Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· LET'S RIDE.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 04 R1 and im worried about the light front end. i was thinking a 2 inch entension should be enough to put more weight on the front end and less chance of it coming up... i wont be racing, doing wheelies or burn outs.i cant ride the bike for a few more months so was thinking about putting a set on.. any suggestions?

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
:corn

· LET'S RIDE.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i dont race. i bought it from a friend and he stood it up at 80 cracking the throttle. i dont ride dangerous anymore and im definatly not prepared for that. with a passenger, its gonna be even lighter.. i only bought it because it was a great deal.

· LET'S RIDE.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i really dont know the gearing. as far as i know, its a 2004 stock R1. iv read alot of reviews on it and iv talked to different people and they all say its really light front end. so normal riding, the front end wont come up? im nervous to open it up incase it does comes up. i had a bike wreck in 96 and this is the first real bike iv owned since it happened and i guess im kinda gun shy. i hit a car broad side. not my fault..

· Luccckkkkkeeeeey!
250 Posts
Yeah I don't agree with that at all, it's not that light of a front end. I haul ass on mine and I clutch the front end up when I want it up...That's it.

Post up some pics man, we can check it out!

If you don't plan on pegging the throttle every time you launch it from a stop light then you have nothing to worry about.

· Super Moderator
22,568 Posts
Suggestion, learn how to ride the bike as is. You don't need extensions at all. Are you a drag racer?
:stpd:

It's all about throttle control. Respect it and you'll be fine.

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Just riding around town and what not I see no need for extensions... The front end isn't that light and honestly I've had very very few issues with the front end coming up under throttle. Hell, I'm even geared -1 in the front... The absolute only way I could see your friend standing the bike up at 80 would be if he was in first gear and close the throttle and quickly crack it back open full... That's the only way I can see the front wheel coming up... Aside from the obvious clutch up

· Registered
1,687 Posts
I don't know what you guys are doing but my front end comes up fairly easy. I can't completely open the throttle without feeling it leave the ground.

On a side note, I couldn't lock my bike inside today so I took it out in the 27 degree weather and I fishtailed/ drifted through an intersection when I tried to hurry through a yellow light. Be careful with rapid acceleration when it's cold. If you extend your swingarm you'll feel more confident dumping the throttle open and you might have your tire break loose more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.