Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Attached are a couple of pics after a lowside. Entering a tight right-hander, I tucked the front, slid the right side of the bike on the asphalt, crossing over other direction of traffic. After the front wheel hit a raised earth berm on the shoulder of the road (wooded area, so road is 'carved' through woods) , I'm guessing the rear came around (because the bike ended-up facing the opposite direction of travel when all said and done). Speed was slow (40 mph?). When the rear came around, the right side of the tail must have then made impact.

Now that these subframes are removable, what are you guys doing, especially you guys that race open class (and no doubt have had to deal with this)? "Pursueding" the subframe back into place or replacing?

thanks,

Mark

Attachments

·
Will stoppie for coyotes
495 Posts
I'd replace it. That's cast aluminum alloy and is likely to crack if "persuaded" back into position. Even though you may not be able to see the cracks, there will probably be at least embedded micro-fractures that wouldn't be visible except with an x-ray and a microscope, it'll never be as strong and I'd never trust it.

·
Will stoppie for coyotes
495 Posts
kook said:
sound advice - know all too well about cast alum - I thought it was extruded though?
The '04+ models are cast, just like the main frame, IIRC the entire subframe is one piece. The earlier models used extruded square tubing bent and welded together (nowhere near as stiff either).

A few weeks back a friend and I were strapping our bikes down on a trailer, he has an '00 model. As he was ratcheting down the straps on the rear peg brackets you could see the whole subframe twising and flexing under the load. When we did the same on my '04 the whole bike just squatted, solid as a rock.

·
Bring It
216 Posts
First off, Glad your OK from the crash:thumbup

I would just replace the subframe:fact

That bike is badass:yesnod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts