Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
r1-superstar said:
I raised them 8mm and it made a huge difference. The motorcycle feels a lot better and agile.
Were you able to test high speed stability or exiting 2-3rd gear corners on the gas to see what effect it has after such a dramatic change??

BD

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Dramatic change? hmm, mine are down 2cm. I luv it. Made my bike less prone to tankslappers and stabalized the bike lots.

·
R1-Forum
1,628 Posts
r1-superstar:
In experimenting with the 04's handling traits I have raised the forks 5mm, measured below the cap; this of course increased initial turn-in.

As for the steering damper, I have the Ohlins SD173 set towards the lower range (my preference) and the rear ride height has been increased 4mm. So far I'm pleased with the adjustments, however the factory shock appears to fade (rebound circuit) after a period of hard use (15+ laps); I'm preparing to install a YA343 Ohlins rear shock (see related thread) in search of solving that issue, the 4mm shim will be removed as the shock offers ride height adjustment. IMO the factory fork valving is sufficient, alas even with the increased in spring rate for 04' model, I'm replacing them with 1.0k/g springs and will experiment with valving (more to follow on that topic).

So far I have not experienced any ill traits with the above adjustments, of course with the power increase the front wheel is unloaded during hard acceleration, yet the bike retains predictable composure.

Big Daddy:
I prefer my suspension/geometry biased towards rapid initial turn-in; that said I have virtually no complaints with the above setup, please note I have not ridden on the above changes with the factory damper, although it’s unlikely that bike wouldn’t retain it’s composure; as delivered from Yamaha it’s quite a capable package. As mentioned above, my only complaint was specific to the rebound circuit on the factory shock (i.e. fade/wallowing after prolonged/aggressive use).

Thanks!

·
Dark Horse
3,075 Posts
VPREATR, you raised the forks 5mm, shimmed the rear 4mm and noticed no rear traction loss? How much do you weigh and what other suspension settings (preload, compression, rebounding) are you using (if you haven't already posted them)?

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: '04 R1, I Raised The Fork Tubes.

Big Daddy said:
Were you able to test high speed stability or exiting 2-3rd gear corners on the gas to see what effect it has after such a dramatic change??

BD
Good to go! :thumbup I had 10mm on my '02, she needed every mm of it.:yesnod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts