Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded in my 00 gixxer 750 for a 04 R1 and have a years riding exp. , should I upgrade the damper to an ohlins when it comes in or is the stock one working well? Just don't want to crash it before I can show it off a little. You guys think it's going to be a big differance in ride cause I'm a tad nervous but the bike was to sweet to resist.

·
R1-Forum
1,605 Posts
NorthTroyBoy:
I've found for street usage (and trackdays) the stock 2004 R1 steering damper is more than adequate, however I prefer to set my steering dampers on a lower than average setting (13/14 of 16 on an Ohlins 68mm).

In my opinion, if your suspension/geometry is setup properly, in addition to proper application of throttle control; dependency on a steering damper decreases substantially.

That said, I have two SD173’s on order, both with right side capture clamps (accommodating for aftermarket clip-ons); I’m sure that a few members will seek a method to change the factory steering dampers fluid in search for decreased (or increased) dampening.

Many years ago, I changed the fluid in my TL1000R’s factory damper (prior to an Ohlins replacement) w/5-wt shock oil, the differences was phenomenal; the factory dampening on that particular bike was exceptionally high. The downside was the method of changing the fluid was terribly messy, although very straight forward (funnel, duct-tape, typical tools). I have yet to see if the 2004 R1’s damper has user access serviceability.

MartinC:
What does the 04’ R1 service manual state concerning the factory steering damper serviceability?

Thanks!

·
Registered
782 Posts
The stock 04 damper uses a ball valve that disables the damper for low speed movement, but enables it for high speed movement. So, it might not seem to be that effective until you really need it.

·
Bigger is Better
924 Posts
I think the damn thing sucks but then again i use the scotts. they should have one in a few weeks.
Dennis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts