Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
An R1 a day keeps Dr. away
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the frame sliders for my '04 from Graves, I think they look very good on pictures, haven't received them yet, but I was wondering the reasons why design-wise most of them are a cylinder; I think that the bigger the contact area, the force would be distributed thus the impact would cause less damage, so my design suggestion would be to have something like the picture attached. It would replace the plastic piece shown keeping the stock apearance only made higher to clear the fairings in case of a spill/fall. Is it feasible Mr. Graves? Could it be CNC machined? Will I get stock options of your company for sharing my designs? :sneaky

Seriously, could you produce something like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Its a cost vs. time to produce thing;

Cylindrical is easy to machine,just cut a plastic pole in pieces then slap them into the lathe which is pre-setted with a drill bit and just slide it in,press the metal fitting in and that is it...

Any other design (like yours for exemple) would require a milling machine and A LOT of wasted material as well as a few processes to end up with the same kind of protection.

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But, would you be willing to pay a few extra bucks to have the same or better protection with a more OEM look?

I think I would...:corn

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
Kyrio said:
But, would you be willing to pay a few extra bucks to have the same or better protection with a more OEM look?

I think I would...:corn
Welcome to America. Land of the free, cheap, and lazy. I agree, and hate the round frame sliders.

·
Vendor
251 Posts
Kyrio said:
I ordered the frame sliders for my '04 from Graves, I think they look very good on pictures, haven't received them yet, but I was wondering the reasons why design-wise most of them are a cylinder; I think that the bigger the contact area, the force would be distributed thus the impact would cause less damage, so my design suggestion would be to have something like the picture attached. It would replace the plastic piece shown keeping the stock apearance only made higher to clear the fairings in case of a spill/fall. Is it feasible Mr. Graves? Could it be CNC machined? Will I get stock options of your company for sharing my designs? :sneaky

Seriously, could you produce something like this?
We did build some proto-type just like that for the 02 model. We canned it for the following reasons
When they are big enough to protect the bodywork and frame they interfere with the riders knees depending on the size of the rider and his seating position.
Cost is as well an issue, they would be substantially more money.
They would not give the same protection; they would be attached with 6mm screws that will most likely break off in the frame in a small tip over
They looked a bit clumsy as well.

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:(

·
Registered
357 Posts
no cutting for the Graves frame sliders and t he 04 R1? is this correct?

Can somebody post some closeup pics of the sliders OFF the bike, then when mounted?

thanks

Tarl

·
L8R2U
21,412 Posts
Nice sliders. Did you get a good price or just buy them? :hellobye

·
L8R2U
21,412 Posts
racerboy88 said:
are the bar ends on the 04 the same as the older R1's?
Bar ends are the same I used the one's off my 02 for my 04.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Charles Graves, when can we expect to see a Graves Clutch Slider...?

·
Vendor
251 Posts
SingaporeScott said:
Charles Graves, when can we expect to see a Graves Clutch Slider...?
Do you need this for the 04 R1? It comes with a clutch protector stock. I can make it if you think it is needed. Should it be the standard type that is attached to the swing–arm- pivot or something slick that mounts to the clutch cover? Chuck

·
Registered
115 Posts
Charles Graves said:
Do you need this for the 04 R1? It comes with a clutch protector stock. I can make it if you think it is needed. Should it be the standard type that is attached to the swing–arm- pivot or something slick that mounts to the clutch cover? Chuck [/B

Needs to be on the swing arm pivot as this helps save the foot pegs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts