Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
your mom looks hot
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone installed these? I took my engine bolt out and tried to install the sliders, but it seems to me that there is no way they can work on the 04 bike. I double checked the product number and they seem to be the right model. The bolt isn't fully threaded the whole length of the bolt and it seems to hit the non-threaded part before the slider is tightened to the frame/engine mount.
No instructions at all are provided.

further, the slider barely sticks out at all. they're almost too small it seems.

:mad:

·
Shut up and ride
2,359 Posts
Double check first. I don't know about the 04's but when I got my sliders for my 03 I thought there was something wrong. I kept on trying until I figured out I was putting them on bass ackwards. Try everything before you send them back.

·
R1-Forum
1,628 Posts
fastdiablo:
The Graves frame sliders are a direct bolt-on, I'll will post pictures of a new package later this evening. It's possible you received the wrong year.

Thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
well first thing you got to know is that the graves frame sliders are not ment to save your plastics..graves frame sliders are made for the tracks to save your frame only, thats why they are shorter than most sliders so that when you go down and the bike goes sliding the sliders wouldnt get cought and flip the bike and land on you..what you are looking for is the street sliders they are made longer and thinner so that if the bike does go sliding and the slider get caught it would just break off.. just make sure you dont get the cabon fiber or the polish sliders those are just for looks i call them the "noobie sliders" you see alot of those on new riders, you can hardly break them off using a saw..if you can wait a month or so i think the las vagas extream guyz are making the street sliders for the 04 i think theres no cutting needed also if i were you i'll just return the graves and just wait..

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
Make sure you are putting the right slider on the right side and the left slider on the left side. If one is longer than the other, the longer one goes on the left side facing forward.

·
your mom looks hot
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they are both identical and symetrical. no front, no back, no longer or shorter. i'll call them on monday.

what i seem to be seeing here is that NOBODY has put these on their bike???

·
Driving the Big Brown Truck
1,715 Posts
Somebody with these on their 04, please take an "above" pic looking down on the bike so we can see how far they stick out. I have a set still in the pack unopened (because I still dont have my FRIGGIN BIKE) and now I'm questioning wether or not to use them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
are you using the stock bolts because they are shorter than the bolts that come with the graves sliders. i got mine thursday and the stick out 1-1.25 inches.

·
585 Posts
further, the slider barely sticks out at all. they're almost too small it seems.

:mad: [/B][/QUOTE]

I bought a set from Intuitive for the same reason, The IRP set is much longer than the graves units. I have crash tested a set of IRP sliders and they did not break off or fail in anyway.

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
wsbk996 said:
who makes those?
Mine are Lightning Products... I have them for my 02 and 04 and I like them, of course I have not and do not intend to test them. Picked them up as a set of 3 sliders for about $75-80. I think the regular price is about $90.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought the Graves sliders and they fit my '04 perfectly. If I am recalling correctly they are both built the same, no difference between left and right.

Jeff

·
your mom looks hot
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jeff,
are you bolts threaded all the way up the bolt?

do you remember whether the aluminum spacer goes with the longer end in or out?
i tried both ways and it seems like i run out of thread before the sliders are tight.

·
Registered
253 Posts
fastdiablo said:
jeff,
are you bolts threaded all the way up the bolt?

do you remember whether the aluminum spacer goes with the longer end in or out?
i tried both ways and it seems like i run out of thread before the sliders are tight.
dude are you sure you are taking off the right bolt..

·
Registered
261 Posts
R1_enough_said said:
Somebody with these on their 04, please take an "above" pic looking down on the bike so we can see how far they stick out. I have a set still in the pack unopened (because I still dont have my FRIGGIN BIKE) and now I'm questioning wether or not to use them.
Yes please post up a pic. I have my 04 and just got the Graves sliders yesterday, but I don't want to put them on if they are short. I didn't just buy mine to protect my frame only, but as much of my fairing as possible as well. I went down on a GSXR with some Pro Tec frame sliders which were long and they did not snap or break off.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts