Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that some of you lucky SOB's have had the chance to put some miles on the new 04. What do you think?? Can you tell the 7000 slump it there? How are the new dun-flops? Any dis-likes.

Thanks for the info, some of us are still waiting on our bikes to arrive. :thumbup

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Naw no word I keep getting the "any day " story Did they give you any indication when you got yours?? I would not be able to ride it anyways. We got 4 inches of snow last night. Keep me posted on how you are liking it, and congrats........

oh ya U SUK...............................:thumbup

·
Banned
1,285 Posts
have not gone above 7k rpm yet. recommended by manual for break-in. A couple of short burst through the gears and engine braking. 234miles as of tonight. Well can't tell you about the 7k slump. My first litre bike and its like heaven to me (the whole bike in general. :) Dunlops are doing pretty good so far. Run it to my local twisty mountains and i love it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I like it. Still doing breakin but riding more and more normal every day.

Bike is very agile with very crisp throttle response, the engine likes to REV and it has plenty of power. The thing will pull hard from 4000 RPM in 6th gear.

The bike revs so fast you're thru the 7000 RPM range very quickly and the "slump" is not really noticable to me.

Bike feels very tiny and u'd think u were on a 600 till u roll that throttle back, look out.

U get used to the TALL first gear, but I anticipate me ordering a 16T front sprocket soon. I don't really care to use 1st gear all the way to 100mph.

Tarl

·
Loving it!
92 Posts
Almost 500 miles here, and have only hit 8k a couple of times, I try to do what the manual recomends. Although it says no prolonged operation above 7k for the first 600mi. I will ride it tomorrow and get that extra 100mi. and change her oil. Then I can go to 8k for the next 400mi, then I am done with the break-in yay!! I will let you know about the 7k slump when I am broke in. Not sure if it will be noticiable though here, because I am at almost 7,000 feet. I imagine that the power is less here anyway because of the altitude.

:fork

·
Banned
1,285 Posts
guys , during break in below 7k rpm , do you guys bring it to 80 or 90mph intentionally/ not intentionally at times through the gears?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i agree in that the slump is not really noticable seat of the pants wise. Only issue I've really had is that its much different to launch than the old one. You could just about dump the clutch and go on my02 but the 04 needs some revs and a little clutch to get moving quickly. But its a blast, you wont be dissapointed! Very light and agile. It will be nice to really get it into some corneres once the roads heat up.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks guys, I'm like a kid waiting for x-mass. I'm dam near 40 years old, and I don't think I have ever anticipated anything this much, (well for my wife's sake) okay the birth of my children.

Keep it coming:thumbup

·
MK Racers 51-50
561 Posts
So far very nice. I'm still only at 500 miles but have gone over 7K once in a while. I've never noticed the flat spot everyone is talking about. (I'm right around sea level here).

The bike has a good deal more power than my 00 R1 up to the level that I have taken it. The New Dunlops are real nice. They are very good for stock street tires.

I just took my wheels off, they are getting Permastar "Chrome" finish! Should be awesome with the blue! 2 weeks. Let me know if you want to see pics when it's done.

Happy waiting.
:thumbup

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have not noticed the dip at all, and I have taken mine up to into the 13000 rpm range. I couldn't do the break in like you guys are doing. I am impatient and there is no way I can have all that power but not use it for a 1000 miles. I started ripping on mine with about 150 miles on it.

·
the Green Bastard
6,974 Posts
Xorn said:
Almost 500 miles here, and have only hit 8k a couple of times, I try to do what the manual recomends. Although it says no prolonged operation above 7k for the first 600mi. I will ride it tomorrow and get that extra 100mi. and change her oil. Then I can go to 8k for the next 400mi, then I am done with the break-in yay!! I will let you know about the 7k slump when I am broke in. Not sure if it will be noticiable though here, because I am at almost 7,000 feet. I imagine that the power is less here anyway because of the altitude.

Where, if in colorado, did you get your bike from and how much did you pay? I'm going back and forth from R1 to ZX-10R very frequently and just want to have an idea what the local market is like.:sneaky

·
r1 noob
115 Posts
almost 600 miles as of this mornings ride. havnt changed my oil yet but the bike runs smooth. very quick throttle response and flicks side to side very easily. i havnt ridden a previous r1 so i cant tell you if its that much better but it feels very light. i've brang it up to 10k a few times and i didnt really notice too much of a slump. in 6th gear roll ons around 4k i could use a little more torque but hey, once you get around 6k it starts to pull. over all i like the bike a lot! the only complaint i have is i HATE THE CLUTCH LEVER. as soon as they make a shorter clutch <one i can use with two fingers> im going to get one. only flaw on the bike IMO. hopefully CRG comes out with some VERY SOON

04 r1 cerulean silver #383

·
SHUT DA ***** UP & RIDE!!
244 Posts
for the ppl that had 02's, is it more comfortable? i just know the 02-03's are seated in a very aggresive stance

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks guys, keep it coming. Does the stock wind-screen offer little or no protection? it looks a lill low. And as asked, how does it compair to the 02-03?

·
Loving it!
92 Posts
2000750 said:
Where, if in colorado, did you get your bike from and how much did you pay? I'm going back and forth from R1 to ZX-10R very frequently and just want to have an idea what the local market is like.:sneaky

Rocky Mountain in the Springs, 11,400 OTD! 15% on all accessories too.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Outch 11,400.00 OTD ?? I payed 9302.00 OTD, but i do not have it yet..

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
Re: 04

slick said:
Thanks guys, keep it coming. Does the stock wind-screen offer little or no protection? it looks a lill low. And as asked, how does it compair to the 02-03?
OEM windscreen sucks, period! DB is a definate must.

I agree with Tarl as to how the R1 feels. She is a extremely ridable rocket!:eek:

And did I forget to mention sexy?:fact

P.S. Still no clutch problems...:lol

·
SHUT DA ***** UP & RIDE!!
244 Posts
frank said:
for the ppl that had 02-03's, is it more comfortable? i just know the 02-03's are seated in a very aggresive stance
no takers on this question?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts