Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Let's Ride!
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all lucky 04 R1 owners out there, what temperature range does your engine see in traffic? Mine got over 200 degrees at a red light and cooled to 165-175 once I started moving again. Air temperature was in the low 60s and I only have 200 miles on her right now (it's been raining). Is this temp range normal?

·
Let's Ride!
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks LQUDR1,
Actually, I meant it got over 300 but it hasn't happend since. I was flogging it a bit prior to that so that must be why. My R6 never got over 280.

·
Let's Ride!
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, the manual says to shut it down if it gets over 280. I'm beginning to think that maybe I read it wrong because It hasn't even got close to 300 after that. Plus, my visor was fogged a little while I was at the light.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For me it has stayed in the 200-230 range for street and in the freeway is crusiese at 163. Much cooler than my old R6. It does gwet a little warm on the seat though oith those pipes so close.

·
Until it sleeps
5,432 Posts
ive seen 236 after getting stuck in traffic in a 100º+ day. But thats also cuz my fan never came on...Usually i never see above 220 and going above 210 is rare. Though I do have a 99

·
Ride Safe Mofos, I mean it.
1,957 Posts
The fan should come on 221 anything above might indicate that there might be a cooling problem.

·
Super Moderator
21,686 Posts
Joey said:
Holy Crap! What are you guys riding on, diesel?
My bike(s) never went over 230.
Same here. :iamwithst My fan always kicks on when it gets up
into the 210's.

·
R1 = Damn good fun!
2 Posts
Temp range

My cooling fans kick in around 220, which brings it back down under 200. However, I'm want to rig a manual switch like I did for my V Max which allows me to kick the fans on before it gets that hot. Anyone know where the thermoswitch for the cooling fans is located?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If I am cruising on a warm day in SoCal (ive had my bike less then 48 hours though, hah. 350 miles on it now), I am about 180. When I was in between lights it went up to like 232-234, but the fan was on and it broght ib ack down into the 200-215 range, then it went up, brought it down, etc.

I did notice this bike runs hotter then my 03 gsx-r 1000 in general. I dont remember seeing my gixxer in the 215+ range all the time. But its not bad, its fine so long as that fan still works.

·
Woo Hoo
544 Posts
I've never seen mine get over 228F when idling & stuck in traffic. When moving it's 170F-195F. (About 95F ambient temp outside).

·
pimp'n aint easy
167 Posts
fan kicks on at 219. Never got higher than 230. It's been in the 80's pretty much every day here. If you are concerned about temp put in some water wetter. Don't know if Yamaha recomends this or not.

·
Registered
129 Posts
2004liquidr1 said:
fan kicks on at 219. Never got higher than 230. It's been in the 80's pretty much every day here. If you are concerned about temp put in some water wetter. Don't know if Yamaha recomends this or not.
Sitting in traffic though? I was stuck in rush hour and temp was around 230, started to white line for a little to get the temp down. If the fans coming on at around 219 what are the cooling effects of having the fans. Can you tell that the fans are cooling when they come on? It appears to me that the only significant changes in temperature occure while moving. I might be wrong though, any insight?

·
Registered
371 Posts
With ambient temps in the 70's I've been seening the 160's on the highway and mildly curvy roads. It will climb up to the 190's if I am on the throttle a lot, but will cool back to the 160's as soon as I am cruising at highway speeds again. I've seen a little over 210 once or twice in heavy traffic.

·
Live the dream!
236 Posts
Both the MV and the '04 reach in the 210 to 230 range after about 5 minutes in stop go traffic, and the temps are in the high 90s to 100 range. Manual stays those temps are well within normal.

On thing I've noticed on the MV is that if I go to a high gear, drop the rpms to 2,000 rpm, and then go to wide, open throttle, the incoming air is cool enough to immediately drop the coolant temperations by 5 degrees. If I do it a few time, I can drop the temperation from 200 degrees to about 185. I've have a change to play with the '04 to see how well that trick works though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts