Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone think of a good reason for the rear wheel bearings to go out at 3000 miles on an 03 R1??? and furthermore, can anyone else think of a reason to have 4 shim disks in the rear between the wheel and the caliper and between the sprocket and the swingarm on the other side? And the seals in the back end going out again 1100 miles later.

I got my R1 back from the shop and there were shims in the back after the bearings had to be replaced. And then I pulled the sprocket and the cush drive had all the clips taken off of it and some of the wedges were shaved down at angles to make them fit. This all came from a 5 star dealership.... it doesn't make sense to me. Please help with the explanations. Thank you.

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
i.d ring the shop and ask them exactly what you asked here! sounds like a clearance problem of some sorts. shimming is not standard practice. has the bike ever been bent at the rear?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been bent in the rear. I bought it used from the dealership where it was sold. It was only 3 months old and the guy that brought it in only had it long enough for his busa to come in. I asked them what part of the story I hadn't been told yet and they got pretty irritated. It is in the shop now and they have it torn apart "investigating" the cause. I just wanted to get info from other people that may have seen it before. this dealership is the only people that have touched the rear so the problems have only originated from them.

·
Feelin' lucky?
323 Posts
That sounds pretty goofy, alright.
I'd be interested in the explaination (if any) that you eventually get.

I understand that a very small amount of play in the LH rear wheel needle bearing/collar is normal, and I wonder if they tried to get rid of this with some kinda' home-brewed concoction.

Either that, or simply botched/didn't understand the job at hand.
Also, there's always the outside chance that this is supposed to be the "Hot Setup". :crash

·
I Love My R1!!!
164 Posts
i'd be wicked pissed and lookin for some butts to kick if i were you!! GOOD LUCK YO!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok... took the dealership a week to come clean....

They put Chrome wheels on it when it was new. Makes it look wicked cool, but I know how some people really don't care about that.

Anyway, come to find out, they didn't have a 2003 rear wheel when they went to change them out and they put a 2001 model chrome wheel on the back of my bike. To make it fit, they had to shim it, and to make the 03 cush drive fit within the clearances, they had to cut the clips off and they had to shave the rubber pieces so that they could get the sprocket in the right place.

They have it in the shop and they are putting a new axle (because it was scored when the bearings went out at 3000 miles), bearings and seals, a cush drive, and replacing the rear wheel with a 2003 model wheel.

What else should they do while I have it in there to make sure it is right.

thank you for all of your help here. I really appreciate it.

·
Feelin' lucky?
323 Posts
So, they tried to Jimmy-rig some wheels off another model, huh?

I'd be asking that they put the wheels back to 100% stock condition, because they've already demonstrated their ability to engineer things on their own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts