Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
R1 2FEAR
612 Posts
Re: Re: Re: '04 R1

RedDog said:
So how do you like it? Thanks for posting that picture. Looks very good!
Ya man I love it even more than I thought I would.I expected it to be really fast but when I ride I feel very comfy controlling it more like a bike you have been on for years.It does exactly what you ask it to and feels soooooo smooth and solid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Re: Re: '04 R1

DUFFMAN said:
Ya man I love it even more than I thought I would.I expected it to be really fast but when I ride I feel very comfy controlling it more like a bike you have been on for years.It does exactly what you ask it to and feels soooooo smooth and solid.
Thanks for your quick reply. I am still amazed that they are on the streets before being tested and not "reported" in the magazines.
I may have missed something, but I have not seen one solid test in any of the magazines available here.

But, we just got wind that a buddy of ours in MSSR (Memphis) got one too.

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
dude, its not like theres a search button or a post intitled "General Motorcycle Discusion" (guess that was the "knowledge of the universe") all he had to do is look a little. No hard feelings though. :hellobye

DUFFMAN said:
maybe if you look you would notice he is new and maybe he lacks your superior knowledge of the universe.
:lol YES, I AM ALL MIGHTY WITH THE MOUSE BUTTON CLICKER! :lol

·
Invisus, Inauditus, Intimidus
116 Posts
Got mine

I puchased a silver one three weeks ago. I used to have an older FZR1000 which I thought was a beast, but wow, does this bike have the torque and the pull. It's the only bike that really intimidates me. You have to really respect the power of this bike. It's very slim and light, feels more like a 600 in weight, but stays in the corners like it's on rails. With the compression and light flywheel, you mailny use the engine to slow you down when heading into the conerners, however if you need to brake, the bike's brakes are great, and they keep you leaned, not standing the bike up when applied. Won't ever sell this one!!

·
R.I.P. `ROCK`
119 Posts
I got mine in Blue about one week ago. I was waiting for silver but did not have the patience to wait another 4-6 weeks. i love this bike. Under 6 grand on the tac, it seems very docile. Since I have not broken her in, i really can't tell you what she's like above 7. the bike seems to pull very hard through the 6 grand mark.

The seating position is great. I am only 5 '6 - 165. The bike is very roomy and seems to be agile. It acutally feels lighter than my 03 954, which in essense, weighed a lot less.

The ride is harsh! I need to get the suspension tuned as soon as I take it back for my 600 mile tuneup. You actually feel every bump on the road. I would not suggest riding your girlfriend/wife until you soften the suspension.

Lastly, the clutch. The clutch is a little tricky on this bike. It take a lot of getting use to, plus it will take a deft hand to release from traffic lights in a hurry. I have tried adjusting the cable, but it still releases really fast. I will also have it looked at around 600 miles.

has anyone riden a broken in 04? If so, how does she ride?

·
Back in the Saddle - 2004 R1
6 Posts
Well I am new to this forum and I get my new R1 this afternoon. I am not new to R1's as I had a 1998 until last spring. I did quite a bit to it, but am not sure what, if anything, I will do to this one.

Anyone got much more than breakin miles on one?

R

·
Invisus, Inauditus, Intimidus
116 Posts
1500 miles

I have 1500 on mine, close to needing a new rear tire, just did my first chain adjustment. I'm weigh 160 pds, if that helps. This thing rules the corners!!!

·
6 Posts
Well I got it and it is all that the articles promised. Initial impressions. More stable entering a turn than my 1998. Turn in does not appear as quick but mid corner corrections are less prone to upset the rear

Power, hard to tell, as I am still breaking it in and I am very careful to follow the break in rules.

I have been involved in a long distance move for the last week so riding opportunities have been limited.

Has anyone done an aftermarket exhaust? I put D&D pipes on my 1998 and the sound was better, but no real power gain.

R

·
Registered
3 Posts
The more I ride my red 04 the more I love it. Almost have 3k on the bike, so its broken in by any measure. I know around 8 things really start to wake up. The tractorable, very easy to ride in town bike puts on its game face.

There is a sound that the air intakes make with the box that is about a sweet sound as any next to a built small block running down the quarter. It makes this sound and you know its time to hang on, because it simply just goes and I am about 240 pounds. There is nothing funner now then slamming that thing into corners around 8 grand and pinning it between corners. I have been riding for over 20 years, dirt and street, this is the best bike I have ever been on. The power, stopping, cornering, and the way the red gets a candy effect at night.

·
6 Posts
Good to swap passionate thoughts with another fanatic. I am working as hard as I can to pack on the breakin miles so I can hear the sound you describe and feel the rush.

Your comments about a small block chevy are interesting. My 'old' bike, now my wife's primary ride, is a 1986 VFR750(Polished, ported, 5 way grind, aggressive cam, wider wheel at the rear and 4 into 1 exhaust). Now THAT bike sounds like a small block chevy. I bought the bike new when I lived in Canada so it has KM speedometer etc.

When I ride with my wife I never even get a second look - even with me on my R1. She is 5'3" and about 115 lbs so you get the picture.

I have been riding seriously since I was 18. I used to race S2 and H2's for Manley Enterprises in Canada. Boy that goes back a way. I remeber the H2 as the bike with a hinge in the frame(not the swing arm). I am now 52 and still can scuff a knee.

Russ

·
MMMMMMMMM3
615 Posts
Got my blue one 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, I've been on business for 8 days out of 14, therefore, haven't had as much time to rid her as much as I like. That hasn't stopped me in breaking her in. I've got 770 miles and another 230, I'll be in heaven.

Looking forward to going home tomorrow. :jump

1 - 20 of 27 Posts