Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
_
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still waiting for my bike to come in, should be here in a week or so. in the meantime i want to order some acessories for it. i got the frame sliders from graves already, but i have a few questions about some other stuff. i love those side markers from gregg's, but do you have to cut a hole for them?
i also want the fender eliminator from graves, but wasn't sure if you had to drill or anything into the fender. has anyone installed on of these, and if so any pics? my other option is to trim down the stock fender. i like the way the graves eliminator looks but am a bit sceptical on cutting and drilling into my new bike.
i also got a new helmet and looking for a good jacket, all i need i the bike! any imput on these questions would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
04ROne, I am in a similar boat as you (still waiting for the '04, but wanting to get some stuff in the meantime). I read on here elsewhere that the Graves Fender Eliminator is pretty easy to install (no cutting, a few bolts, etc...) but I also would like to see some pics (before/after) of the process if anyone has some. I wonder how hard it is to hook-up the new turn signals that come with the Fender Eliminator. I also thought about trimming the stock fender, but don't think I want to do that. One problem I see with the new fender eliminator kit, though, is that there won't be a light to illuminate the license plate. Just hope the cops don't have a problem with that...

·
No Brakes!
69 Posts
I put the Gregg's flushmounts on my 03...no hole needed for that...I spect that the 04 is the same...they are made to simply fit into the holes and a small allen holds them in place...plus the wiring...they are the best of the flushmounts i've seen...enjoy your 04...Mine came in today!

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
I got mine 2 weeks ago and other than frame/swingarm sliders and some tankbags, I haven't been able to get any other accessories...... This sux!:butt

·
_
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
_
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
_
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Look out for what truck????
258 Posts
Rooster62181 said:
I know about the Graves Frame Sliders, what about the SWINGARM Sliders?
If I were you I'd forgo the swingarm sliders and stick to buttons. I've seen both R6's and R1's break the bolt off in the swingarm with those big ass sliders in a wreck. They tend to grab because of the increased surface area and the fact that Yamaha decided to use those tiny ass bolt holes doesn't help. With the buttons, you still protect the swingarm and I've never seen them break the bolt off.

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
I ran into the problem of the standard Yamaha sized 6mm swingarm buttons don't fit. The bolt is too long. Just so happens the swingarm sliders I had stashed away fit perfectly, so I put the buttons back on my '02 and the sliders on the '04.

·
We All Crave More POWER
321 Posts
SingaporeScott said:
04ROne, I am in a similar boat as you (still waiting for the '04, but wanting to get some stuff in the meantime). I read on here elsewhere that the Graves Fender Eliminator is pretty easy to install (no cutting, a few bolts, etc...) but I also would like to see some pics (before/after) of the process if anyone has some. I wonder how hard it is to hook-up the new turn signals that come with the Fender Eliminator. I also thought about trimming the stock fender, but don't think I want to do that. One problem I see with the new fender eliminator kit, though, is that there won't be a light to illuminate the license plate. Just hope the cops don't have a problem with that...
to answer your question regarding the eliminator kit, it is very easy to install. You need to use the "H" bracket off the original fender, bolts and turn signals. The signals mount through an egg-like opening that is identical to the stock fender so remember how you took the lights off when removing from the stock one. Basically it's an oval rubber groment that you force through an oval hole that is supported by an oval ring. You do, however, have to pull the excess wiring from the signals through to the trunk for storage and zip tie out of the way. Nice clean appearance and fit. As far as the plate light goes, at night the led's from the tail light are enough to light it up because the Graves Fender Eliminator Kit angles the plate at dang near a 45 degree angle and reflects the light emitted from the tail. Hope this helps. I am too lazy to go and take pics, but maybe later.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks, Bigg-e. That helped me a lot. I actually didn't realize that you used the stock signals with the Graves kit -- I thought that the Graves kit came with new signals. I assume you do not have to cut the signals off the stock fender -- they just pull-off, do they? Maybe -- if you get around to -- you could take a few photos for me. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
when installing the graves fender eliminator does the stock liscense plate light unplug? does this create any other problems?

·
Camshaft
283 Posts
You can just unplug the stock licence plate light and leave it alone. No harm will come of it. However, I'm putting a libertek licence plate led on the undertail. Drilled hole about 2 inches behind wire hole in undertail. Libertek licence plate light is very small and bright. Good to have for those officers. Cheers...:thumbup

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yep you can just unplug the rear light. I did that on my R6. The whole rear fender justs unbolts then you disconnect the wires and it come right off. I just made my own fender eliminator kit which cost me like $2 at Home Depot and then bent my license plate up a little so my tail light would light it up at night time. Never have been harrased my the police. I will be doing the same for the 04 R1, except this will be harder because of the undertail exhaust. But should still only cost a couple of dollars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts