Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

04 R1 will not start, need help please

781 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  milheim05 
#1 ·
New to the bike world help is needed!!I purchased a battery from auto I was riding one day and begin to smell a egg smell. Bikes rpms top out and bike shuts off, I get out and see steam coming from batter. Had to push it home(r1) Tried to start it wasn’t making any noise when trying to start. Couldn’t figure it out. Bought a Rec/Stator still nothing no turn over nothing. Then I find what I thought was the issue. The starter Relay. The fuses where good but What I couldn’t see was the walls where those fuses sit, one side was burnt but the fuses sat in place looking like nothing was wrong. So I replace that. Now the bike is trying to turn over but still nothing. But when I attempt the start the bike I see gas sitting on top of the carburetors Closes to the stator side. I’m not a mechanic but I try what I can. If someone could help, please. I’m thinking maybe it was a cheap battery but I tested it and it reads 12.1-12.3 volts. But On my battery charger the battery never reaches 100% charge stops at 95%. Oh and I took the starter out and jumped it and it worked.

#4 ·
Yea I am. I guess I didn’t think the battery went bad that fast, I had just purchased it. I jumped started the battery off my car and it still wouldnt crank but that battery read 14v on the bikes battery from off my car. Guess I’ll have to buy another one. What reason would my gas be showing inside of the carburetor?

#6 ·
thanks for the replies..I purchased a battery, the battery before was weak. But it’s still not starting, I don’t know what to check next. Even took a screw driver to the starter relay to see If it’s starts, NOTHING! I get spark from the relay when I touch the terminals but that’s it. Now I notice when I turn my key to On, my power commander isn’t lighting up. Lights on the dash work and u hear fuel pump cycling. It’s just not starting.

#7 ·
thanks for the replies..I purchased a battery, the battery before was weak. But it’s still not starting, I don’t know what to check next. Even took a screw driver to the starter relay to see If it’s starts, NOTHING! I get spark from the relay when I touch the terminals but that’s it. Now I notice when I turn my key to On, my power commander isn’t lighting up. Lights on the dash work and u hear fuel pump cycling. It’s just not starting.
Remove PC and see what happens

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.