Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Jacksonville Jaguars Baby!!
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone noticed that the clutch appears to stick for a second when you pull it in? It's most noticeable when the bike is still cold, but it just appears to hang for a half second or so.... anyone else notice or is it just my bike?

·
"Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,197 Posts
nsxer said:
has anyone noticed that the clutch appears to stick for a second when you pull it in? It's most noticeable when the bike is still cold, but it just appears to hang for a half second or so.... anyone else notice or is it just my bike?
Mine works flawless!

·
Registered
186 Posts
no problem on mine either, that is in the 23 mils i have put on her. :)

I actually hate the clutch lever, I am coming from a Y2k R1 with a 2 finger cluth lever, going to find one ASAP for the '04.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine started after the first 200 miles. When its cold outside, it gets pretty bad. It takes 2-3 sec. before the clutch disengages. Problem comes and goes even after the engine-block is warmup (after few hrs of riding).
I took the bike in and my dealer could not find anything wrong w/ clutch assembly. Dealer says they have filed this w/ Yamaha. You might want to have your dealer contact Yamaha too.
I'm planning to take the bike in and leave it overnight. Hopefully the next day the problem will be more consistent.

·
PWN3R
1,396 Posts
Cold you say ? what kind of Oil you got ?
Some oils don't operate in cold as well as others
find out what oil you have. I found out about that the hard way
at work we have unloading hydraulic platforms one of our engineers put regular oil which does not operate well in cold temperatures it was -12 and platform engine blew....
It should of had Aircraft type of Oil in there oh well 200,000$ went down the drain :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
echo7 said:
Cold you say ? what kind of Oil you got ?
Some oils don't operate in cold as well as others
find out what oil you have. I found out about that the hard way
at work we have unloading hydraulic platforms one of our engineers put regular oil which does not operate well in cold temperatures it was -12 and platform engine blew....
It should of had Aircraft type of Oil in there oh well 200,000$ went down the drain :)
Whatever came with the bike and whatever the dealer used @ 600 miles service. I doubt its oil related b/c at normal temperatures I also have this problem (not as bad)

·
Ride Safe Mofos, I mean it.
1,957 Posts
Press the cluch lever 2 or 3 times fully before u engage into first then the plates should separate more easily.

·
An R1 a day keeps Dr. away
185 Posts
newbee said:
Mine started after the first 200 miles. When its cold outside, it gets pretty bad. It takes 2-3 sec. before the clutch disengages. Problem comes and goes even after the engine-block is warmup (after few hrs of riding).
I took the bike in and my dealer could not find anything wrong w/ clutch assembly. Dealer says they have filed this w/ Yamaha. You might want to have your dealer contact Yamaha too.
I'm planning to take the bike in and leave it overnight. Hopefully the next day the problem will be more consistent.
I have the same problem with my '04, It's 300 Mi and still does it, if not worse, trying to change from N to 1st. while cold and from stop, I get janked forward. :(

I have an appointment for Tuesday with the dealer. :rant

The price we pay for guinea pigging I guess. :fork

·
Registered
84 Posts
nsxer said:
You saying that when you pull the clutch in it will still remain in gear for a sec or 2??? If so, I dont have that problem on mine... I have 400miles on her....

·
Registered
132 Posts
TOMOS said:
Press the cluch lever 2 or 3 times fully before u engage into first then the plates should separate more easily.
Actually to work-around this problem for the first gear is to pull in the clutch and give is a quick gas (up to 2k and no more) and then put in the first.

·
185 Posts
Is it the weather in San Jose or what? there are 3 of us now.

·
WHO STOLE MY DAM BIKE
515 Posts
nothing new my 02 and everyone else i know thier's does too only when it's cold :yesnod

·
185 Posts

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
nsxer said:
You already answered your own question..............Cold.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts