Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Buys too many toys...
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I did a quick search and didn't find all the answers so I hope someone might help me out. I'm looking to purchase either am '02 or '03 R1, so what exactly are the differences between the 2? Doesn't the '03 have like 5 more bhp or something? Anything in particular to be weary of when I'm looking at an r1? Is one model year better for one reason or another? Thanks to anyone who can answer these for me. :hellobye

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Not true Eyespy!!!
The had different colors available in 03 :finger

·
70,000 miles on 4 R1's 01-04
2,385 Posts
R1Budha said:
Not true Eyespy!!!
The had different colors available in 03 :finger
getting technical with Eyespy, your brave ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
also get hazard lights, rear brake light is brighter.. that pretty much sums it up :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
They are the same so your best bet is to find an 02 with low miles and well kept. You'll probably save $500 to a grand over an 03. I got my '02 with 4k miles. It was immaculate with no scratches or damage whatsoever. It had a carbon fiber high mount (two bros) carbon engine covers, and triple tree cover, mirrored windscreen, flushmount led blinkers and a fender eliminator. It definately looked better than stock, too say the least, and it was basically brand new. Got it for $7k about 4 months ago. I checked blue book and it said something like $8,500 or something, plus it had about $1200 or so in aftermarket stuff.

With the new 04's out, you should have no problem getting a sweet deal on either an 02 or 03.

·
Beeeeeer!
9,542 Posts
None, it's the same bike. Only changes made were cosmetic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Alright-

So what are the stats on the 02/03 R1? Hp, Hp to the rear wheel, torque, 0-60, quarter mile, etc...

Anyone?

·
Buys too many toys...
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot for the help guys. I actually did know about the paint schemes difference. So the '03's have hazard lights and the '02's don't? That seems kinda weird b/c even my old '87 Kawi has hazards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts