Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm wheelie nuts
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not the only one here with an 02 on order so I had a question for all of you guys/gals waiting in the wings. Do you think the fuel injection will be as flawless as the carbs? I'm worried it might have some hiccups, stumbles, etc..... I know it's too late to worry now becasue my cash is already gone but I was just sitting here having some worries. Any input on this?

P.J.

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
From what I hear, Yamaha has a pretty good design for their fuel injection. It makes sense because the R1 is known for having superior carburation and they would want to ruin that reputation with bad fuel injection.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Yamaha has always been good with R & D but as for myself I never buy a first year bike but that is just cause I am weird I guess:D

·
one liter asphalt eater
111 Posts
INJECTION

As per some previous posts, I am completely confident with the ability that Yamaha engineers have proven time and time again. The fuel injection system has been proven on the track with minimal problems. Its not like this bike is the first one Yamaha has ever manufactured with FI. The bike will be the best its ever been.

·
1,894 Posts
I was not saying it was gonna suck I just said I do not buy first year bikes

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
I don't think Yamaha will release a bike with flaw'ish fuel injection. That would KILL Yamaha. The bike will prolly be superior and have INSANE speed. The fuel injection gives SO MUCH better throttle response during the whole register.

We'll know more when the first samples arrives to the customers.

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
I like buying the first year of a bike. Its fun and I have confidence in Yamaha. Funny though every year I look at Aprilia and think, "I'll wait another year". I really like them but they are too new to this market.

People talk about how reliable and polished Honda products are. I've had that kind of history with Yamaha. Some people also wonder why its taken so long for the R1 to get fuel injection. Perhaps its because Yamaha has taken their time perfecting it. That's what I like to think. I'd hate doing R&D for a company that releases products too early.

The fuel delivery is the big question for me with the 2002. I've ridden Suzukis and Triumphs which both have crappy fuel injection. Its either on or its off. Honda and Ducati have decent engineering with their fuel injection. I'm excited to see what Yamaha has done to take advantage of fuel injection and to solve the inherent problems with it as well.

From everything that I've read about the new bike, it will not be faster than the Gixxer1000 but it will be a better bike overall. If I wanted the fastest bike, I'd buy a ZX-12 or a Hayabusa. I like the total package.

Is anybody wondering if the new forward facing airbox is leaving the door open for aftermarket ram air?

·
1,894 Posts
OK I am not trying to start an arguement. I agree with what SmokeEater is saying,I have always rode Yamaha from my Moto-X years till now. Yamaha is very precise on their R & D, I just can't bring myself to get a first year bike so no offens intended and in reality I do wish I could get a 2002 but it is not in the budget at this time:(

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
I agree with you. I found a 2001 Mille R for $12,000. I really love those bikes. I probaby should buy it, but I won't because I'm nervous about reliability and parts.

·
one liter asphalt eater
111 Posts
NO OFFENSE TAKEN

Everyone here realizes that each opinion is everybodys to have....like a fingerprint. If anyone here thinks that they are right and somebody else is wrong, that too is fine. Freedom of speech and freedom of information act etc. etc. Anyways, what would the forum be if everyone had the same ideas....bull****! This place kicks ass. Nobody should feel intimidated by other opinions.

Back to the original questio/concern. I have to agree with twisted that I am slighlty concerned as the bike is a new model, but that has passed after reviewing Yamaha's Research and Development portfolio.

Twisted, I know that nobody here took offence to your comments. You are revered to be one that has an incredible amount of knowledge and we all definitely appreciate the number and quality of posts you have on a daily basis. Thanks !

Those are just my thoughts, I could be wrong

·
1,894 Posts
Well thank you sir. There is no intimidation or hard feelings,like you said that is what makes this a great place. Everyone knows something someone else does not,we can all learn from each other and make these fine bikes even better,faster,stronger than they already are. We have the knowledge,we have the technology.

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
The posing factor with a new model is pretty significant though. That's not why I ride but it is fun when the kids come up to you and ask all kinds of questions. Its new. Its cool. Kind of exotic. Why do we all want to try an R7, a Ducati998R, or that new Benelli? Because its different from what we see every day. The new R1 is the closest thing that we mortals can get to riding racing technology. I doubt it, but perhaps there will be problems with it. I can live with that. Fuel injection is a big and tricky step.

I would love an Aprilia Mille R and to tell the truth if Yamaha didn't come out with the '02 R1, I'd probably be buying Italian (again).

By the way, I really like this smile - :boobies

This one with the neuters is kind of creepy - :makeout

·
1,894 Posts
I had a Ducati916 and will never have one for thew street again but for the track oh hell ya

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
Now this is what Yamaha is putting out about its fuel injection on the 2002 model. And it is one of the the things besides the forward facing airbox and weight reduction (among a few others) that Yamaha is really putting out there to the public. I really believe that there will be very few problems with the fuel injection, if any at all.

"All-new, competition-bred suction-piston type fuel injection - the first ever such system used on a production motorcycle - features shorter intake ports and a special vacuum-controlled intake system to ensure optimum low-rpm air volume and thus smoother, stronger, more linear power across the rpm range.
EFI's lightweight Electronic Control Unit (ECU) adjusts injection period and timing via intake air temperature/pressure, atmospheric pressure, coolant temperature, crankshaft position, and rpm and throttle position sensors."
Mikuini fuel injection (40 mm throttle body)

·
I gonna miss it........
262 Posts
I've got one of these coming too. I looked into the fuel injection question. I've talked to some Motorcycle tuners I use race with, and some car guys, and I use to mess with aircraft fuel injection systems. Without getting to technical here it looks like Yamaha has found a simple solution to solving the common fuel injection disadvantages by combining the the low end accleration characteristics of a caburated system with the smooth power output and efficincy of a fuel injection system. Everybody I have talked too that understands it seems to think it is a solid design. But as they say, we shall see.

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
I think you are right, R1pilot. People that have bought them are really confident in them, and you seem to really know quite a bit about the injection system, as it appears many of the 2002 buyers do.
I wanted to see what Yamaha put out about the 2001 model (quoted below), just out of curiousity. This bike has more than lived up to the quality that Yamaha produces. :) I can't wait till everyone gets their 02's to hear what they say! Not too much longer now... :D

"Sucking fresh air through a large-capacity dual-intake airbox, the big bore BDSR 40 mm TPS-equipped carburetors feed a precisely metered explosive mixture via 12 inlet valves for optimal performance at all speeds."
This was also Mikiuni - 40 mm.
2001 carb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts