Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed the muffler cover and ground off the brackets, took a while to do but the results are pretty good. The welding distorted the metal a little and it shows slightly after I removed the brackets.....but only if you look for it.
I do not recommend doing this unless you have a die grinder, cut off wheel, flapper wheel, duct tape and cabinet sand blaster.

Attachments

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Can you post another pic when the the seat and all is back on? And also closeup of the can?

Nice job.

·
OUT4FUN
132 Posts
looks good... was it hard to get the plastic off? i was looking at it and it didn't look like it wanted to come off easy...

·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plastic comes off easier than the earlier models

crash_harder said:
looks good... was it hard to get the plastic off? i was looking at it and it didn't look like it wanted to come off easy...

·
Anyone see a Honda I'm hungry
749 Posts
GRH said:
Removed the muffler cover and ground off the brackets, took a while to do but the results are pretty good. The welding distorted the metal a little and it shows slightly after I removed the brackets.....but only if you look for it.
I do not recommend doing this unless you have a die grinder, cut off wheel, flapper wheel, duct tape and cabinet sand blaster.
Looks good . I have mine all ready for that but something came up this weekend . I painted the plastic covers flat black in the meantime . Looks better than the gold finish .
I plan to grind the welds down a good bit but I bought a pc of .20" real carbon fiber to make a small emblem to go over where they were ...

·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: '04 Muffler bracket removal

I had planned on doing the CF guard and had all the material ready but when I looked at the bracket setup I realized I couldn't cover it up enough to look clean.

rydfree said:
Looks good . I have mine all ready for that but something came up this weekend . I painted the plastic covers flat black in the meantime . Looks better than the gold finish .
I plan to grind the welds down a good bit but I bought a pc of .20" real carbon fiber to make a small emblem to go over where they were ...

·
Pirelli: Control is everything
264 Posts
rocketman04r1 said:
very good show - im wondering if we'll be able to purchase the YEC set up any time....

http://www.yamaha-racingparts.com/r1/index.html

anyone know???

i really like that look but the work that must have went into doing that....
i wish i could - dont have the tools....

very nice work!!!
:thumbup
I contacted Yamaha Canada last week about the YEC stuff. So far I have no response. When I hear something I will post here.

·
Registered
785 Posts
You did a great job.

All you need now is a titanium pipe to eliminate the EXUP valve and the cat! Maybe, also, change the packing a little.

Would probably be a good power gain!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tried taking it apart yesterday and I couldn't manage.

How did you seperate the plastics. There are two clips that hold them together by the seat that won't seperate. I tried for hours and couldn't do it, very frustrating.

Please help.

·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The fasteners are one screw at the rear, two phillips head quick clips up front top and two pull type quick clips underneath both sides towards the front of the mufflers.

·
//Low-Life\\
24,812 Posts
:cool: When u cut the bracket off u find that the pipes have been coated after the brackets were tacked on so there is no coating behind the brackets when u remove them so im going to polish the pipes clean as for now they still look alot better. WARNING this isnt easy to do so use a die grinder but be CAREFUL u can cut right into the pipes!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts