Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today I talked to one of the dealerships here in the minneapolis area and they said they are getting 7 r1's for the whole year, other dealerships have said the same thing. I think this is all a bunch of bs. Why would Yamaha spend all the money on developing a new bike and then barely make any of them to sell? This goes against total logic. I read somewhere that r1 sales have gone up 300 % since they first came out, if this is one of their big money makers why would they hardly produce any?

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,936 Posts
Dealers get allocated bikes by Yamaha based on a few factors .... once a dealer gets its allocation, they are done for the year. My dealer is getting 4 this year... I have one, a blue and red are pre-sold, the other is a ?.

Usually once a dealer sells their bikes the only way they can get new ones is to work something out with another dealership...

It's not bs, it's the Yamaha way...

·
No, you can't ride it
603 Posts
Dude, try Larson's up in CAmbridge about an hour away from Minnetonka depending..... They are a large dealership and are selling their R1's for 9999!!!:D Not sure if they have any left, but I would call them.:thumbup

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Larson's. Talked to them today. The first few (coming soon) are taken but I know they have a second shipment coming in later March or early April. One of those may still be open. Ask for Jason Larson - he's pretty cool guy.

btw - They also have a new '03 Black/Flames R1 for $7999 - over-the-phone quote.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
if this is one of their big money makers why would they hardly produce any?
... maybe because the sell them also in the rest of the world? ;)
U.S. is a relatively small market for bikes, keep that in mind. They will be producing full steam, but they cannot produce in a short period for the demand of a whole world. So new bikes are getting in in "drops".

·
I am allergic to stupidity!
268 Posts
Don't forget they create a supply/demand effect. Sorta like Michael Jordan Brand producing limited numbers. People are more apt to run out and get them so that they can have a pair. it is a great marketing scheme. Also you don't over-produce because that is bad also.

·
seen 155 want more?
71 Posts
The other thing to consider about the "limited numbers" is that the production run may be shorter this year. Especially compared to a year where its basically a carryover model where they have the whole year for production.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
larson cycle is the dealership I talked in regards to the number of bikes their getting, and their even selling them for 9899.00. which doesn't make sense since they are so high demand.
I still think there will be more bikes in the middle of summer. I could be wrong but goes against logic to me:dunno

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
r6fastkat2323 said:
and their even selling them for 9899.00. which doesn't make sense since they are so high demand.
That's why they :rock. Tousley won't budge on their '03 R1. They are still asking $9999 for that thing!! And some door knob will walk in and buy it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yamaha is only making what people order. The dealers are not buying a set amount to stock in their inventory this year. You must place an order with a deposit and then they make the bike. They are trying to keep the bike as a limited production.

Don't expect to go to dealerships and see the bikes for sale too often.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,974 Posts
Yall keep believing this BS..

Yamaha is a company, and just like any other company in the free trade world makes money by selling its products. The more they sell the better their business does.

Demand for the bike is high right now, so you are going to hear the greatest lies and rumors ever told. I just read alot of them on this page. What dealership do you know of that can survive selling 4 bikes, or 7 bikes of one model for the whole calendar year?? At most these dealers make about $1,500 profit off each bike sale. Thats barely enough to pay the overhead for running the shop that one day when you count lease, insurance, employee salaries, taxes and other shyt.

Dealers are going to tell you anything right now to get you to place a deposit down, and pay MSRP or better. Yamaha has only sold more and more R1's each calender year, and with this bike being the best performing best looking R1.. the 04 R1 is probably going to be the best selling R1 of all time.

Once the initial rush is over, there will be plenty of 04 R1's for everybody. And plenty available for less than MSRP.

If you got the bucks to buy now, somebody will find a way to sell you the 04 R1. If you dont have the bucks now, or want the best deal then you just have to be patient. Remember the press release WAS JUST ONE WEEK ago for this bike.

Dont fall for the hype.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,864 Posts
:iamwithst

As long as they can sell them, they will make more... A dealer won't make much $$ selling 4 bikes in a year...

- BA

·
Lock & Load
1,395 Posts
I bet by May or so there wiil be plenty of 04's at all dealers. :fact
I have called and the dealers say the same thing "better put some money down" I tell them I am not going to buy a new bike until ALL the new model 1000's come in and they seem dumbfounded. Of course I will be buying the R1.
They seem to forget that there is going to be compitition

·
Registered
91 Posts
If my opinion means anything:dunno I believe for 04 Yamaha is not going to flood the market with R1's. Maybe they are thinking Less is better, The R1 will be more in demand :yesnod

·
Registered
91 Posts
bpa00 said:
:iamwithst

As long as they can sell them, they will make more... A dealer won't make much $$ selling 4 bikes in a year...

- BA
Something that I know for certain.. The SportBike market for Yamaha and all the other manufacturer's is a very small percentage of their overall sales.. Cruiser's and Quads etc. etc. make up most of the market.. Lets not forget Dirt Bikes..

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,974 Posts
Something I know for certain..

last year the R1 was the number one selling bike by Yamaha..

dont take my word for it.. go look it up..

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,936 Posts
You guys are right... I must be stupid to think that Yamaha doesn't give dealers whatever they want. When the 02's came out and sold quickly, dealers didn't have them to sell because of sheer incompetance, Yamaha had warehouses full of R1's just begging for dealers to get them and sell them.

:bs

The truth is out there....

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
RUFFSTUFF said:
You guys are right... I must be stupid to think that Yamaha doesn't give dealers whatever they want. When the 02's came out and sold quickly, dealers didn't have them to sell because of sheer incompetance, Yamaha had warehouses full of R1's just begging for dealers to get them and sell them.

:bs

The truth is out there....
All dealers have a blank sheet and a number of motorcycles to bring in. It almost looks like a graph. (A month-to-month graph).

The sales mgr/owner must decide when and how many units to bring in (depending on how high up the todem pole they sit, some dealers have 30 units and others 2). They can only bring in what the manufacturer is allowing. There are also "black-out" times when the dealer can't bring anything in (depends on model too).

So this is why you see motorcycles you thought were sold out in the fall and carried over until the next year.

So all this "the dealer said, or I heard this" is :bs This is the truth, let it be known. :lol

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Hey RuffStuff, is your 04 blue? I am curious because I have #167 and it is. I was trying to figure out if there is a method to the numbering. Thanks man.

Josh

1 - 20 of 43 Posts