Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 R1 and live in Detroit, Mi. The bike is being kept in a unheated garage. The other day i went to start it and it turns over but wouldnt fire up. I then took it to my friends heated garage. After the bike was in the heated garage a couple hours it fired right up. Any suggestions??

·
Super Moderator
11,885 Posts
I have a 2002 R1 and live in Detroit, Mi. The bike is being kept in a unheated garage. The other day i went to start it and it turns over but wouldnt fire up. I then took it to my friends heated garage. After the bike was in the heated garage a couple hours it fired right up. Any suggestions??

Did you put Stabil in the gas before storage? Is your bike on a battery tender?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I decided to ride my bike to work yesterday night and when I left in the morning at 0600 it was 26 degrees (I work from 10pm to 6am). My bike was hating me! Took about twice as long for it to start. It was acting like it had a dead battery.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I also store my R1 in an unheated garage, it seems the colder it is the harder the bike is to start. It always starts just take a little longer when it is colder. You should also take the battery out and put it on a battery tender indoors somewhere, keeps the thing charged and prolongs its life...

·
Cops Lie!
198 Posts
I live in mn and for the last two weeks its been around 2 degrees average, and a week below zero. yesterday i went outside, put my battery that i kept inside all winter in my 02 r1, cranked it over a few times. nothing, gave her a little throttle, cranked a few times over, nothing, third time same thing cranked over and she started right up.
i found that if you pause, then try again it works better. then just consistently cranking over

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.