Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Super Squidly
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This makes me feel great about having an '03 R1.

According to SR, those of us on the "old" bikes have more hp and ft/lbs than the '04 all the way 'til 8000 rpms. Personally, I almost never go over 8k on the street unless it's a long straight, but hardly ever in the corners. So the racers win and I win.

15 more ft/lb's of torque at 4000k!! :scared Holy Crap!

I guess, according to conventional engine tuning wisdom, I shouldn't be surprised to see a sacrifice in midrange for a gain at the top end, but still, it makes me happy to have my old, crappy, outdated '03.:rock

·
Registered
785 Posts
When an engine is tuned, you trade a lower amount of low rpm power for more high rpm power. This was to be expected. Especially with the extreme bore/stroke ratio of the new engine.

The new Akro Evo system makes major gains in the torque curve and pretty much eleminates any advantage that the old bike might have!

·
Super Squidly
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blockburner1 said:
If that was the case then the 02-03 model should be a quicker bike than the 04. Personally I would have to see that to believe that
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Why would you say that? How long do you think it takes the new R1 to get to 8k rpm? Because once it does, it will murder the old one. So I guess if our rev limiters cut in at 8k, then what you said would make sense. Plus, what do you mean by "quicker?" Quickness, IMO, has a lot to do with chassis dynamics, in which case, the '04 wins again. The dyno numbers don't indicate in any way that the old R1 is a faster or quicker bike, simply that it has significantly more torque up to 8k rpm, which is good for me since that is the range I ride in most frequently.

Low end torque was one of the main reasons I got the R1. It's nice to see that it is still one of the top dogs when it comes to low torque.

·
Super Squidly
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PurpleLion said:
When an engine is tuned, you trade a lower amount of low rpm power for more high rpm power. This was to be expected. Especially with the extreme bore/stroke ratio of the new engine.

The new Akro Evo system makes major gains in the torque curve and pretty much eleminates any advantage that the old bike might have!
Um, :confused: , eh:confused: , seems like I said that in the first post :

Originally posted by me
"I guess, according to conventional engine tuning wisdom, I shouldn't be surprised to see a sacrifice in midrange for a gain at the top end"
As far as the akro argument, I put an akro on my '03 and the low torque went up as well. Besides, you can do almost anything you want with the right amount of tuning. Sportrider and myself were simply comparing stock to stock.

·
The Original Turbo
2,332 Posts
Great post. That is impressive.

The 03's look better to me anyway. I better run out and get a leftover for $8,000. :rock

·
Super Squidly
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Man,
The lowest I've seen an '03 was like 8999, which means that you should be able to get one for 8000 if it's been sitting there long enough. There about 6 at my dealership. I haven't ridden the '04 yet, but from these dyno results and from what the motorags say, the '03 should be the better streetbike, and the '04 the better track bike.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ummm, yeah. If it makes you feel better.

Oh, and if I see one more overlay of these stupid SR dyno runs that were done in different years, I think I'm going to scream.

·
My RR tempts me
654 Posts
This has got to be the hundreth time I posted this. If the rpm limit was the same for both bikes, then yes, the older model may pull a little harder below 8k. But since the new engine revs a certain percent higher, the gearing should be a certain percent lower, giving a certain percentage more pounds of thrust through the back wheel. So if you both punch it in third gear at any arbitrary rate of speed, the new '04 will kill your '03 or at least keep up until a certain speed then absolutely murder you after that. Sorry to burst your torque bubble but keep in mind you still have an awesome bike:p

·
Master Mechanic
871 Posts
22 more rwhp is quite a difference, I'd much rather have that than power below 8k. I don't ride my bike on straights at half throttle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ugh? What about the guy who was test riding and said the 03 doesnt even compare ( it was in an earlier post with a link, I hate looking up old post)

·
The Original Turbo
2,332 Posts
True,

But think about hauling your fat girlfriend around the city. Trust me, that low end power is noticeable. And if a guy on an 04 rides his girl on the back, and the guy on the 03 does the same, I'd be willing to bet that the 03 would get up to speed quicker.

I understand that to most of you bench racers out there, that this doesn't matter. But to the guys that ride in clubs and pick up honeys with their ONE's, then this is valuable info.

I agree with the above post, that the 04 is a better track bike and the 03 will probably be a better streetbike. Even when the Gixxer1K came out, many mags rated the 03 R1 the better street bike because of the low end torque.

And for those of you that think the 03s will get destroyed on a top speed run, I beg to differ. I've done plenty of high speed runs with guys with 20-30 more horsepower and you only get "walked on". Not destroyed. There's a huge difference.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just because the 03 has a bit more low RPM grunt does not make it a better streetbike. All of these bikes easily make more power than you can effectively use on the street. By all accounts, the 04 is more compact, has a more comfortable bar/peg relationship, and handles better, so which one is the better street bike?

·
My RR tempts me
654 Posts
So I take it you didn't get destroyed by those Suzuki 1000's either. At the very least, I would call it a "power walk":yesnod

1 - 20 of 83 Posts