Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright heres the deal.....I put some money down on an '04 R1 to hold it for when they come in (back order sucks). But now Yamaha isn't approving me for anything near what the bike is going to cost. They do have an '03 R1 sitting on the floor that I know I could afford with what they approved me for...NOW....the questions is....Is the '04 R1 worth struggling to get or should I cut my losses and go for the '03?? I really want the '04 just cause of the whole design aspect but I feel the '03 is just as nice a bike but "outdated." Is there really that much of a difference between the two or is the '03 just as good?

HELP!! I need to decide but don't want to make a mistake and drop TONS of cash down on the '04 if the '03 is affordable. I know most of it is what I really want and personal preferance but is it stupid to struggle financially just to get the one I really want?

· Broke OUTTA Jail
5,792 Posts
There both great bikes....Yamaha....I was also not sure which one to get as I purchased my 03 in December....I decided that the 03 was all that I needed and is an awesome all around bike....plus I only paid $8600 for it brand new plus tax and stuff so that was also my reason for it.....I think that you would be happy with the 03 and the last thing you want to do is put yourself in a tight spot....get the 03 and be happy!!!!!:rock :hellobye

· 06 is my year
1,062 Posts
get the 03' and save the $$$....you will need it for insurance..

The 03' is still a kickass performance/looking bike....Sounds like you are getting the 04' Syndrome from this forum....

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am definately getting the '04 syndrome...But I had it before I started on this site....I put money down on one before I joined here....But you guys aren't helping in the matter!

· R-Neo
661 Posts
theres no question...work overtime and get the 04, performance wise its alot better handling and has more power :2bitchsla no question in my mind...but thats imo :dollar

· Registered
86 Posts
well the main difference that I like the most is the 04 is more comfy on the body! but the 02 has a more comfy in the asssss area known as the seat! as for power the 04 is faster no if's and's or but's about it!! as for looks they both look great with the nod going to the smooth undertail on the 02 but the 04 is close with everything off of it. If money is an issue go with the 03 it is still a great bike I get my 02 out and ride it still untill I sell it.

Get what makes you happy or get what you can afford and still be happy.

· Registered
1,774 Posts
The 04 is just a completely different bike from any previous R1, not because of its superior performance but because of its rideability. It is night and day, compared.
I'd strongly suggest a 04 if you intend to ride in twisties/on track, if not, the 03 will make you happy as well (it will anyway, it is a good bike, the 04 just is much better)

· Super Duper Street Rider!!!
128 Posts
I bought a showroom leftover 03 and I'm loving every minute i'm riding it. I've been riding for 12 years and have owned 6 different sportbikes over the years and I personally think the 02-03 R1's are the best road bikes i've ever owned, and they still look really good. The low end torque is more than enough to satisfy most people. I rode my friend's 04 and it felt like you really have to rev it above 9000 rpm to feel the rush. With an 03, you can still easily keep up with the new bikes and with skill, you can even outrun many lesser skilled riders with 04 bikes. Its no big deal. Unless you're just into the looks of the 04, getting the 03 is not a bad compromise at all. Besides with the money you save, you can get better gear or hook up your 03 with a lot more bling-bling. Don't get yourself stuck in a bad financial situation because you had to have the "latest and the greatest" out there. I guarantee you will not regret getting the 03.

· Registered
1,774 Posts
you can even outrun many lesser skilled riders with 04 bikes
On a straight line maybe (however it doesn't take a lot of skills to just open up) but the 04 suspension is light years away from the 03 and the whole package, despite its higher performance, is much easier to ride. The older R1's are "bitches" to ride fast, many ate dust because that massive torque low down was to much for the rear suspension.
But I agree, it surelly isn't worth getting into financial problems, the 03 is a great bike as well.

· smartass!
632 Posts
i have a hold over 03' also, so far 698 miles on her.

i love this bike and would not trade it for an 04' the way i ride wich is around town little freeway and alot of stunting and playing around, the o3 is a better bike for me.

but to each his own the 04's are nice no doubt but i wouldnt trade straight across let alone 2 pay a 2 grand differance.

· Super Moderator
22,568 Posts
DMC Rangali said:

I feel the '03 is just as nice a bike but "outdated." Is there really that much of a difference between the two or is the '03 just as good?
Let me tell you the '03 is no where near "Outdated". :fact If you
plan to stay on top with the latest and greatest then you will be
selling at least every two years. Yes, Yamaha did do some major
upgrades to the '04 and if you can afford it then go for it, but the
'03 one killer machine. Plus, it has that unique look to it. There
are great deals on left over '03's to be had if you look around.

· Registered
2 Posts
Well I'm new here and i'm gonna get a 2002 R1 soon. It's the same stuff as the '03 anyway. I already spent lots of money on new bikes and decided that I would go for good deals on 2nd hand bikes from now on.
I'm supposed to pick up my R1 next week and it's got only 6000km on it so its like new and I'm only gonna pay like 10k$ for it when a new 04 is like 16k$ (europe).
As for someone saying that low end torque is too much for the suspension, they should try a Ducati or an Aprilia hahaha. Yamaha say they xtended the rev range on the 04 R1 so you know where those extra horses are, certainly not at the low or mid rev-range, I don't think that it's very usefull for everyday use unless you go to a track often. I don't so I know 150hp will be way enough for road use.

I would say take it easy, go for the 03 and you will be an happy man. Then you'll be able to do something enjoyable with the money you saved too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.