Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 R1 with an Ivan's jet kit and full akropovic exhaust system. With k & n air filter..

I went on a 200 mile ride. The bike ran beautifully.. Went to get it out to ride to work the following day. It was running like it was not firing on all 4 cylinders.. I have had the issue before.. Wait a day and it would run fine after that for another 6 months or longer. Very random. Now it won't run worth a dang now.

I have purchased a used set of coils off ebay because a mechanic said it sounded like I was having issues in that area.. Didn't fix my issues. Tested the coils with a HF multimeter and they were testing out at 2.6 and 2.7 which is above the 1.86-2.53 ohms. I grabbed a Fluke tester from a buddy of mine and it was 2.5 ohms on both coils. I purchased another multimeter. So with my Craftsman multimeter the coils tested out at 2.3 and 2.4. Seller swears the coils are good.

My only issue is that when the bike is cold after a day. It purrs like a kitten until it warms up. Then it just starts putting after that. I took temps with my new multimeter. All tubes were 280-300 except the #4 cylinder which was 120-130 degrees.

I have disconnected the gas line going to the carbs and keyed on the bike to test the fuel pump and it is pumping out very well.

I'm still leaning towards the bad coils since it runs great when cold..

Any other ideas?

·
That Beast Yami
200 Posts
my 05 had that issue for a little while. turns out one of my coils was slightly out and going in and out constantly.

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,142 Posts
The 98-01 fires two plugs off one coil. If you're having problems with just one plug not firing, it can't be the coil. It has to be a plug lead or the plug. Unscrew the lead from the boot and trim a little bit off the end of the lead. Will probably fix you up.

Mark
99 R1

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same issue but my bike is making a knock sound. The valves are too spec and when I first tested the compression 1,2and 3 we're all between 200 psi and 213 .. number 4 tested at 175 ... I cracked the cam bolts loose and then snugged them and tested again..and all 4 were between 200 and 213.. I torqued the bolts on cam back to spec.. then tested again and all 4 had good compression.. I thought my problem was solved. Put bike together and still knocked. Please help me.

Ps no valves seemed to be bent..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts