Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short and Sweet - I had a chance to check out what appears to be one of the first units on the the east side (though florida seems to be doing very well)

First- for those who care about dyno results: G1k averaged 147.3 across 3 runs. 04 R1 rang up 151.8 across 4 runs. There is also a small mid-range gap though- the Gix still has a touch more power between 3800 and 5K... only a couple of horsies though- something worth mentioning. The test was not done with a fan, so I imagine with airflow, both bikes would register a couple more - if anyone does this comparo with a fan, by all means- PM me- I'm more curious than caring about it...

FIrst Ride Impression- PLease do bear in mind, air temp was in mid 40's and I still maintain dunlops blow.. however the new compound was actually alot better than the 208s that came on my 2002. Bike had 650 on the clock- 720 when i got done.

The bike is far more composed than my 02 ever felt- front end is substantially different- in fact, the entire feel of the machine is different- this includes the rider position. It's more aggressive in terms of posturing- still, I think you could do plenty of hours around town and not be too unhappy- the bike more than makes up for comfort in handling department- this feels to me, where the best of the imporvements were made.

Mid-range: If I didn't know any better, I would swear my 02 had even a little more in the lower MR... 8grand was the cap- after 5K, the 04 pulls alot harder than my 02 though- ALOT- it just feels more assertive and responsive to throttle imput- in short, livelier. Throttle response is perfect- though i guess I expected this, since yammie got it right when the put fuelie on the 02. kudos for keeping it right there...

Brakes- much better than my 02 again- best brakes I ever felt on a yamaha- maybe too good in fact- I weigh 195, that's around 30 pounds heavier than my buddy who owns it. Forks were set to 5 out- I would have much prefereed it to be 3 though- as a result, I really knew how much better the front brakes were.

Corner entances are very composed- I can't explain it any other way- the bike is just soup to nuts MORE COMPOSED in just about every regard. Fast exits were very confidence inspiring too- on the clovers, the first exit I took very responsibly- I did the same exit about a dozen times, pushing just a little harder on each- After the third, I just couldn't believe it- in a aspot where I knew my 02 would always complain the 04 soaked anf burned. The bike feels much better.

Roll-on- too early to tell without full break in. With a 8K cap, I can say already as I said before, from 5K up to the 8 I rode it to, it pulls noticeably harder and feels more spirited- however 3 to 5K, I'd swear my 02 had a little more.

Ergos - Again, the bike is alot more aggressive- I fyou own an 02/03 and are thinking of the 04, I would make sure you put your ass in the saddle first- while the bike feels more refined pretty much all around, I don't think you can do as many hours without a bit more discomfort. Still, I like the rider position a whole lot- it inspires harder riding and the bike seems easily capable of holding the line better than my 02 as a reference- again, more composed, more confidence inspiring.

Bottom Line- I got off the machine thinking "shiit, I need to lose 10 or 15 pounds!!! lol"

i think it is still far too cold to get accurate color on the new dunflops- but despite my deep hate for their tires, these seem ALOT better than the 208s mine had!!! yuck! HAS ANYONE COMPARED CARCASS PROFILE BETWEEN 208 AND 218??? PLEASE POST PICS IF YOU HAVE- I would swear the 218 feels like it has more curvature...

lastly- looks: In person this is the sexiest R1 ever... I thin it's also one of the sexiest looking sportbikes ever- so if you want a looker, the hour is now- the R1 is stunning- even more in person than in the most flattering pics. The stock exhaust sounds decent (better than any other stock cans in the R1s past) I like the intake drone too- not quite a growl- more of a whirrrr and alot sweeter than the 02's intake note...which I still dig to this day.

All in all, a really fantastic job by yamaha- I think they really listened to feedback (namely about keeping the front end composed more) and they responded with one hell of a sport bike. I could care less about HP numbers and other bullshit- so far, the 1 looks better, sounds pretty decent for stock (can't wait to hear the barrage of aftermarkets coming soon) and the front end and brakes are better than ever.

Hopefully I'll make a better assessment one it warms up a touch and once the bike is fully broken it.

happy riding!
scud

·
Thriller
3,589 Posts
Thanks for the info, very informative. Cheers

·
Anyone see a Honda I'm hungry
748 Posts
scud said:
I still maintain dunlops blow.. however the new compound was actually alot better than the 208s that came on my 2002. Bike had 650 on the clock- 720 when i got done.

i think it is still far too cold to get accurate color on the new dunflops- but despite my deep hate for their tires, these seem ALOT better than the 208s mine had!!! yuck! HAS ANYONE COMPARED CARCASS PROFILE BETWEEN 208 AND 218??? PLEASE POST PICS IF YOU HAVE- I would swear the 218 feels like it has more curvature...

I'm curious as to why some riders think so badly of Dunlops . My personal experience has been great . While I am aware what comes on the bikes is a compromise by Yamaha for longer tread life and they are not well suited for faster riding in the twisties , other series of Dunlops are very well performing . I've heard riders at trackday diss the Dunlops then get passed by someone on those very Dunlops . If that bike can go faster and stick then it must be the rider huh ? I have also seen riders get the Dunlop 208 GP's they use for racing thinking they must be better since racers use them and swear they don't grip when actually the problem is those riders are not fast enough to get them up to temp to perform as designed . I use 207RR's on my heavy ass FJR and those things are like glue and very pedictable when warming up as well (which they do quickly even on the street)

I have run 208GP's , Michelin Pilot Sports , Pirelli Dragon Super Corsa's etc on my current bike and the 207RR's are the best for me . I would use Michelin H2's but I just like giving my friend who runs those and swears by them a hard time >g< I know they are an exceptional tire as well . I hated the Pilot Sports though .

Just curious . I have 2 sets of Dunlop 207RR's waiting after the OEM are used for breakin . Also the rear is going to be a 180 from then on .

·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you ask a great question...

you ask an excellent question- and the truth is, there's nothing wrong with dunlops, if you like 'em!

THe truth about tires is it is entirely subjective.. perhaps you'll laugh, but the reason I pike the pilots so much is in fact because they're VAGUER than the flops- it inspires a bit more confidence. Also, because the carcass is entirely different... take a look - you might discover upon (not so) close inspection, that a 190 pilot is inf act NARRAOWER than a 180 dunlop!!!

I've seen alot of guys go real fast on dunlops- that's awesome- good for them. For me, I hate the damned things because they way they feedback. I've had the best results with the M1s though- however clearly they're not meant to last- I think the pilot sports are a perfect happy-medium between tread-life, appropriate feedback (meaning my preferred type of feedback) and the way their smooth transitioning makes them predictable.. the less curved carcass on the dunflop also makes them feel "stranger" at extreme lean than the mish- which is largely why I like the mishes more.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,974 Posts
The thing that kills me is all those who are looking to upgrade their older R1's to match this bike.

Its simply NOT going to happen.

Its more than the 25HP advantage the 04 R1 has over the older R1's.

Its simply better in every category, be that braking, handling, acceleration, features.. you name it.. its improved..

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
"It's more aggressive in terms of posturing- still, I think you could do plenty of hours around town and not be too unhappy- the bike more than makes up for comfort in handling department- this feels to me, where the best of the imporvements were made."

"Ergos - Again, the bike is alot more aggressive- I fyou own an 02/03 and are thinking of the 04, I would make sure you put your ass in the saddle first- while the bike feels more refined pretty much all around, I don't think you can do as many hours without a bit more discomfort."

How can you say this? The 04' R1 is a lot more street riding friendly.:fact

Clip-ons are 10mm higher, pegs are 2.5mm more forward and 7mm or so lower. You sit in the bike rather than on it. I just don't get your evaluation.

·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can only say what I felt...

Dude, I can only explain the way I felt... if you disagree, then have it your way. I'm 5'11"+ and 195lbs. I felt that the bike encouraged a different posture in turns- it's a different riding style than the 02... the only way to demonstrate it is go ride it yourself... or perhaps you have on elaready...

I felt more upfront and I felt my weight was better distributed in the natural riding position for aggresive entrances- however I also felt more strain on my back- that's about an hour of riding or so..

You point to the paper like the numbers mean something- last I checked, we all had different builds- I can only comment on my own findings.:iamwithst

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
Re: I can only say what I felt...

scud said:
Dude, I can only explain the way I felt... if you disagree, then have it your way. I'm 5'11"+ and 195lbs. I felt that the bike encouraged a different posture in turns- it's a different riding style than the 02... the only way to demonstrate it is go ride it yourself... or perhaps you have on elaready...

I felt more upfront and I felt my weight was better distributed in the natural riding position for aggresive entrances- however I also felt more strain on my back- that's about an hour of riding or so..

You point to the paper like the numbers mean something- last I checked, we all had different builds- I can only comment on my own findings.:iamwithst
Not trying to argue with you, relax chief.:thumbup

I've sat on the 04' R1. I'm 6'-0" 170lbs. Just like on paper, the new 04' R1 feels a lot better. Better than any other R1, and I've owned four of them.

But thanks for your opinions.....................db

·
Registered
71 Posts
r1-superstar said:
"It's more aggressive in terms of posturing- still, I think you could do plenty of hours around town and not be too unhappy- the bike more than makes up for comfort in handling department- this feels to me, where the best of the imporvements were made."

"Ergos - Again, the bike is alot more aggressive- I fyou own an 02/03 and are thinking of the 04, I would make sure you put your ass in the saddle first- while the bike feels more refined pretty much all around, I don't think you can do as many hours without a bit more discomfort."

How can you say this? The 04' R1 is a lot more street riding friendly.:fact

Clip-ons are 10mm higher, pegs are 2.5mm more forward and 7mm or so lower. You sit in the bike rather than on it. I just don't get your evaluation.
I'm a newbie, but have to agree with R1-superstar regarding the posture/ergonomics. Yamaha positioned the pegs forward and lower, and clip-ons are 10mm higher, making the rider more vertical in the seat.

·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have you even sat on it yet?

Have you even sat on the bike yet? You guys are throwing the numbers around - I'm not debating that on paper it would seem more comfy- but the plain and simple fact is that because of the shifted forward weight (which AGAIN seriously improved corner entrances IMHO ALOT) I felt kind of crammed up front and as a result I experienced more back fatigue than I felt on my 02... Im offering my findings- I'm not going to sit and argue about friggin numbers...

Go ride one- if you love it great- go buy one. I've already acknowledged I think this is the best R1 ever... what the fuuck else do you want?!?!?!?

I offer as objectve an opinion as I can give. I also think (as I thought months ago- you can read my prediction from like january) that the ZX10 is going to end up being a better track tool.. but who knows- that's just a prediction

The FACT is that I experienced more back fatigue than on my 02. And I didn't spend quite enough time in the saddle to comment on wrist fatigue (which BTW, was a bit problematic for me on the 02... but I suspect the clip-on positioning is going to alleviate this- but we'll see once it warms up)

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
Re: have you even sat on it yet?

scud said:
Have you even sat on the bike yet? You guys are throwing the numbers around - I'm not debating that on paper it would seem more comfy- but the plain and simple fact is that because of the shifted forward weight (which AGAIN seriously improved corner entrances IMHO ALOT) I felt kind of crammed up front and as a result I experienced more back fatigue than I felt on my 02... Im offering my findings- I'm not going to sit and argue about friggin numbers...

Go ride one- if you love it great- go buy one. I've already acknowledged I think this is the best R1 ever... what the fuuck else do you want?!?!?!?

I offer as objectve an opinion as I can give. I also think (as I thought months ago- you can read my prediction from like january) that the ZX10 is going to end up being a better track tool.. but who knows- that's just a prediction

The FACT is that I experienced more back fatigue than on my 02. And I didn't spend quite enough time in the saddle to comment on wrist fatigue (which BTW, was a bit problematic for me on the 02... but I suspect the clip-on positioning is going to alleviate this- but we'll see once it warms up)
Yes I have sat on one. And I'll own one in about a week (should have been last week, but oh well Shit Happens).

Wrist fatigue? It's your riding position that sounds like the problem here for your back as well as your wrists. Your wrist should never, and I repeat "Never" get fatigued while riding.

P.S. No need to swear or get upset. Chill man...................:bandit

·
Born Again to Ride !!
6 Posts
New to the Forum and R1

Guys..

I pick up mine at the end of the month.. :rock

The Aprilia will remain the track tool until i get use to the multi again...

Just one thing..

you lucky guys in the US get fully colour coded plastics and black front forks

We end up with a black belly pan, and gold front forks ??? :mad: :boobies

Why ???

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
Re: New to the Forum and R1

RSVMAN said:
Guys..

Just one thing..

Why ???
Just because. And WELCOME to the forum................:beer

·
L8R2U
21,412 Posts
Thanks for the info :hellobye

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
Re: New to the Forum and R1

RSVMAN said:
Guys..

Just one thing..

Why ???
No problem, I'm looking to trade my 04 black forks for a set of 04 gold. Check it out. PM me if interested.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66535

·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Re: have you even sat on it yet?

CONGRATS!!!

It's an awesome machine. I still may splurge...tough to say- the 02 caused me so many friggin problems.. actually, it was really johnny law that caused the problems, but around here a sportbike is like wearing a big bullseye...

Anyhow- good luck with the new wheels. Let me know what you think if you ride it on pavement over 60 farenheit...

r1-superstar said:
Yes I have sat on one. And I'll own one in about a week (should have been last week, but oh well Shit Happens).

Wrist fatigue? It's your riding position that sounds like the problem here for your back as well as your wrists. Your wrist should never, and I repeat "Never" get fatigued while riding.

P.S. No need to swear or get upset. Chill man...................:bandit

·
Super Moderator
21,669 Posts
Glad to see the East Coast getting some '04's. Very nice review.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts