Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums (https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/457-new-member-introductions/)
-   -   03 R1 Starting Issue? (https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/457-new-member-introductions/629927-03-r1-starting-issue.html)

lukchitown 05-17-2019 06:32 PM

03 R1 Starting Issue?

Hey all my brothers 2003 R1 is not starting. It cranks but doesn't start ran Diags and d20 is the side stand when i try to toggle the kick stand but wont flip on or off. when i try d21 the neutral light that works. Help

Aikuken 05-18-2019 02:15 AM

Could be your multi function relay, or your ignitions contacts being corroded (both can give a false code 20)

Diag check 09 to see if you're getting voltage to your ecu. If it's 0, your bike will crank forever but there'll be no spark or fuel, so it won't start.

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

lukchitown 05-18-2019 07:05 AM

Ok so in the Diags 9 it reads 12.9 volts i printed out the wiring sch. and traced all the wires and every wire seems to have power or ground. so i am leaning to the ecu but here is the crazy thing. the bike cranks and no spark so in the diags 20 its for the side stand when i flip the kick stand it will not go off or on in diags 21 i switch the gears and the neutral l light goes on and off so that works. I traced the wires for the kickstand all the way up to the relay box and everything is there i even crack open the relay box and checked all the diodes and all the power is going to the right places. this is super crazy.

Aikuken 05-18-2019 07:10 AM

I think your ecu is fine. This is a common problem (false error 20).. Next thing to check is your multifuntion relay (by replacing it). Third thing is to open up the bottom of your ignition, and clean the contacts in there (you'll need a small hack saw to cut in slots in the bolt heads so you can use a screwdriver to turn them).

Also give a little history on how the issue started. Might help diagnosis.

ChR1z 05-18-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aikuken (Post 8775573)
I think your ecu is fine. This is a common problem (false error 20).. Next thing to check is your multifuntion relay (by replacing it). Third thing is to open up the bottom of your ignition, and clean the contacts in there (you'll need a small hack saw to cut in slots in the bolt heads so you can use a screwdriver to turn them).

Also give a little history on how the issue started. Might help diagnosis.

You mean ignition switch I assume?

Aikuken 05-18-2019 08:50 PM

Not the switch. I mean gbe ignition where you put your key in

ChR1z 05-19-2019 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aikuken (Post 8775635)
Not the switch. I mean gbe ignition where you put your key in

Correct - To me (And most I think) Kill Switch = Red switch
Ignition Switch = Key Switch / Main Switch