Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
slowest rider ..rides in front
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay we discuss this before .. but as my move to California draws closer I am contemplating whether I should trade my R1 for a Duc ..

I'm thinking .. how important is HP .. do I really need all that power .. in CA it seems speeding will be a definate NO! NO!:no ... bike thefts in CA are pretty high .. I would definately not park my bike out at night in public ..

I don't know what I'll do w/ out all that power but I'm thinking I will be better off w/ out it ... I guess I'll go for the Duc and if I'm not happy w/ it I can always come back for a new R1 ...

anyone besides me think the Suzuki RGV Gamma looks sweet ... I saw somewhere they made a kit for the GSX-R 1000 .. I'm looking into this .. if there is such a quality thing then I may be buying a Gixxer and converting the body work to look like the RGV Gamma

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Allthough HP is a plus on the R1... I bought the R1 mostly for its look. I love the look of it!
Having HP when you want it is always nice.

The Duc is probably more attractive to thieves... as it's more expensive.
The Duc's are famous for needing a lot of service...

The Gixxer is very nice.. but I don't like it as much as the R1..

I'd buy the '02 R1 and .. lower the HP to umh. Half.. and run with that if you don't really need the HP..
hehe

You can also learn not to speed.. :cool:

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
The Ducati will require more $$$$$$$$$$$ for service look at about 750.00 for the first service at 6000 miles and it gets worse from there. The Ducati is to uncomfortable for the street IMHO. I have owned one and will never own one for the street again,just my 0.02:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
thats what i almost did ! was looking at the ducati ...a lot , almost put the deposit down on a brand new 998 . damn they look sweeeet. i did all kinds of research on that bike . let me tell you that bike needs a lot of maintainence to keep it running , it also has electrical and mechanical known problems( the 996) .it sounds fantastic running , insurance was actually cheaper than a new r1 , what really changed my mind was the dealer let me demo ride the bike , about 1/2 a mile............sorry i didnt like it at all . try a test ride....it aint smooth ,but it might be a great track machine.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
A Ducati is the ultimate track bike and that is the only reason I will ever own another one is for track use only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts