Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
My R1 is my lady!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my first r1 and was wondering what the best headlights are for it? I was wondering about the kelvin/wattage/shape factor (e.g. 5200K/1000w/H4). This only my second post this forum is the shit. Price?:jump

·
Clearin' leather...
2,085 Posts
I got Phillips Silverstars and love them. Before, I got flashed (brighted) every third or fourth car. Now, it's every car! They're bright as day.

·
Dark Horse
3,075 Posts
Not saying they're the best, but I had PIAA Extreme Whites on my 02 R1 and also use them in my F4i. I got them from tricktape.com for around $30 a set.

·
Clearin' leather...
2,085 Posts
And as far as K/W/H4, your owner's maunual has it in the back & it's on the bulbs themselves. Can't remember offhand what they actually are though...

·
Dark Horse
3,075 Posts
H4 means that it is dual filament (the bulb is used for both low and high beam like the pre-04 R1s). The 04 R1s use single filament H7s. The higher the Kelvin, the whiter the glow of the buld will be. When it's low, the hue of the bulb appears like light amber. When it's high, it appears like a light blue (which, I believe, is actually a very bright white). A white hue is somewhere in the middle of all that. I think you saw 100w, not 1000w which would probably melt your housing. I believe the stock buld is 55-60 watts, but I've used 100 watt bulbs without it melting the housing.

·
My R1 is my lady!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot, you guys have been helpful. I just want to be sure that I don't screw up the wiring or housing, but I want the brightest and the whitest/bluest!

·
The Blue One's are FASTER!!!!
2,467 Posts
Don't buy cheap bulbs and stick to the same wattage as stock.:fact

Take it from me, I went for cheap bulbs the first time and fried the headlight harnest.:mad:

Now I have PIAA Super Plasma GT's, a bluish purple tint to them.

Attachments

·
Taming the power btwn my legs!
611 Posts
I actually ordered PIAA Super Plasma GT-X's yesterday! I'm really looking forward to getting them! $70 shipped. No more cheap blue bulbs for me!

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,086 Posts
NY2NJ said:
Not saying they're the best, but I had PIAA Extreme Whites on my 02 R1 and also use them in my F4i. I got them from tricktape.com for around $30 a set.
Ditto, but I went with the PIAA Super Extreme Whites, I didn't care for the blue tint of most & these are much whiter :yesnod

Attachments

·
Self Appointed
736 Posts
rorlow said:
Ditto, but I went with the PIAA Super Extreme Whites, I didn't care for the blue tint of most & these are much whiter :yesnod
I have the white's too, they are fantastic, I always ride with my brights on also, I get lights flashed once and a while, but I don't care. I would rather have them see me and be pissed, then not see me at all. :fact

·