident in the interviews following the race.

As for VR46, I didn't think he was over-riding the bike in Argentina, he looked composed and controlled to me. A lot of that may be due to his experience and skill, but in interviews he said he felt good on the bike and that it was setup well, so I will disagree on that point...

Everything else, spot on.
To me....

He was pushing the front end over the limit (braking) to keep Dovi behind him.
He nabbed second via a block pass and then forced Dovi out wide. So he was over riding the bike into the corners to pull it all off. He needs some acceleration, especially on corner exit, and down the straights.

89/115
drjak is offline  
post #174 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:29 AM
I eat my R1
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: illinois
Posts: 157
40 is not old, it's young.
tory ii is offline  
post #175 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:39 AM
Just Me.
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Where God Put Me!
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrolr1 View Post
The Best electronics
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post
That's part of it. Ducati and HRC have the best or are making most of the spec hardware and software (Magneti Marelli). The other main thing Honda did from 2018 to 2019 was update their motor. The new motor in the RCV is close to the Ducati, putting down around 300 HP to the wheels. Yamaha are getting their asses handed to them off the corners, top speed and in acceleration. This fact makes Rossi's performance in Qatar and Argentina that much more significant. He was getting blasted on the straights yesterday by Dovi and Miller. .6 from 1st in Qatar, and in the low grip situation in Argentina bagging 2nd. When there is low grip, or kind of slippy conditions regarding wheelspin, Honda seems to have that nailed better than anyone. Yamaha are clearly behind Honda and Ducati in electronics. Marquez ended the race from lap 1 yesterday and was gone by a country mile. COTA will just be a repeat. Just go ahead and give the mafk the trophy. Yamaha need to do something desperately or it's going to be a repeat of 2018. Rossi has a better chassis this year than 2018, and the front end seems like it's where he wants it. He is able to brake late and hard like he wants so they just need to get the electronics working so the bike will hook up better on acceleration. They'll get more drive off the corners and it will make up for the HP deficit they have to Honda and Ducati.
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrolr1 View Post
i'm sure we can look back at our conversation about which company spends the most on their programs.. seems Yami was a few spots down
My understanding is that both the Honda and Ducati are using the Dorna Magneti Marelli (DMM) electronics, so why does the Honda has such a advantage over the Ducati. I did read in this old article about Honda listening to DMM recommendations. I guess the changes are that significant, and maybe Ducati hasn;t fully mastered the software yet.

Granted, MM is still one of the most talented riders in the sport - can't take that away from the guy.

"They say your word is everything, everything in whose eyes, guys confuse lies with the truth, the truth of true lies..."

- BAR
StraightSuccess is offline  
post #176 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:49 AM
The Poe Poe!
 
BigSwole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory ii View Post
40 is not old, it's young.
For what?

In Moto GP or road race bikes, it's certainly not "young".

For something like Motocross / Supercross, it's ancient.


IMO, it's not even the age part but the simple number of years in the sport. With his win / championship record and number of years in the sport, it's the willingness to take chances and the drive to actually push. He's made enough money and got plenty of wins / records to be in history of the sport for ever.

I personally think he still just enjoys it and also probably knows MM will break many of his record, so being known for staying in the sport past 40 might earn him that title for ever. Like Chad Reed in SX (until recent injury a couple weeks ago), He wants to set the record for the highest number of starts, years, podiums, etc. or whatever.

Job, Age, and Injuries forced track days to be a thing of the past
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 FJR 1300
2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S Silver/Black, PDK (600 WHP)
2016 RAM 4x4 MegaCab Laramie Sport in Silver
2006 Ram 4x4 (1053 WHP) [email protected] MPH at 7100 lbs. (Sold)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My vids

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BigSwole is offline  
post #177 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:21 AM
Take the red pill
 
drjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightSuccess View Post
My understanding is that both the Honda and Ducati are using the Dorna Magneti Marelli (DMM) electronics, so why does the Honda has such a advantage over the Ducati. I did read in this old article about Honda listening to DMM recommendations. I guess the changes are that significant, and maybe Ducati hasn;t fully mastered the software yet.

Granted, MM is still one of the most talented riders in the sport - can't take that away from the guy.
Ducati has been using the Magneti software/hardware combination longer than anyone. Honda is the better bike right now because they have a new powerful motor for 2019. But in reality the Ducati and Honda are really close overall. One has certain points where they have a slight advantage over the other.

It's too early in the season to see the advantages and disadvantages exploited. We'll know after about 3 of the European rounds how the bikes truly stack up. Qatar, Argentina, and Austin, or totally different tracks than the bulk of the season's tracks. For Austin, just give Marquez the trophy already. It'll be all about the race for 2nd and 3rd. I am wondering if this is the year Austin gets torrential downpours over the race weekend. They have been so lucky so far as Texas gets heavy showers in April and it's never hit during the MotoGP race there. And when I say rain, it can flood, the rain comes down so hard.

89/115
drjak is offline  
post #178 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 10,682
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post
Ducati has been using the Magneti software/hardware combination longer than anyone. Honda is the better bike right now because they have a new powerful motor for 2019. But in reality the Ducati and Honda are really close overall. One has certain points where they have a slight advantage over the other.

It's too early in the season to see the advantages and disadvantages exploited. We'll know after about 3 of the European rounds how the bikes truly stack up. Qatar, Argentina, and Austin, or totally different tracks than the bulk of the season's tracks. For Austin, just give Marquez the trophy already. It'll be all about the race for 2nd and 3rd. I am wondering if this is the year Austin gets torrential downpours over the race weekend. They have been so lucky so far as Texas gets heavy showers in April and it's never hit during the MotoGP race there. And when I say rain, it can flood, the rain comes down so hard.
Forecast states strong thunderstorms possible on the 14th.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DarkHorse is offline  
post #179 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:36 AM
wanna B on the Track
 
castrolr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Back to Texas
Posts: 1,023
Send a message via AIM to castrolr1
It has been raining constantly in texas this year... I foresee rain that weekend, but probably not all weekend

"I can't wait till I'm old enough to feel ways about things" (Phillip J. Fry)
castrolr1 is offline  
post #180 of 208 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Take the red pill
 
drjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Forecast states strong thunderstorms possible on the 14th.
I've lived North of there my whole life except for one year. In Tx, our Springs are notorious for rain, wind, hail, and possible tornadoes. It can be bad too, bad enough to shut down an entire day of practice or the race itself. In recent years the rain has been bad enough that I've had to install a complete pvc system under the ground at my property. French drains, plugged into pvc, run out to the curb/alley just to disperse the water that hits the roof of my house. I've gone to Austin every year since the first year (probably not going this year, maybe go on race day only so I don't have to get a hotel) and I've brought a rain parka every year because I know how bad it can get. So far Dorna has been extremely lucky. As technical as the track is, the potential for rain carnage is very high. If you remember, the track itself is f'd. Riders were complaining 2 years ago about damage to the surface all over the track. That complaining got real loud last year with the riders stating if COTA didn't resurface or do something, then they thought they shouldn't ride there at all. The track surface wasn't built correctly. The product they used to keep the track from sinking, wasn't the correct product iirc. I haven't read of the track doing anything, not resurfacing or anything so it'll be fun to watch the rider interviews after day one of FP1/FP2. First started hearing about this in 2017.

https://www.cycleworld.com/pavement-problem-cota

89/115
drjak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome