Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on my 2004 R1 with 13k miles on it. I have a manual cam chain tensioner on it, and have for years after hearing horror stories of the ACCT.

So I rarely ride my bike, so it's hard for me to remember how it sounds each time. I probably only put 100 miles or so on it last year. Anyway, a few years ago, but about 1k miles ago I had a loud ticking noise. A local shop determined it had spun a rod bearing. Several thousand dollars later the bike was back. They used a used crankshaft, but assured me that it was in great condition and wouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I've now noticed that it just sounds a bit off to me, with a sort of tick again. I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid and this is normal, or if I have something going on again. You can hear the noise here in the video here:

I thought it might be the famous stator magnet issue after reading online, so I finally got around to pulling the stator apart today, but to my surprise it was fine. All of the magnets were still in place.

What are your thoughts? Is this normal, or do I have something wrong?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is on my 2004 R1 with 13k miles on it. I have a manual cam chain tensioner on it, and have for years after hearing horror stories of the ACCT.

So I rarely ride my bike, so it's hard for me to remember how it sounds each time. I probably only put 100 miles or so on it last year. Anyway, a few years ago, but about 1k miles ago I had a loud ticking noise. A local shop determined it had spun a rod bearing. Several thousand dollars later the bike was back. They used a used crankshaft, but assured me that it was in great condition and wouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I've now noticed that it just sounds a bit off to me, with a sort of tick again. I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid and this is normal, or if I have something going on again. You can hear the noise here in the video here:

I thought it might be the famous stator magnet issue after reading online, so I finally got around to pulling the stator apart today, but to my surprise it was fine. All of the magnets were still in place.

What are your thoughts? Is this normal, or do I have something wrong?
I don't hear nothing unusual. When you ride the bike do you feel that lacks power or something strange. When you start the engine cold there are always some noises. Try to change motor oil and filter, i always use Silkolene PRO 4 10W-40 XP, engine is running much smoother compared to other motor oils and clutch is less grabby. Change motor oil every year or every 3500-4000km, do not rev it high when it's cold or without load. I have 2004 R1 with 44500km, no weird noises from the engine and still pulls strong. Regarding to the AC generator rotor i think that main cause of falling magnets is rotor bearings wear which causes excessive radial rotor movement and magnets-stator contact. Another thing about 2004 R1, Yamaha issued recall on primary TPS, so change it if you didn't. If you want i could record the sound of mine and post it.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,294 Posts
Sounds pretty normal from here. A little bit of whine from the oil/water pump (which is a good thing) and a hair of cam chain rattle. If you have a manual tensioner, you could adjust it out, if you have the factory tensioner it's probably between teeth. The rattle ain't bad though.

Again, from my place, she has a clean bill of health.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts