Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks to AussieR1guy for the sweet deal on the airbox. I started working on the install today :sneaky

Haven't been on the forum much for a while but I've been pretty busy with the bike since I got her last Jan..... most recent mods are below

Along with the airbox I've been working on a bunch of other upgrades as well
Since the airbox is off already I'm doing a throttle slide stop install..... pulling a bunch more uneccessary crap off the bike now that she is a dedicated track bike. Pulled the radiator fan.... the rest of the CA smog crap ( about 3 pounds worth of junk.

I've installed Marchesini's now and upgraded to 320mm Brembo rotors..... to go with the Marzocchi RAC50 superbike forks and radial mount calipers.

Speaking of calipers...... I'm in need of a rear race caliper ( 65mm mounting ) if anyone has one they want to get rid of..... I have a Yoyodyne mounting bracket so the caliper needs to be 65mm mounting ( like Brembo, or Nissin, PVM or a Yoyodyne caliper )

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
very nice, some quality components on it, post up more pics of the Marzocchi RAC50 superbike forks. see you got your Marchesini's from TAW, great service from them, Jolene has helped me several times :bow

·
Registered
721 Posts
BTW, I'm always weighing things and the Brembo rear caliper pictured weighs only 9.26 oz WITH pads! In comparison a TZ125's rear caliper weighs 19.2, over TWICE as much!

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I meant 64mm mounting..... sorry buzzed while typing. The gettp spacers are only there because I was mis shipped the wrong length bolts... correct ones are on the way. Thats a great price for that caliper, especially since it looks new..... but I was hoping for a used one. I can get a brand new Yoyodyne one for around $300 and really it's just going to be there because you have to have one, I'm trying to take the weight off the bike, and I rarely use it anyway except for the occasional wheel spin. The Marchesini's I've gotten have all been good deals on eBay, the parts I got from Heidi at TAW ( although I have gotten wheels from Jolene in the past for my RC51 ) but the parts I just got from TAW were narrow band Brembo rotors.... two sets brand new !! 320mm / 80mm for narrow hub around $450 plus shipping for both sets. I think they were cleaning out some extra bits and pieces. I'll post up some various other photos of the bike shortly... she's in pieces now as you can tell so the photos will be older one's

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Nice bike mate, nice mods too :thumbup

Any chance you could get a shot of the airbox entry under the yokes? Just so I can see how well it clears the yokes you have. Many thanks in advance if you can.

Good work :)

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The main snorkle stops just in front of the top of the radiator.... the additional snorkle I have was made for the stock triple clamps. The Andreani triple clamps I have now for the Marzocchi forks is nearly 20mm taller for the lower clamp so the snorkle extension that would normally go to the front of the fairing won't work.... I'll have to get something else made if I want to run a full ram air set up.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
The main snorkle stops just in front of the top of the radiator.... the additional snorkle I have was made for the stock triple clamps. The Andreani triple clamps I have now for the Marzocchi forks is nearly 20mm taller for the lower clamp so the snorkle extension that would normally go to the front of the fairing won't work.... I'll have to get something else made if I want to run a full ram air set up.
That's why I was asking. I know of quite a few guys on here with aftermarket triples that now have the same problem with the snorkel portion not clearing. Just wondering if that box cleared it.

Thanks for the reply :thumbup

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so I found a couple other shots of the bike when I first got it ( only add on at that point had been the Akra system ) The next couple shots are of the forks before they went on the bike for every to see. The shot with the red forks is my old RC51 and the forks were a set of left over TenKate Honda forks I picked up from a buddy at Marzocchi..... I like the all black better

Full list of mods so far
- Full Akrapovic race system w / Arata Titanium hanger and ti bolts
- PCIII - custom map to come after airbox and such
- Graves AIS block off plugs
- All CA smog stuff removed
- Marzocchi RAC50 superbike forks
- Andreani Triple clamps with clip on's ( Graves extra long bars )
- Ohlins rear shock
- Marchesini 10 spoke aluminum front rim / 5 spoke cast Mag rear rim
- 520 conversion 1 down up front and a variety for the back for different conditions
- CRG Supersport cluth lever assembly
- Brembo 19x18 Master with Galfer lines and 04 R1 radial mount calipers
- Brembo rotors from a Ducati 748 ( soon to be converted to narrow band race rotors when I get the proper wheel )
- misc Titanium / Aluminum fastners
- Yoyodyne rear caliper hanger ( working on getting a caliper )
- Race bodywork soon to come, most likely going with stuff from OPP racing ( anyone used there stuff ??? ) or Sebimoto
- Yoyodyne radiator ( next season )

Attachments

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Marcaztis..... here's some photos for you...... it looks like, if I just added an extension of about 30mm the snorkle would work ( at least as far as clearing the lower tree ) however I don't know yet how that would affect the fit in the front fairing. Certainly an amount would need to be cut off the front side but I don't yet have the new bodywork yet to try and fit things up. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Marcaztis..... here's some photos for you...... it looks like, if I just added an extension of about 30mm the snorkle would work ( at least as far as clearing the lower tree ) however I don't know yet how that would affect the fit in the front fairing. Certainly an amount would need to be cut off the front side but I don't yet have the new bodywork yet to try and fit things up. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Cool man, all looks very interesting. Thanks for the photos. :)

Hopefully you'll keep posting how that comes along if you do try that route. Any idea what make that airbox/snorkel combo is?

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked it up from a guy on the forum here, he's in Australia ( AussieR1guy ) don't know him, and he said he wasn't sure who made the box. It's not a brand I've ever seen and if it's a home built reverse engineered one, it's a pretty decent piece. I picked it up for cheap enough that if all it does is drop the weight ( it's about 1000 grams lighter than the stock set up ) I'll be happy but if I get a slight performance increase all the better !! Since it's just a track bike I was more worried about losing a bunch of weight off of the bike and getting it to handle and stop well...... got that part covered I think ;-)

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
I picked it up from a guy on the forum here, he's in Australia ( AussieR1guy ) don't know him, and he said he wasn't sure who made the box. It's not a brand I've ever seen and if it's a home built reverse engineered one, it's a pretty decent piece. I picked it up for cheap enough that if all it does is drop the weight ( it's about 1000 grams lighter than the stock set up ) I'll be happy but if I get a slight performance increase all the better !! Since it's just a track bike I was more worried about losing a bunch of weight off of the bike and getting it to handle and stop well...... got that part covered I think ;-)
Cool, it certainly does look like a nice piece of kit :boobies

·
Fear Nothing, Risk Everything
5,767 Posts
wow:rock
love the front-end set up:rock

·
getting away with it since 84!
1,187 Posts
how do you like the Marzocchi forks in comparison to say ohlins? or just a set of re worked stockers? i am in the process of taking my 02, which happens to be exactly the same as yours, off the road and have changed my focus from all out horsepower to lighter weight and better handling i already have an ohlins rear and i am currently playing with some adjustments in regards to geometry, i think 5mm height increase in the rear will do, also in regards to bodywork i just picked up a nice set of armour bodys body work from a forum member and its good stuff if your still on the fence about what to get just my .02

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how do you like the Marzocchi forks in comparison to say ohlins? or just a set of re worked stockers? i am in the process of taking my 02, which happens to be exactly the same as yours, off the road and have changed my focus from all out horsepower to lighter weight and better handling i already have an ohlins rear and i am currently playing with some adjustments in regards to geometry, i think 5mm height increase in the rear will do, also in regards to bodywork i just picked up a nice set of armour bodys body work from a forum member and its good stuff if your still on the fence about what to get just my .02
I've ridden the Ohlins forks a couple times and I don't think they were set up ideally for me so that's a bit tough to say. I can say I spent less for the Marzocchi's including the triple clamps and clip on's than I would have spent for just a pair of Ohlins legs..... and then the Ohlins have a bolt on bracket for the radial mount calipers and the Marzocchi forks you can order either way ( newer Ohlins may be radial mount direct I don't know... or maybe it's just the superbike forks )
I've ridden stock forks with a few different cartridges ( Traxxion dynamics, Race Tech revalve and Ohlins superbike internals ) and all of those rode great if you take the time to set them up right. The thing I like about the Marzocchi forks is that the stanction tubes are 50mm !! compared to stock 43mm and the don't weigh any more than the stock front end. But I'll tell you what..... if you like to late brake you'll love the RAC50's !! and they are all black ( I know color shouldn't matter but they look way better than gold legs imo ) You can also get the Marzocchi forks in a RAC43 version that bolt into your stock triple clamps..... I believe retail on the legs is around $1500 or about $500 less than a set of Ohlins

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.