Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Rocket or Cruiser?
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04' stock steering dampner - What good is it?

The dealership that has not gone to tech class can't tell me if the stock damper is adjustable or not. If it was adjusted from the factory it ain't gonna do me any good. Any info from you lucky owners would be helpful.

·
Thriller
3,610 Posts
No, it isn't

·
Anyone see a Honda I'm hungry
749 Posts
redbanksbound said:
The dealership that has not gone to tech class can't tell me if the stck damper is adjustable or not. If it was adjusted from the factory it ain't gonna do me any good. Any info from you lucky owners would be helpful.
It's not user adjustable but it is speed sensitive as to the amt of force when the forks move . Slow speed stuff may make it wiggle slightly but the harder the impact the greater it dampens . I haven't had any reason to doubt its ability yet and think it works perfectly .

·
Rocket or Cruiser?
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so its a visual thing... "this is where you bolt a real damper".

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the steering damper works great. I don't notice any high speed wobble and the bike handles great. I have an adjustable one on my Duc, but once I set it, I never really mess with it. So in my opinion, the stock one works great.

·
FOREVER ON MY GRIND
568 Posts
If its not adj. they wasted their time putting in on in my opinion.

·
Anyone see a Honda I'm hungry
749 Posts
gbro1201 said:
If its not adj. they wasted their time putting in on in my opinion.
It is adjustable ...just not User adjustable :lol

Each type has its benefits . I prefer the factory one instead of one that is user adjustable and works at that one setting no matter the circumstances . Over 1k of hard riding on the factory one so far and it works . Easy to steer at low speeds yet you know it is working when it needs to .

·
Registered
310 Posts
It's not adjustable because they don't want you screwing it up. It's already designed to be speed sensitive and it seems to work quite well. I did manage get one very small wiggle out of the bars yesterday but it was totally uneventful and the damper worked great.

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
A year or two ago everyone is crying around here. "why doesnt yamaha give us a damper and ram air like suzuki does..." now its there and everything throws it away...:lol what did you expect, an ohlins damper stock?

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
My initial riding impression with the 04 is that the stock damper works great. I had no hint of headshake or any high speed instability at all. And other than the absence of any shake or instability, the presence of the damper is transparent.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
no to be a dick or anything, but all dampers that use oil and orifice type control would technically be "speed sensitive"

If you remember from high school science class (yes know its a long time ago) if you try to compress a fluid through an opening it will actually resist that compression. The more force you apply, the more it resists.....
However, the larger the orifice, the less it resists.
hence it is technically speed sensitive
therefore what you have in and "adjustable" damper is the ability to control that reaction, whereas the stock one is set at a particular range.
Personally, i'd bet that the stock one is perfectly suitable for all but the most aggressive track riding.

Where's Chuck when you need him..................

8,542 Posts
R1Budha said:
no to be a dick or anything, but all dampers that use oil and orifice type control would technically be "speed sensitive"

If you remember from high school science class (yes know its a long time ago) if you try to compress a fluid through an opening it will actually resist that compression. The more force you apply, the more it resists.....
therefore what you have in and "adjustable" damper is the ability to control that reaction, whereas the stock one is set at a particular range.
Personally, i'd bet that the stock one is perfectly suitable for all but the most aggressive track riding.

Makes perfect sense to me Budha. Good way to explain it. I was picturing the inside of the damper as I read your response.:thumbup

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If you don't like the stock damper take it off and see what happens over ruff pavement. I'll bet you put it back on in a hurry. Or you could spend $500 for a adjustable one that will remain at one setting for 99% of the time. Duh!!!

·
Whatever
325 Posts
The stock damper saved my butt when someone ran into my left rear quarter at Jennings. He tried to go underneath me. The guy bounced off of me and his bike went cartwheeling. My R1 went crazy whipping around but the damper immediately bought it under control. I guarantee the damper works great.

·
MY R1 ATE THE BANK!
1,447 Posts
R1Budha said:

:iamwithst

ITS A DAMPER NOT A DAMPNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
R1-Forum
1,628 Posts
Many may not be aware of this, but the 2004 R1 steering damper has a feature that inhibits/limits dampening at low-to-moderate speeds via a check ball inside the damper that restricts flow only when sudden-to-violate thrust movements are detected (i.e. headshake); similar, yet far simpler than Honda’s “HESS”.

This would explain why many have found the factory equipped damper to be quite adequate for typical usage.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts