Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this r1 recently. right from the test ride the bike very lighty goes to the right.

previous owner never maintain the chain so I thought rear wheels is off track.

The bike has never been drop, clean title. looked everywhere. not a scratch on(besides a small one on the side fairing but doesnt look like from a drop. its one line scratch.)
bike doesnt even have sliders or anything.

anyways so I tried to set up my suspension and align the rear wheel after cleaning the chain.

everything lined up/measured up and while its not as bad. its still there.

the only thing i noticed is the left side of the rear tire is showing more wear than the right.which im guesing from the chain not being maintained and the rear tire being missaligned?( i plan to replace this next)

with that said is this a tire problem?
if the left tire has more wear than the right wouldnt the bike lean to the left? but instead its leaning towards the right which have more traction.

the front tire looks brand new. I have also loosen the axle and locker? nut(4) and bounce the suspension a bit to get everything ligned up then I tightened it.

what do you guys think? anything else I can check or fix? tires is next but since its about $200+ for tires and mount/balance to rim it would have to wait a bit.

· WOG
6,093 Posts
Very well could be tire wear issue. The left side will have more wear than the right with normal riding, because as our forum jack ass (jk:hammer: he knows his stuff) said, the roads crown to the right.

· ROWDY
12,219 Posts
but that would be enough to get the tire to be this uneven? see attachment.

also are you refering to this crowned as the cause for the bike to veer right a bit?
if so i dont think thats the case as my old bikes didnt do this.
Looks to me as if the previous owner had a lot of left curves on his route. the wear is not in the full up postion.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What size tire is that???:lol
diablo... super sport i think as I see no marking for corsa.

either way they will get swap for 2ct. or corsa 3 which ever i get a better deal when i get the funds.

Looks to me as if the previous owner had a lot of left curves on his route. the wear is not in the full up postion.
i thought about that but never seen that much difference in wear. the left side is practically done but the right has plenty of life left.

he was also riding around at 12 psi of pressure.(thats where it was at when i got it....:icon_rolleyes:

When you did the front wheel alignment, did you loosen the lower triple bolts too?
i did not. I did not see that on the instruction online.

theres 3 places that holds the suspension up front right? bottom middle and top? so I need to loosen all three or just the bottom and middle?

· I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,912 Posts
i did not. I did not see that on the instruction online.

theres 3 places that holds the suspension up front right? bottom middle and top? so I need to loosen all three or just the bottom and middle?

Top is the only one you don't touch, even loosen the fender bolts.

Here's a video, bit long, it's the first one that came up but it seems to cover all the bases.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.