Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
R1
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any notice in the European keys are red and thick up top?
I two dinky key, did the my dealer rip me off or everyone got the same thing i got?:mad:

·
Registered
102 Posts
the red keys are for a factory yamaha anti theft device that we dont get over here. works just like our automotive keys that have little chips in them. Without the correctly programmed key the bike wont start. I think most all of their new bikes get it (honda,kawi,yamaha,etc)

·
R1
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: key

Rattler63 said:
You should have got three keys two black and one red key which is the re-registering key:fact
Rattler63

Are you serious? Should I've gotten three keys? I only got two.

·
mmmm. excellent.
1,325 Posts
None of the new street machines I've purchased have had three keys, all have been delivered with two. I think this three key thing is a canadian/european thing.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
I've never received three keys either with any new bike purchase. My 04 came with two black plastic top keys and a key # tag

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Eyespy said:
I've never received three keys either with any new bike purchase. My 04 came with two black plastic top keys and a key # tag
This is the correct way in which all US bikes are delivered :fact

·
Camshaft
283 Posts
:dunno A Canadian thing?:confused: I picked mine up in the crate and put it together in my garage. The keys were wrapped up in a little box inside a larger box with mirrors and windshield. I only recieved two keys and the ID tag. No one could have tampered with mine during shiping/dealer. Hope this helps you sleep at night. Ha Ha. Cheers:thumbup

·
R1
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cameron Watts said:
:dunno A Canadian thing?:confused: I picked mine up in the crate and put it together in my garage. The keys were wrapped up in a little box inside a larger box with mirrors and windshield. I only recieved two keys and the ID tag. No one could have tampered with mine during shiping/dealer. Hope this helps you sleep at night. Ha Ha. Cheers:thumbup

Thanks...Now i could get a good night sleep.

Hmm....anyone think the European key will fit U.S. models?

·
Registered
236 Posts
How come the US dont get those anti-theft devices? The manufactures doesnt think we get our bikes stolen over here?? I think that added feature of the keys would be a nice deterant to have. Just my thought.

·
---------------
49 Posts
I just bought my 04 r1 I am a motorcycle mechanic the dealer I bought it from let me uncrate it and put it together because I used to work there .It definetly only comes with two keys ,took them out of the package myself.

·
Loving it!
92 Posts
SpoonEvo said:
Anyone pick up their 04's? and if so how many keys do you have?

I only got 2 keys 2 little dinky keys. What is the 3rd key for, and why did some people get them and others didn't? WTF?

:fork

·
Registered
57 Posts
r1stunta said:
How come the US dont get those anti-theft devices? The manufactures doesnt think we get our bikes stolen over here?? I think that added feature of the keys would be a nice deterant to have. Just my thought.
Im glad we dont, most bikes are picked up and stolen anyways. That key would cost you out the ying yang if it had that anti theft chip in it. I have a 99 mustang and it costs 130 dollars to get one key made because it has this crappy chip and it doesnt stop a thief at all.

·
R1
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I could care less about having a chip in my key. If someone really wants your bike they will take it, one way or anthoer.

I just want big fat handle on the key like the one i saw on the euorpeans commercials. Looks a lot hotter and not easily misplaced.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts