Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

04' Tail Section Mod!

2K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  rydfree 
#1 ·
What would be the best way to cut the bottom portion of tail section below the license plate? That has definitely got to go now! What have others done?

#3 · (Edited)
fastlife said:
What would be the best way to cut the bottom portion of tail section below the license plate? That has definitely got to go now! What have others done?
Roto-Zip, higher RPM's & cleaner cut, smooth cut with sand paper than scotch brite, final step is Mothers - Back to Black :thumbup

Added touch to make it look professional - apply black door edge guard to cut-off area :yesnod

#4 ·
Re: Re: 04' Tail Section Mod!

rorlow said:
Roto-Zip, higher RPM's & cleaner cut, smooth cut with sand paper than scotch brite, final step is Mothers - Back to Black :thumbup

Added touch to make it look professional - apply black door edge guard to cut-off area :yesnod
:iamwithst This is exactly what I did, minus the scotch brite and Mothers. Looks good too!

#10 ·
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by rorlow
Roto-Zip, higher RPM's & cleaner cut, smooth cut with sand paper than scotch brite, final step is Mothers - Back to Black

Added touch to make it look professional - apply black door edge guard to cut-off area
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
uhh i dont think i follow your method...post some pics or any other fourms that show this...thanks

#16 ·
Big Daddy said:
and where would you mount the plate??

BD
Lift rear seat , remove 4 allen head bolts , disconnect a few wires and the whole thing falls out . Use plastic plugs to fill in holes . Tag bracket relocation...Cut small bracket from sheetmetal , bend and mount between rear pegs using the two snap in fasteners that Yamaha so graciously put there . Done .

Attachments

#21 ·
do you have a better side pic to see the clearance from the plate to the tire?:)

#24 ·
r1-superstar said:
Yeah, and that ugly pipe guard too. :fact

Oh wait, it's still there. :eek:
Actually just haven't gotten around to everything . I am taking the side shields off and grinding the welds down so the black paint is a temp fix . I sorta like the pipe shield though , it blends in with the frame quite well . I'm going to take it off just to see how it looks sometime soon .

#25 ·
Big Daddy said:
and under moderate suspension compression the tire doesn't hit it?? 2 up may be a problem huh?

BD
I put a slight bend in the bottom of the plate as can be seen in SMOKEUU's picture . I've rode twoup and solo quite hard with no problem .

#26 ·
Daekwan said:
Damnnnnnnnnn Smokey!!!

The Iforce cans look SWEET!
Yes they do !! Ya'll quit posting pics of aftermarket pipes . I keep saying I don't need them but the little voice in my head keeps listening to other people !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.