Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was cruising along going to pick my mom up from work to take her home and boom. All of a sudden my bike turns off showing temp very high and it would not restart while temp light was on. The cluster lights would stay off once it cooled down and i push started it. My hopped on the bike and next thing you know it dies out.

Then i let it stay off for a minute or 2 when i turned it back to on. It had the code 46. So anyways tried disconnecting the battery to reset the code. Checked all the fuses everything was ok. The code would not come off though. Me and my buddies towed the bike to the house and started checking the relays and fusses again. Finally decided to pull the stator apart.

Looks like about 4 of the magnets were completely broken in half and a few of the others were stuck to the round housing the windings sit in.

So this is what im worried about. If i buy a new stator will it come with the magnets? The lil black plastic thing that sits around the magnets? WIll the code reset itself automatically when i try to start the bike again. That worries me most of all because if it wont even turn on how does it do a self check to know the stator was replaced?

·
I hate Iraq
2,488 Posts
You were going to give your mother a ride on your bike? :crash: :chair:

·
I hate Iraq
2,488 Posts
You just posting that up to suggest what could be wrong KMAC? He found the problem, which was on the list. Or about the code resetting?

·
Registered
106 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i was taking moms so she wouldnt have to walk lol. i love my mom.

and so from the picture i dont need the shaft looking part that is solid metal.

and more so worried about whats going to come with the new stator when i buy it that is in the picture and how im going to reset the code to start the bike.

·
I hate Iraq
2,488 Posts
Kevap, I am trying to learn about everything I can just in case my bike breaks down, I don't like taking my bike to the shop. I can do most things (never done a slipper clutch or a strator/rectifier before) So sorry for being nosy. I will crawl back under my rock. :chair:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2009ravenr1 it was probably just the way you wrote the question. I should know i suck at writing and punctuation "sp".

Any more input would be nice. Im wondering if i have to replace the rectifier as well too that would suck.

·
Strait roads suck!
96 Posts
Start with replacing the stator assy. You know it's bad. make sure the rotor assy is not badly damaged. You don't want them to touch.

If you have a charging problem after repairing the stator assy, then look at the rectifier. Unless you can see damage or burned wires to the rectifier

More than likely the loose magnets were causing a short, which caused a voltage drop, which set the code.

To clear the code: After repair is made."Start engine. run at idle". As stated by KMAC's link under "restatement method" If problem is gone, code is gone.

History codes will not set the engine light or show up on the display, unless in Dia mode.

To clear the history code: Get a service manual, and learn to do the hokey pokey with the select, reset buttons in Dia mode. The history codes will clear on there own. after a while.

That's pretty cool giving your mom a ride.:cool:

My mother won't come with in 3 feet of my bike.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea my moms is pretty down i probably freak her out more in my car then on the bike.

Ok R1 who. Do you know if the magnets come with the stator when you buy a new one or with the rotor. all my wires look fine. BUt a couple of magnets broke is what im worried about right now. I figure i may just be able to replace the magnets and it will run from there. Like you said the voltage drop is what causes the code 46 to pop up and the rotor and stator both look to be in really good shape as well as the wires going to the recitfier. there is no burn smell or anything either.

·
Strait roads suck!
96 Posts
The stator is the one with the magnets. I don't know if the rotor has any that will break off. I don't have a lot of hands on experience with newer sport bikes.

Can you post some pictures?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone I need a little help. I had a code 46 on my 06 R1 after it stall. After some research I found the problem was the charging system. I checked the generator and the stator and the rotor were busted. All magnets were shattered. I replaced the regulator/rectifier, rotor and stator all with new parts. I went to start the bike and still doesn't start and I still get code 46. The battery is good so the next thing to do is check for spark. I'm not getting spark so I went ahead and remove ignition coil and check for resistance and its within specs. The only thing I've noticed is the ignition relay clicking which I didn't hear before and if the battery drains it starts buzzing. I know there is several threads on code 46 but it seems I'm the only one with these problems and everything should've been fixed when I replaces the busted generator ( it was nasty) any idea on what else I could check for?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts