Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
'01 Gixxer 1000 to '04 R1
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys think about the R1 compared to the other "big boys".
There is a big weight difference, think the R1 can beat them?

P.S. i think so! :jump :scared :fork

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
Re: '04 R1 vs Busa vs ZX-10

Mazzella04R1 said:
I was wondering what you guys think about the R1 compared to the other "big boys".

I believe that it will too. But they are all limited to 185 mph.

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all on how fast you get it there.

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
Mazzella04R1 said:
It's all on how fast you get it there.
Yep, and the ZX-12R is kinda slow.

The pre 04' R1 is as fast as the Busa in fourth and top gear roll-ons but when that Busa hits, it's gone. So it will be interesting to see what 04' R1 will do.

Plus remember, those bikes have about 200 more cc.

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
This is R1 Country :rock :rock :rock

·
Canadian Drinking Team
1,771 Posts
Who cares about top speed... the R1 handles a billion times better than either of those other two. Come to think of it, I've never seen a 'busa or a ZX-12 at a track day.

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
r1-superstar said:
Yep, and the ZX-12R is kinda slow.

The pre 04' R1 is as fast as the Busa in fourth and top gear roll-ons but when that Busa hits, it's gone. So it will be interesting to see what 04' R1 will do.

Plus remember, those bikes have about 200 more cc.
And take into consideration that those bikes are 100+ lbs. more. That's like riding your girlfriend.

·
Double Trouble
247 Posts
Mazzella04R1 said:

Define the word "beat"
If you're talking at the the track than, hell yeah 7 days a week.
If you're talking about all day (read: 150+ miles) riding than no.
If your talking about 1/4 mile than it would be tough because its probably easier to launch a Busa or ZX-12R at the track with the added weight. Your talking about just about the same HP but with 100 less pounds. The big boys will probably win the 60ft race every time because you can launch them harder and they'll be less wheelie prone. It will be after second gear when you can walk the big boys down with the 100lbs. advantage.
Top speed (if they were ungoverned) would depend more on aerodynamics and gearing than actual power to the wheel.

But you're comparing two totally different bikes that would never compete against each other unless its just some average joes at the local track. Then it will probably be up to which ever one can keep the front wheel on the ground on the launch.

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
R6 Matt said:
Who cares about top speed... the R1 handles a billion times better than either of those other two. Come to think of it, I've never seen a 'busa or a ZX-12 at a track day.

Here in Ohio drag strips are full of slammed busas and 12's that run about 9:80!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have ridden my 12 at the track and just took the 1 for the first time to the track. There is no comparison on the track. The 1 just kills it but in a straight line it would be tight, and as far as the 12 being slow you have obviously never ridden one.

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
fly zx12 said:
I have ridden my 12 at the track and just took the 1 for the first time to the track. There is no comparison on the track. The 1 just kills it but in a straight line it would be tight, and as far as the 12 being slow you have obviously never ridden one.
You are wrong here. Because indeed I have ridden one, one from the UK. I also raced it with my 02' and beat it. Then changed riders and the ZX-12R still lost.:fact

Sorry man, it's not that quick.

·
Double Trouble
247 Posts
r1-superstar said:
You are wrong here. Because indeed I have ridden one, one from the UK. I also raced it with my 02' and beat it. Then changed riders and the ZX-12R still lost.:fact

Sorry man, it's not that quick.
You do realize that currently the ZX-12R is the second fastest bike in the 1/4 mile right? You might have beat one with your '02 w/ a few mods but if you added those few mods to the 12 it would be faster. Stock for stock its faster and moded its faster, there is no question about it.

·
Lock & Load
1,430 Posts
I hope the "one" can beat the Busa. My buddy has a busa and on my 02 we would be even until about 120-30 and then he would start to pull me. I would like to put an end to that!!!!

Get a jump on him so he can't catch me :yesnod

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
Concept said:
You do realize that currently the ZX-12R is the second fastest bike in the 1/4 mile right? You might have beat one with your '02 w/ a few mods but if you added those few mods to the 12 it would be faster. Stock for stock its faster and moded its faster, there is no question about it.
I do realize that but, if you read my posts, I mentioned "roll-ons!" Both bikes were equally modded.

Perhaps I was unclear, sorry if I was.

·
PWN3R
1,396 Posts
they all go 185 but when u take the limiter off they go above that :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
There is really no competition here...

The R1 would take the 12 or bussa, in almost every category.

and now, even in speed.

I have an 02 R1, and my friend has a Bussa, and in 98% of canyon riding and even freeway.. I can keep up NO PROBLEM...
Canyons, I'm gone.. no competition...

Drag, the busa may be a bit faster... but now with the new R1..

fogerabouri.....

·
Double Trouble
247 Posts
r1-superstar said:
I do realize that but, if you read my posts, I mentioned "roll-ons!" Both bikes were equally modded.

Perhaps I was unclear, sorry if I was.
Yeah you were a little unclear because no where in

"Because indeed I have ridden one, one from the UK. I also raced it with my 02' and beat it. Then changed riders and the ZX-12R still lost..."

did it mention that you were talking about roll-ons.

·
Double Trouble
247 Posts
yamaR1 said:
...Drag, the busa may be a bit faster... but now with the new R1...
The Busa and 12 may still be faster in the 1/4 mile simply because you can launch them harder than you can a R1. Launch a Busa a 4k rpm and you may raise the front wheel a few inches, launch the new "One" thats 100lbs lighter at 4k rpm and you might get a nice view of the clouds.

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
Concept said:
Yeah you were a little unclear because no where in

"Because indeed I have ridden one, one from the UK. I also raced it with my 02' and beat it. Then changed riders and the ZX-12R still lost..."

did it mention that you were talking about roll-ons.
Thanks...........................db:thumbup :beer

1 - 20 of 240 Posts