Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
My R1 beats me.
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having some (admittedly incredibly minor) starting issues with my 03-R1. When the bike has been sitting for a while it can take as many as 5, 4-5 second bursts on the starter switch for her to fire up and start.

When i turn the key to the on position the computer and dash do it's checks and everything is fine, no codes flashing or anything. I can hear the fuel pump priming and the injectors priming (the whining noises), it just doesn't kick over and start like i imagine that it should.

It doesn't exactly get cold here in Brisbane (Australia), minimum temp is about 0 deg celsius, but its Spring here now with temps up around the mid 20's and down to the low teens, so it doesn't seem to be temperature related.

Don't get me wrong, it's never failed to start, it's just that it seems weird considering that I used to have an 02 R1 (that i managed to kill) that started practically as soon as you hit the switch.

Otherwise the bike runs fine in every dimension..... she's a noisy one too if that makes a difference.

..... is this an issue that anyone else is having or am i just paranoid. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
82 Posts
RE: starting issues

You can run a search on this and find a thread or two indicating it's a fairly common "issue". Unless the bike itself is already warm, mine usually takes 2 or 3 tries to get started, regardless of ambient temperature. And if by "a noisy one" you mean that yours is a "ticker", mine's not. At least not yet (1400 miles so far).

I just wouldn't worry about it at all if I were you. Seems to be fairly normal for the '02-'03 models.

·
9 Finger Bandit
1,092 Posts
Lately Ive been trying different things to cure this problem. I have found that if I turn the bike on, let the fuel pump run its complete cycle, turn the key off then back on again and let the pump run another full cycle, then cut the key off and back on again but then hit the start button after the pump runs for about 2 secs the bike will fire right up. May or may not work for everyone, but its been working for me.:dunno

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
It usually takes me 2 to 3 attempts to get the bike going. I dont know why but it does

·
My R1 beats me.
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nah injection doesn't suck, it blows.... ;)

reminds me of what an old racecar driver (Allan Moffat) once said when taking the weird choice of not using a fuel injected car at a Bathurst race.

"You have all kinds of stupid problems with fuel injection......
but carbies suck going uphill, they suck going downhill, they suck on the straights and levels....."

Magazine Articles reply to his comments was this -
"Basically Moffatt's car just sucked" (no i'm not insinuating that non injection bikes suck.... i've been passed by too many of them to say that!)

I just find it weird that the 02 would kick over right away and the 03 doesn't!

I understand that Yamaha made minor EFI tweaks to the 03 model... this may be one of them... i just wonder what it achieves.

Buster Bennett, will try your method and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts