Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
your mom looks hot
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pain is nearly over. my bike (finally f'ing) arrived in NorCal and is ready to be picked up tomorrow. silver 04, out the door for 11.6K which is msrp plus tax and registration.

i placed my order yesterday for the Graves Exhaust, Graves fender kit, PC3usb, Graves frame sliders and some black mirror covers. i also ordered the clear vinyl protection kit from Lucas at tankslapper.biz.

NOW if i can only figure out how to flip my shift pattern from street to race, i'll be in business. anyone know of a method?

thanks -AFM #774

:thumbup

here is my and my bike :makeout

·
FOREVER ON MY GRIND
567 Posts
I don't see anything? Hey your bike must be like mine...still missing.

·
your mom looks hot
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pain is over.

i picked my new silver 04 up tonight. this will be my steet bike. i rode it home on the freeway 33 miles in 58 degree weather around dusk. some comments.

i picked up the bike and it had .8 miles on it. 11.5K out the door. cash.

the blue dash is sick, especially at night. very easy to read and see tach and speed. the shift light is big -about the size of a nickle and is bright white. very cool. it came programmed at 7000rpm. on the freeway, my engine temp was 160 degrees. once in traffic, it got as high as about 216 degrees. the bike throws off a lot of heat to the rider, but my seat did not get hot. summertime will probably be a different story, but i had and RC51 which was like riding a toaster oven.

the bike is pretty loud, especially around 6000-8000. i barely went above 7000, but when i did, the bike sounded like a friggen monster, even at 100mph.
i hit a max of 102mph on the way home in 4th or 5th, but just for a moment. i couldn't believe how fast teh bike was at 100mph. nuts!!!

first gear is tall, but by no means too tall to use without a problem -i didn't find i needed to use much clutch to get the bike going at all (contrary to what a journalist said). in fact, i liked the tall 1st when i hit some traffic across the Bay Bridge entering San Francisco. you can easily ride in 1st up to 50-60mph no prob. kinda cool i thought, especially for the city, but maybe one day i'll want more low-end. to early to tell i guess. the low-end *felt* plentiful to me by the way, but i'm used to a GSXR 750 and 2001 R6 which you ride in the rev range if you want power. this bike seems no different. low-end torque to me is sorta unimportant since if you want power you just ride the torque curve rather than bog the bike. i raced GP, so maybe i'm used to high rpm riding though. street riders might want to change gearing.

by the way, bike feels / rides like my R6. it might even have felt smaller with MEAN bite when you twist the throttle. when downshifting, the stock exhaust makes a bitchen gurgle/ boil sound that actually sounds like a V-Twin. sick for a stock exhaust i thought. i hope my Graves slip-ons accentuate that gurgle sound. very wicked.

Gearbox was very smooth and shifts were very positive, althogh again, i wasn't riding hard at all. i had no problem finding neutral and my only complaint is that i can't see how i switch the shift pattern from street to race. this sucks actually. how the F can they make this bike and not have it easily switchable from street to race shift pattern? crappy.

front brakes make a serious hissing noise when applied. i dragged them a little hear and there to help them bed a bit. i got on the brakes a little harder at one point and they didn't feel strong or weak. i am used to more power on my race bike, but mabe once these break in, they'll feel more powerful.

on the freeway my lights were exceptionally bright and i could see the light pattern across all 4 lanes and up the embankments. the lights are very very bright. the brights are even brigher of course and they are super powerful. they look very cool and wiht the outside running lights, they are very bad ass from a pure looks perspective.

cheers. #774 :beer

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
fastdiablo said:
pain is nearly over. my bike (finally f'ing) arrived in NorCal and is ready to be picked up tomorrow. silver 04, out the door for 11.6K which is msrp plus tax and registration.

i placed my order yesterday for the Graves Exhaust, Graves fender kit, PC3usb, Graves frame sliders and some black mirror covers. i also ordered the clear vinyl protection kit from Lucas at tankslapper.biz.

NOW if i can only figure out how to flip my shift pattern from street to race, i'll be in business. anyone know of a method?

thanks -AFM #774

:thumbup

here is my and my bike :makeout
Here is what I'm going to do.............. http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19759&highlight=reverse+shift

·
ShInYSiDe <VS> RuBBeRSiDe
1,303 Posts
Congrats ont he new "one"

so you bought the VINYL package from Lucas huh???

What it run you all in?? and that is NOT the 3M one then Correct?

Why did you go with the Vinyl and not the 3M?? Just curious.. I'm still debating what to do in regards to with package..
Thanks.. and ENJOY that new BIKE!!!

·
your mom looks hot
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i bought a vinyl package from lucas about 4 years ago for my RC51 and it was excellent. they guy is a standup dude, very cool and stands behind his product all the way.
it may sound strange, but i bought the non-3m product because lucas is selling it. knowing him, i know he would not sell a product unless it was good. from that perspective, i know what he's selling will work well and if i ever had a problem, lucas would have my back. simple as that.

all in it was about $49 and it shipped the same day i ordered! the kit comes with a ton of pieces for all over your bike and bodywork -tank, fender, lights, fairing, nose..

you won't be dissapointed with anything you buy from lucas. :thumbup

·
1,303 Posts
Which in your opinion is MORE transparent?

the Vinyl.. Or 3M?

i heard that it may crack over time (vinyl) and wrinkle.. and that the 3M is MUCH stronger.. any thoughts.?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Graves has rearsets that change the shift patten. It is strange that they don't make this simpler. Possibly, making the frame hole large enough would weaken the frame too much.

One of the moto-journalists said the brakes got much better after they were done bedding in. Someone else mounted SS lines and said they were much better afterewards.m

·
your mom looks hot
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
1,303 Posts
how much for the whole 3M package? Anyone know?

·
It was burning when I got here
39 Posts
Just went out to the site. Thanks again for the link. Mine is on order. It's about $16 for the tank and about $45 for the complete kit. Not sure I'll use all of it, but sure worth avoiding that O.S. feeling when you climb off the bike at Peaks of Otter and see the abrasion from your tankbag.

Cheers,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts