Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't have enough cash for both at first so what's the first mod to get?

1. Ohlins damper - better stability

2. Slip-On - better sound

It would be a no-brainer for the damper (don't want to wreck the beauty from a slapper) but it really depends on how well the stock damper will get us by.

So '04 R1 owners - what do ya think of the stock damper? Replace it right away or does it do a good enough job to be looked over for the spring season?

K

·
0 Posts
from the reviews ive read, the testers could not gt the new r1 to shake its head, so i think you should be fine for now

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I thought about that the other day. Bike already has enough power. Why start off buying a exhaust system. First thing I would get for $1600 that would be spent on a system would be. Ohlins rear shock $800,Brembo Radial calipers $500,Braided lines,frame sliders and exhaust wrap insulation so you don't burn your ass off. Oh and rear sets to adjust your riding position.

·
see you at the races and ride
3,906 Posts
Lestat77 said:
I thought about that the other day. Bike already has enough power. Why start off buying a exhaust system. First thing I would get for $1600 that would be spent on a system would be. Ohlins rear shock $800,Brembo Radial calipers $500,Braided lines,frame sliders and exhaust wrap insulation so you don't burn your ass off. Oh and rear sets to adjust your riding position.
I would just ride it for a while, yank the fender,put on some micro arrows and then maybe get a slip-on. Never wrap titanium as that is a sure way to destroy the pipe, if you want or need to cover them have them ceramic coated inside and out.

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LDHR1 said:
I would just ride it for a while, yank the fender,put on some micro arrows and then maybe get a slip-on. Never wrap titanium as that is a sure way to destroy the pipe, if you want or need to cover them have them ceramic coated inside and out.
What are 'micro arrows'?

·
Moving Chicane
782 Posts
Definately ride it first to see what you think of it. One guys opinion on stability will not match another guys since it depends on what you like and what you are use to.

Best example was the MCN guys said it works better than Honda's new electronic one, while the MO guys says the Honda's damper was better than the Yam's. Go figure.

·
R1 2FEAR
612 Posts
I have yet to have any stability problems with mine having riden over 400 miles so far however i am not claiming to have pushed the bike very hard it feels rock solid so far. and concerning power when you get your 04 you will realize that the money spent on slipons will be spent for looks,you wont need more power the first guy that says he does must be some kind of hero

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
Slip-on.

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DUFFMAN said:
I have yet to have any stability problems with mine having riden over 400 miles so far however i am not claiming to have pushed the bike very hard it feels rock solid so far. and concerning power when you get your 04 you will realize that the money spent on slipons will be spent for looks,you wont need more power the first guy that says he does must be some kind of hero
I'll see how it sounds first. The only reason I would buy Slip-Ons would be for sound sand looks 'cause I won't need more power. It'll be plenty as is - moving up from my 600.

·
I should be riding
628 Posts
afabbrin said:
I

It would be a no-brainer for the damper (don't want to wreck the beauty from a slapper) but it really depends on how well the stock damper will get us by.

If damper or slip-on was your only 2 choices, I think you've already answered your own question.

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GXRKLR said:
Braided lines
frame sliders
16 tooth front sprocket.
That's a good point. I am planning to drop a tooth off the front for sure. And that's cheap with OEM sprockets. And the sliders too.

The braided lines are really that noticable?

·
We All Crave More POWER
321 Posts
The bike us awesome as it is so your first upgrade should be leathers. If you already have leathers then buy a high quality digital camera and software and take many photos.:thumbup

·
Beeeeeer!
9,542 Posts
afabbrin said:
That's a good point. I am planning to drop a tooth off the front for sure. And that's cheap with OEM sprockets. And the sliders too.

The braided lines are really that noticable?
My brother and I have identical bikes except mine has braided lines. I could not tell much difference after putting them on. But to jump from one bike to the other it is night and day.

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GXRKLR said:
My brother and I have identical bikes except mine has braided lines. I could not tell much difference after putting them on. But to jump from one bike to the other it is night and day.
Will I want to have my dealer install the lines? Tricky to keep the air out of the system?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Lestat77 said:
why the hell would you buy that shit for a street bike....I know a little bling is good but seriously......spend the money on something that you can get your money back out of when you go to sell it.....

If I was in your situation I would just throw a slip on on it and chop the gay fender off and maybe some flush mounts and call it a day. No need to get all fancy spancy unless you plan on racing it

·
Beeeeeer!
9,542 Posts
afabbrin said:
Will I want to have my dealer install the lines? Tricky to keep the air out of the system?
For me it was time consuming. even if you have no mechanical skill or knowledge you should be able ot do it in an afternoon.

I only did the front, I prefer the back a little spongy.

·
ShInYSiDe <VS> RuBBeRSiDe
1,334 Posts
Slip on... Gotta have some R1 Lovin SOUND... MUSIC to thine EARS!

Stock Damper is GOOD ENOUGH for now.. weve been used to NO damper for years...
My how easy we get spoiled ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts