Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll I just got back from a 30 minute ride after work today.

It's about 80 degrees outside today and I noticed more heat coming off the engine than on my 00 R1. I noticed that due to higher compression that this motor heats up much quicker than my last bike did. At stoplights the fan came on after about 30 seconds or so sitting at idle. On my 00' it only came on when it was above 90 or so and sitting in traffic for quite a while.

The I didn't notice any heat in the seat area when riding or sitting at lights, but when I stopped to get my wallet at the store I took the rear seat off and the plastic's in the rear were all pretty warm. I assume when I put on the aftermarket exhaust this will be a little better without the cat...

So those of you that I dissagreed with about the heat issue, sorry I guess it just wasn't hot enough yet.

It's not to the point where it is a pain but I wouldn't want to be on this bike in 100 degree day's. But anything over 95 I take the car or truck for the A/C anyway..... my .02

BTW - My clutch still works GREAT!!!!!

·
Blue is faster!
305 Posts
Now I have an excuse for living in a cloudy, rainy state!!! Yeah I think removing the cat and a Carbon Fiber exhaust will make it just perfect.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It hit 80 here in DC last Friday. Rode her a bit, she heated up and I had the hot ass sytndrome as well!!!!!!!!!

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
R1LOVER said:
We'll I just got back from a 30 minute ride after work today.

It's about 80 degrees outside today and I noticed more heat coming off the engine than on my 00 R1. I noticed that due to higher compression that this motor heats up much quicker than my last bike did. At stoplights the fan came on after about 30 seconds or so sitting at idle. On my 00' it only came on when it was above 90 or so and sitting in traffic for quite a while.

The I didn't notice any heat in the seat area when riding or sitting at lights, but when I stopped to get my wallet at the store I took the rear seat off and the plastic's in the rear were all pretty warm. I assume when I put on the aftermarket exhaust this will be a little better without the cat...

So those of you that I dissagreed with about the heat issue, sorry I guess it just wasn't hot enough yet.

It's not to the point where it is a pain but I wouldn't want to be on this bike in 100 degree day's. But anything over 95 I take the car or truck for the A/C anyway..... my .02

BTW - My clutch still works GREAT!!!!!
:hellobye

BD

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
blowngt said:
It hit 80 here in DC last Friday. Rode her a bit, she heated up and I had the hot ass sytndrome as well!!!!!!!!!
50 degrees here yesterday, hot ass too. We'll see how hot when Summer gets here.:eek:

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: 04 R1 Heat Issue

Big Daddy said:
:hellobye

BD

I knew you were watching.:hellobye

I wonder if the Kawi will have a similar heat issue? don't they have the same high compression that the R1 has? Most of the increased heat is from up front! not really the seat.. I would assume the kawi would have the same issue?? Give me you're .02 - BD

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
I can't confirm or deny what the 10r will be like in terms of heat but my .02 cents worth says the R1's abnormal in town traffic heat is due to the undertail exhaust as its much closer to your body parts and its not exposed to the air as in the past therefore temps are running generally higher..........and don't forget heat rises.

BD

·
RS 250 for the track....
410 Posts
I often swap bikes when riding with my friend that owns a Ducati 996.. I haven't rode an 04 R1 yet..(still waiting for dealer to call me) but the 996 in traffic is a real nut roster in city traffic.. In the summer months it is almost unbearable to ride. This is probably why my friend is so eager to switch rides.. Under tail exhausts cause substantial heat under the butt and upper thigh.. When ridding a 996 at speeds over 55 it not too much of an issue...When riding in cold weather the heat is actually a nice bonus...:thumbup

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
If it actually was the exhaust it would be pretty easy to insulate. However I tend to believe that most of the heat is rather coming from the engine.The more compact a bike gets, the less space is left for hot air to escape/cold air to flow through the bike. All the hot air behind the motor is just pushed up towards the rider.
I recall somebody mentioning that the frame got extremely hot at certain spots what seems to support this theory.

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
With the reduction of overall bodywork from 02,3 and 04 it should have helped just a bit with cooling but perhaps not. Engine heat is one thing but when its felt around the thighs & legs & buttox thats an indication of exhaust heat being the culprit.
Come summer time temps you may hear a lot more on this topic.

BD

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I'll go try next week ;), just got a call from my dealer that the papers for my R1 are in. Bike should arice in a day or two.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again---- The most heat is coming from the engine area.... NOT THE SEAT AREA.... It was warm under the seat when I opened it but the main issue is the engine running much warmer than the 00'. It's great for colder days....... but in the upper 90's it may be too much for my tender a$$.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts