Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, its been a while since iv beenon here. sold the bikes and paid off some school stuff.. just recently picked up another 2004 R1.

about the bike : 04 r1, full graves exhaust, V-stacks, PC3. just under 15xxx miles.

work done: fresh oil change 20 miles on it, plugs- unknown, valves checks by shop right before i picked up the bike, i have the receipts.

ok so my issue was when first riding, takign off from a stop, it would stall tryign to feather the clutch out, sometihng was off, it was ifling like a big block with cams.. really uneven. the idle was set to 900, i adjusted it back, i found that i like the way the bike responded if its slightly igher then rec. in the manual, so its now sitting at maybe just a tick above 1500 when warm. thats ficed the stalling but that didtn fix the uneven idle.

pulled codes and got lean angle sensor, intake press sensor, battery and sidestand. respectable since the kid before me did drop the bike but never cleared them out.

next issue, the power commander was plugged in but not corrrected correctly groudn wire was never attached. put that back together and kinda fixed the idle but not much. changed the map over to the graves map from the pc website.

im suspecting maybe plugs i jsut havent had time to check but my main reason for posting is what is the norman function of a pc when the bike is turned on. sounds stupid but when power mine up, it scrolls from bottom to top but then just sits at the half way mark and doesnt move with throttle input.
has anyone had a pad power commander? and can someone describe the correct function of how its suppose to work. iv have them on other bikes and i did install this correctly but i just want to make sure that this is not a PC issue. and yes, the idle doesnt change whether it is connected or not.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the tps read in Diag 01 18 and hit every number until 97.

first thought was an issue with the throttle position on the power commander itself so i reset that. it was set to some value like 6xxx, after the reset it was at 0% reading 1440 and bouncing a few points either was when the bike was running

is there anythign else i am missing. i feel like i covered and looked at most common problems. what else should i check

· WOG
6,093 Posts
Did you check resistance while the bike was hot??? Also I'd unplug the PC so I could eliminate that as a possibility.

And it wouldn't hurt to throw fresh plugs in.:lol

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just want to clearify,,,, when you say check resistance when hot, do u mean while the bike is running, or bike off but at operating temp

as far as the PC, i did try both with no change. i only had it hooked up to change the map and see what the throttle position was set for ont he PC3 itself.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would the trim settings have any affect on idle. C1 and C4 are set to +2%

i know plugs but to be honest im tryin to rule everythign else out first before i do that lol.. im just being a little lazy with that right now haha

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
ok,, give me a day or 2 and ill get the plugs done... I just rememberthat with my 05 gsxr 750, the PC3 would move up and down acording to throttle input. im jsut a little nervous that its bum unit. but again i wont kow untill i do the plugs. so it could be a possibility of bad gas and bad plugs?? ill pull them and get back on here and post what i find their condition to be.

i do want to learn more about the pc software and stuff with that.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey so heres an update... new plugs fixed the idle and chattering when letting out the clutch. runs much better but did not fix the surging idle. when between 3-5k rpm, holdign it steady the rpms with surge hard 500-1k in either direction. happens whether in gear or in neutral, moving or rolling, doesnt matter but he surge is there at those rpms, after 5k it goes away any ideas?

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ok ill try that and post back. give me a day or 2

for whats its worth though, ill post up a picure of the plugs but they were extremely worn out but looked white, as if it was running lean..

just to add other things that i checked while doing the plugs.. i pulled the airbox and looked for vaccum leaks- none, made sure the graves v-stacks were tightened down, check the 4 throttle body clamps and all were tight. everything looks just like it did on my other 3 r1's that i had. all were 04 05.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey sorry for the long delay. i just wanted to post back reguarind the issue i was having. well its completely gone and everythign is runnign smooth. i changedplugs which helped the most. the map on the power commander was prob not the right one and old gas. i ran through abotu 4 full tanks and noticed everythign is running perect. thanks again Spanega SS for the tips.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
for anyone following this post, so i was able to take the bike out maybe 15 times since the last post due to work schedules and classes. so im not new to R1, this is my 4th 04-06 R1. never had this problem, my second bike had the saem exact upgrades and i can not recall having this issue. mods: graves slipons, V stacks, PC3, K&N filter.
bike started to buck after i put it down from a wheelie in 2nd gear about about 90-100, on the decel i let it hit 70mph and easly rolled back on, at like 7500 rpms it started to buck like someone was chopping the throttle quickly, it upset the bike enough so i sat up. got it home and the same idle issue is back. idn what else to look at. I though i had this gremlin beat but its coming back lol. . any suggestions at all.

so plugs are new, maybe 100, 200 miles on the, cleaned ait filter, no cracked hoses/ait leaks, fresh gas at 93octane, the TPS checked out via multimeter and through PC3 software- PC3 was reset at full closed position and full open position, downloaded the correct map and uploaded it correctly.
is there any suggestions or things that i may have over looked????? any input would be awesome. I just want to ride this bike and ride hard the way its suppose to. im kinda skeptical about taking this to the track again with this issue.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so i got fed up and tore the whole bike down looking for cut wires or anything like that. also pulled the plugs and looked ok for wear since there were only a dew months old.

long story short, i checked the numbers on all the ignition coils, primary shoudl be 1.19-1.61 secondary should be 8.5-1.5
primary secondary
C1 1.6 11.02
C2 2.6 26.53 ********** im going to order new and post back with updates.
C3 1.6 10.53
C4 1.5 10.89

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.