Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 R1 5pw. 2003 Triumph Daytona 955i. 1997 BMWK1200RS.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am having trouble removing the rotor to replace a burnt out stator. I have been able to block off the rotor with a holding tool am using a bolt identical in spec to the rotor removal “tool” available. The rotor will not pull off in spite of huge force placed on the bolt. I am following procedure as in Haynes manual and on YouTube vids. Am I missing something? I am open to any advice and education. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm not an expert experienced mechanic and have not personally had this situation but I have heard of these things getting so hot when they go bad that they can fuse together--may literally need to apply heat to remove and replace both, or again so I've heard. It sucks I know!

·
Registered
2003 R1 5pw. 2003 Triumph Daytona 955i. 1997 BMWK1200RS.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not an expert experienced mechanic and have not personally had this situation but I have heard of these things getting so hot when they go bad that they can fuse together--may literally need to apply heat to remove and replace both, or again so I've heard. It sucks I know!
thanks for your advice Chris,sorry for late reply. I have heard similar nightmare stories.I have tried
local heat without success.
Next step is trying a different rotor removal tool, the new one has a taper or “cone” before the threads.I suspect that the tool I have been using has not turned in far enough to gain “purchase”.
Heres hoping….

1 - 3 of 3 Posts