Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
arrivederci
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my r1 got dinged by a garbage truck while parked at work and i'm finally getting a check for the damage. it'll be around 2 grand. the damage is mostly cosmetic....assuming i dump all the money in the bike, what should i do??? the bike is mostly stock except sliders, spools, and lowered. any help would be appreciated, esp from some r1 vets.......

THANKS
rock
mn 03 r1

·
Draggin chest hairs since 2008
1,313 Posts
Sell it and put the money towards at least an 04

If your gonna keep it no matter what, do the basics... Integrated tail, flushmount blinkers, pazzo levers, HIDs are cool, a slip on pipe (sato gp pipe or some kind of gp pipe for that matter)

·
Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,078 Posts
un lower it and do track days galore.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
....I'd probably put the money towards fixing it. :dunno

Oh and Jeff's idea is the best so far.

·
arrivederci
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why an 04 up keep in mind i got it last summer for 4 grand

·
The plane will fly! :fact
7,030 Posts
Forget the exhaust, not sure why that is always a first mod.

First - Gear if you don't have everything
Second - Trackdays and Classes
Third - Do the brake lines with SS lines, new fluid and some pads when your's wear out. Then a steering dampner and or lighter wheels.

·
Ride Comfortable and Confident
567 Posts
the reason that it is the first is no one likes the sound of the crapy factory exhaust and it weighs a ton! :2bitchsla

Forget the exhaust, not sure why that is always a first mod.

First - Gear if you don't have everything
Second - Trackdays and Classes
Third - Do the brake lines with SS lines, new fluid and some pads when your's wear out. Then a steering dampner and or lighter wheels.

·
The plane will fly! :fact
7,030 Posts
If you're that worried about sound buy a Harley I hear that's all they specialize in. I like my order because it gives you what is most important followed by what you'll notice the most difference in, although it might actually be better to do brakes before the trackdays now that I rethink that.

·
Premium Member
23,060 Posts
if the guy wants to start doing trackdays, I would say suspension is the first thing over everything else...just getting it setup to your weight makes a big difference

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts

·
Ride Comfortable and Confident
567 Posts
If you're that worried about sound buy a Harley I hear that's all they specialize in. I like my order because it gives you what is most important followed by what you'll notice the most difference in, although it might actually be better to do brakes before the trackdays now that I rethink that.
Well you can be a smartass about it,:2bitchsla but most people especially those that are not track riders disagree with your order. I remember when I first got mine, Shane (SpidermanSS) suggested a few simple mods and one of them was exhaust and pc3, and as a matter of fact I bought my pipe from tobefast.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
keep the $2ooo and keep riding it. it's 5 years old. it doesn't need to be perfect. put the $2ooo into a new bike whenever you decide to upgrade. and by then the damage to your bike won't lower the value enough to make a $2ooo difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.