Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I picked up a salvage rebuild (2002 R1 w/10k, slip on) a few weeks back and am having a good time with it! I'm working on cleaning up the plastics a little bit, getting the maintenance up to date, etc.

Now I took it locally for a dyno run on Saturday and was pretty surprised by the results. 108 HP/66 torque. :scared

The bike runs pretty clean, a little rich towards the upper end but not by much. I'll post a copy of the dyno sheet as soon as I'm home from work.

Now my question - the torque is extremely high from about 3k throughout the rest of the power band (right at 55-65). I'm assuming that I have aftermarket sprockets but have yet to get out and count. Stock gearing for the 02 R1 is 16/43, I believe?

But would different sprockets have an effect on the HP numbers at the dyno? (reading previous posts regarding this say it won't).

I can understand a little low...maybe coming in at 125 or so. But 108HP for an 2002?

That being said, the torque is great. I came from a 2000 piped superhawk and the R1 seems to have equal (if not more!) torque throughout the band. But I purchased a liter I4 for the upper end/HP and twisties bike...not around town, loud and proud.

Any/All input is welcome! Thanks guys, great forum :)

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
Sprockets can change the power reading, but by a very small ammount. In a perfect world they would not make any difference.

If I were you I would check to make sure the EXUP is operating correctly.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
there are 6 million reasons why it is 'low'. do you live on top of mount everest? was it dripping with humidity in the dyno room?...............but seriously given 'normal' parameters, something is wrong with your bike. it could be timing? bad valves, bad compression or any of the rest of the 6 million reasons. not till you start eliminating mechanical reasons will you know for sure.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
agree.. start at easy stuff. new plugs, clean carbs, airbox and filter, check valve clearances, run compression and leakdown test, bad fuel, bad fuel pump, and other 5.9 million things.. i use KISS method.. KEEP It Simple Stupid... its usually easiest stuff.. check those first... then move on. could be bad connector... unplug all connectors, clean them up, lube them with Dieletric grease. put them back together.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
agree.. start at easy stuff. new plugs, clean carbs, airbox and filter, check valve clearances, run compression and leakdown test, bad fuel, bad fuel pump, and other 5.9 million things.. i use KISS method.. KEEP It Simple Stupid... its usually easiest stuff.. check those first... then move on. could be bad connector... unplug all connectors, clean them up, lube them with Dieletric grease. put them back together.
no carbs.... but i know you meant throttle bodies!:thumbup:makeout

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.