Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 04 R1's I'm seeing at the local dealerships all have this very cheesy looking thin black plastic thing, which I suppose is a heat shield, on the right side next to the piece of pipe with the cat and going to the cans. All the previous photos and even the Yamaha 2004 Sportbike catalog shows the R1 without that ugly piece of plastic. It looks like a last minute effort to block some of the heat from the riders right leg.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
Greg Crowe said:
The 04 R1's I'm seeing at the local dealerships all have this very cheesy looking thin black plastic thing, which I suppose is a heat shield, on the right side next to the piece of pipe with the cat and going to the cans. All the previous photos and even the Yamaha 2004 Sportbike catalog shows the R1 without that ugly piece of plastic. It looks like a last minute effort to block some of the heat from the riders right leg.

Thoughts?
That's the first thing I took off, even before the reflectors.

·
Anyone see a Honda I'm hungry
748 Posts
Tarl said:
Doesn't bother me, so mine is staying on. :)

At least for now.

Tarl
Mine too . I think it's more of a cosmetic thang than heat shield . I am removing the Gold colored plastic over the cans though . Grind awat thos brackets and it looks good .

·
Banned
36 Posts
I have not noticed it yet. I will look when I get mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
had to remove mine when i installed my graves, it would not fit anymore. i think it looked fine though.. i would have put it back on..

·
Registered
113 Posts
i saw a red R1 in person at a local dealer. i thought the black heat strip looked like shit. i would take it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts